Poland wants 5th gen fighters.. who will win?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 11 months

With almost every other Eastern European air force trying to get rid of its fighter fleet, Poland goes the opposite direction and wants 5th gen fighters.
if this keeps up, it may be superior to the Luftwaffe! Time for Poland's revenge?

Perhaps Poland can into space?

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

Wasn't Poland a satellite already for 50 years. I bet they don't wanna go to moon. Somehow I figure after massive land gains in the west after WW II Poland might have revenge against USSR in mind ( which doesn't exist so.. ). OTOH I am no expert in polish affairs. What happened in KATYN definitely won't stay in Katyn as we all know ( old phrases won't apply ). I think they just want to have outstanding AF to protect them from future conflicts and stay in touch with developing techniques.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Wasn't Poland a satellite already for 50 years. I bet they don't wanna go to moon.

lol. clever

Somehow I figure after massive land gains in the west after WW II Poland might have revenge against USSR in mind ( which doesn't exist so.. ). OTOH I am no expert in polish affairs. What happened in KATYN definitely won't stay in Katyn as we all know ( old phrases won't apply ). I think they just want to have outstanding AF to protect them from future conflicts and stay in touch with developing techniques.

conflicts with who?

Member for

15 years 2 months

lol. clever

conflicts with who?

Sorry not so clever.....conflict with anyone...seen the speeded up history of europe on video/YouTube ?

Here; http://www.wimp.com/presentday/

Member for

15 years 2 months

...Time for Poland's revenge?
Sometimes, words cannot describe idiocy...

The answer to the question. F-35!

There you go, all done. Move on to making a new thread.

Member for

13 years 5 months

It would've been nice to have this thread without the nonsense.

F-35 would certainly be the favoured candidate given the rumoured timescale. Other contenders Gripen E/F, Rafale, KF-X.

For those more familiar with the political scene, is there any possibility of PAK FA being considered?

Member for

15 years 2 months

F-35 would certainly be the favoured candidate giving the rumoured timescale. Other contenders Gripen E/F, Rafale, KF-X.

For those more familiar with the political scene, is there any possibility of PAK FA being considered?

Poland has a long tradition of indigenous aeroplanes. Why can't they make one on their own ?

Member for

18 years 9 months

This is a joke, yes? In response to the joke about PAK-FA?

Member for

11 years 10 months

Poland is a NATO country now. I don't see the Russians selling them the PAK-FA, no matter how strapped for cash they might be.

Member for

10 years 11 months

F-35 would certainly be the favoured candidate given the rumoured timescale. Other contenders Gripen E/F, Rafale, KF-X.

thread should be fine as long as EELightning stays out of it, which is likely since I doubt Poland has any interest in Typhoons ;)
but if they can't afford F-35s what are the options?

Russian: They're still bitter over Katyn and the airplane crash, but they opted to keep their MiG-29s going as well as other Russian military purchases. outside but small chance
Korean: Could be cheaper but the Koreans don't even know what they want
Turkey: I think Turkey would finish their 5th gen aircraft before Korea does
Sweden: Aren't they working with Turkey?
China: J-31 a realistic choice in terms of costs, but not strategic.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/02/23/polish-air-force-new-fighters-f35/
By Jacek Siminski
Poland about to buy fifth generation fighter jets. Which ones is still unclear.

During a conference held on Feb. 6, 2014, Ministry of National Defence announced Poland will buy 64 fifth generation jets.

The new aircraft will be delivered between 2022 and 2030. In the meanwhile the Su-22 Fitters, initially set to be retired by 2015, will be modernized and kept flyable until the new planes arrive.

The sum allocated to the procurement of the future aircraft is around 2.8B Polish Zloty (930M USD).

Considered the strong ties with Lockheed Martin (the Polish Air Force already operates the F-16 Block 52+), the first candidate for the role of Warsaw’s future aircraft is the F-35. But since F-35A has a pricetag around 100 USD million apiece, the purchase of the Joint Strike Fighter is quite unlikely.

The Lightning II is very expensive, and would seriously hamper the rest of the Polish Armed Forces modernization plan, which includes new helicopters, submarines, new air defenses and anti-missile shield.

Member for

15 years 2 months

The numbers in the article from The Aviationist are just not adding up. They say the total budget for procurement is only $930mil. However, for 64 planes that is only $14.5 mil per plane. You likely could not buy modernized & refurbed F-16s for that cheap, let alone the "5th gen" fighters they are talking about now.

