http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/10/marines-to-begin-crashing-ospreys-on-okinawa/

:applause:

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

duffelblog

Member for

14 years 3 months

What is the attrition rate for the Osprey across all the services? Do the USMC lose more than anyone else? Is the aircraft more prone to falling out of the sky than any other rotor craft?

Member for

14 years 1 month

You need to appreciate what the "duffelblog" website is about.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Well I got the general idea, I wasn't sure that it warranted posting as news that was all.

Maybe I am confused....

Member for

24 years 3 months

duffelblog = spoof website

Member for

16 years 8 months

What is the attrition rate for the Osprey across all the services? Do the USMC lose more than anyone else? Is the aircraft more prone to falling out of the sky than any other rotor craft?

Not at all. Since 2007 when they became operational, the V-22 has had three crashes (two USAF CV-22, one USMC MV-22) which resulted in a total of 6 fatalities, and five minor incidents in which aircraft were damaged but no injuries resulted. This includes its operational and combat deployments. This is over a fleet of 31 USAF and 164 USMC Ospreys.

Member for

18 years 10 months

As of last month the USMC had 14 operational, one training, and one developmental Mv-22 squadrons.

There were only 3 operational and one training CH-46 squadrons left in the USMC.

Member for

18 years 4 months

This article on DUFFLEBLOG had me in tears of laughter:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/11/marines-hymn-heavens-scenes/

Especially this paragraph!

According to St. Peter, God was eventually forced to replace the Marines: first with the Coast Guard, so they would have at least one legitimate mission, but eventually with the Air Force, although Heaven lacks the typical amenities found on most airbases and is considered a hardship tour by most Airmen.

:applause:

Member for

14 years 3 months

Yes very droll, but a whole website dedicated to the same sort of thing?

Anyway, I tend to jump on bad news stories about the Osprey because its one of those aircraft (like the F35B) that people made their mind up about when it was still on the drawing board, and actually it works well.