Which C-130 Variant ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

I'm sure someone can tell me what variant of C-130 this is, from Davis Monthan AFB ?.
Taken in 2000 at Mildenhall. I assume the wires are antennas, but what is the trapeze like framework
underneath ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226077[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

13 years

73-1590/DM EC-130H 355th Wing, so not an MC-130E.

Member for

14 years

I did think it might be for Drone recovery, but there would need to be some accurate flying to avoid the props.

Member for

10 years 7 months

I'm sure someone can tell me what variant of C-130 this is, from Davis Monthan AFB ?.
Taken in 2000 at Mildenhall. I assume the wires are antennas, but what is the trapeze like framework
underneath ?

EC-130H Compass Call (electronic warfare) variant.

Member for

16 years

EC-130H Compass Call (electronic warfare) variant.

Concur with EC-130 and a signals intelligence antenna. The "trapeze" aft of the ramp helps keep the aft antenna in shape. This tail mounted array is known informally as the "Cheese Grater" for obvious reasons.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Exactly - you can see the lower wire arrays attach to the corners of that structure.

Member for

14 years

Thanks gentlemen. After nearly 14yrs, I finally find out what it was I took a photo of !

According to Wikiwhatsit: "....The system attempts to disrupt enemy command and control communications and
limits adversary coordination essential for enemy force management..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_EC-130H_Compass_Call

Member for

14 years

Regarding the "...Fulton surface-to-air recovery system...", I believe this was primarily designed for recovering downed aircrew in Vietnam.
Does anyone know if it was used much in that conflict ?

I remember seeing it demonstrated at an airshow (using a dummy), at Bentwaters I think.

Member for

16 years

Regarding the "...Fulton surface-to-air recovery system...", I believe this was primarily designed for recovering downed aircrew in Vietnam.
Does anyone know if it was used much in that conflict ?

I remember seeing it demonstrated at an airshow (using a dummy), at Bentwaters I think.

I do not think the Fulton was ever used for a Vietnam shoot down rescue. Special ops yes, aircrew rescue no. This source, "PJ's in Vitenam" says it was not used for operational recoveries. Seems the ballon was a give away to the enemy. Helicopters were rpeferred. page 224. http://books.google.com/books?id=kAI-VBk8K8gC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=fulton+recovery+system++used+in+vietnam&source=bl&ots=xvUYfxmEVE&sig=8OpYLzHMIsUGmwvmHcJL3GWM630&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WE8XU4CBMayO1AGmsYHQAg&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=fulton%20&f=false