On the flip side, the original announcement mentioned a price of $115mil in 2021 which is much more than the projected Gross Weapon System (GWS) price at that time (low $90's). Add the training, tech support, transport, and weapons to the 2021 GWS and $115 per F-35A is doable.

Member for

13 years 5 months

if they can't afford F-35s what are the options?

Ordering fewer F-35s than originally planned....

Typhoon should be out of the picture in the mooted timeframe. Does anyone know when production will cease at current orders?

SH and F-16 out of the picture also.

Rafale may still be in the picture off the back of India and rumoured post-F4 "Rafale NG".

Gripen E/F certainly in the picture.

TF-X and KF-X ... question is if either will be ready in time.

PAK FA is a political question.

UCAVs would also be an option in the mooted timeframe.

Questions of indigenous assembly/production and technology transfer may also be relevant given national history and noting that Poland is one of the few major European nations with a 'bright' medium-term outlook.

In any case it's certainly a lot more interesting and ambitious than replacing Su-22s with Predators! Glad they shot that idea in the back of the head...

Member for

11 years 9 months

Polish sources said that there is only a plan to buy 64 new generation fighter, but without any serious decision up to now. Gen. Drewniak didn't confirm that the wanted aircraft is F-35.

http://www.defence24.pl/news_mon-chce-kupic-do-2030-r-64-samoloty-wielozadaniowe-v-tej-generacji

Minister Tomasz Siemoniak commented on Twitter our article. "The long-term plans for 2030 include various options for preserving and enhancing the capacity. There is no decision"

I don't think that Poland will buy sth without competition. Probably 4+ gen fighter will be incuded due to cost reason:

http://www.altair.com.pl/news/view?news_id=12775

Eurofighter is for sure one of the options, and EADS present Eurofighter for Poland in many occasion:

http://www.altair.com.pl/mspo-report/view?article_id=196

Member for

15 years 4 months

Son of Taranis?

Repackaged tyffie in a stealth shell?

You do know that Poland Ukraine and Uk signed a tripartite defence pact in 94?

Member for

15 years 8 months

Poland about to buy fifth generation fighter jets. Which ones is still unclear

Poland about to buy 64 fifth generation fighter jets. But F-35s seem to be unaffordable

During a conference held on Feb. 6, 2014, Ministry of National Defence announced Poland will buy 64 fifth generation jets.

The new aircraft will be delivered between 2022 and 2030.

Assuming PAK-FA would not be considered the only 5G option in the timeframe is F-35 so I don't see there being any other possibility. Do the Polish media report that the general said 5G?

Member for

15 years 2 months

thread should be fine as long as EELightning stays out of it, which is likely since I doubt Poland has any interest in Typhoons ;)
Yes indeed, because I'm incredibly renowned for aggressively stating the Typhoon should be selected in every thread there is when it comes to other countries looking for a new fighter. I'm sure you can provide examples.

If Poland cannot afford the F-35, then why not the Gripen...

Member for

10 years 11 months

Yes indeed, because I'm incredibly renowned for aggressively stating the Typhoon should be selected in every thread there is when it comes to other countries looking for a new fighter. I'm sure you can provide examples.

sure can.
Any thread with Rafale in it :)

Member for

15 years 8 months

If Poland cannot afford the F-35, then why not the Gripen...

If Poland cannot afford the F-35, then why not... make an offer for the RAF's tranche 1 Typhoons? I think there is talk of them being withdrawn by 2020.

Member for

15 years 2 months

sure can.
Any thread with Rafale in it :)
Must have been the times when you went under different Usernames with a type of food after an Abbreviation, eh.

Member for

15 years 2 months

If Poland cannot afford the F-35, then why not... make an offer for the RAF's tranche 1 Typhoons? I think there is talk of them being withdrawn by 2020.
It would depend on what they want them for. There was talk, then there wasn't, then there was, now it seems there isn't...

In any case, I'm not sure why they'd want Typhoon when there's cheaper alternatives available that are still capable of packing a solid punch, Gripen.

Member for

15 years 8 months

It would depend on what they want them for. There was talk, then there wasn't, then there was, now it seems there isn't...

In any case, I'm not sure why they'd want Typhoon when there's cheaper alternatives available that are still capable of packing a solid punch, Gripen.

But why Gripen if they already have F-16? Cheaper to keep logistics simple and buy more F-16.

My guess for approximate cost of buying and integrating 60 aircraft at 2014 prices:

F-35 - $9 billion+
Gripen E - $5 billion+
F-16 - $4 billion+

Of course the weighting that operation cost is given could decide the outcome. All reports suggest Gripen E is cheaper to operate than F-16.