Eurofighter Typhoon Discussion and News 2014

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 9 months

E-scan Radar Moves A Step Closer for Typhoon

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/150641/typhoon-aesa-radar-nears-flight_tests.html

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Looks like an eventful year ahead, what's in the pipeline for 2014?

1.) After the first flight of BS0116 late last year, we are looking at the completion of qualification and clearance for the T3A EIS known as block 20.
2.) After the beginning of Storm Shadow integration last year, we'll see further tests to progress the integration, flight testing of the KEPD-350 Taurus is slatted to begin as well.
3.) After accomplishment of the P1Eb/SRP12 flight trials late last year all evidence has been produced and existing aircraft can finally be upgraded, after they have received their national clearances.
4.) Drop 3 flight trials are basically complete and induction on RAF T1 Typhoons should follow in the not to distant future, probably followed by the Luftwaffe and other customers from 2015 onwards.
5.) Drop 4 development is well underway and flight tests should begin in summer.
6.) Captor-E flight trials will begin on IPA5 and will be supported by IPA8 from ~summer.
7.) Aerodynamic modifications known as the Aero Mod Kit are probably flight tested this year as well.
8.) P2Ea/T2EP2 development is well underway since quite some time, even before the formal contract was signed on 30th October last year. Flight tests may also begin towards the end of the year or possibly from early 2015.
9.) Meteor integration will be progressed as are certain elements for the next stage P2Eb/T2EP3 prior signature of another contract (I'm not too optimistic this happens this year)
10.) Export campaigns, right now it doesn't look too well in the UAE, but there is still hope in the Middle East, but I'm once again not too optimistic that a new customer will be found this year. Hopefully the UK and KSA can conclude negitations on the revised SALAM deal.

Note: Everything being said must be consumed with care as it might be subject to changes.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the heads up, Scorpion82.

Tweeted earlier today by Reporter RAF News:

"From 27 Jan #RAF Typhoon, Tornado and E3D units are talking part in Red Flag 14-1, the most challenging and complex air exercise of the year."

They got the 'Slayer' nickname last time, wonder what they'd get this time round? :dev2:

Member for

18 years 8 months

You're welcome. We'll see, would be interesting to know whether they will deploy T1s with Drop 2/R2Q/UKDE again or whether they may sent the first T2 examples at SRP10. I suppose it's the former as the latter aren't numerous enough and probably still in OpEval.

Btw Taurus flight trials are scheduled to begin very soon.;)

Member for

15 years 3 months

I would suppose the former too. I'd guess the trials and exercises at home are a priority first before they're sent on international exercises. Saying that, I'd also suppose a mixed fleet could be sent to Red Flag '14 if the needs arise.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Taurus trials as well. It'd be interesting following the progress along side the Storm Shadow trials. :)

Member for

18 years 8 months

The current Taurus/Storm Shadow trials are still flutter trials only i.e. How is the weapon affected by the aircraft and the other way round and are the mechanical interfaces up to the task. The carriage envelope will be expanded and separation trials will follow. Afterwards the electrical interfaces will be tested as well as the communication between the avionics and the weapon before we'll finally see "firing trials".

Interesting times lie ahead in terms of the aircraft's evolution.

Member for

18 years 8 months

IPA7 performed the first flutter flight test with two TAURUS training rounds, two IRIS-T and a 1000 l centreline drop tank from Manching today. Images have been taken by some spotters, but as they are their property I'm not going to share them.

Member for

18 years 8 months

Other operators already use ACMI/FPR for training/exercises.

Member for

15 years 3 months

I think the priority for Red Flag is to make sure RAIDS is integrated on the aircraft. At the moment, the Typhoon is making kills but as there is no ASRAAM with RAIDS capability to prove it, the Yanks won't accept the kill. They may get a surprise this time!
I'm under the impression the Yanks were very impressed with the kill ratio RAF Typhoons tally'd up, they underestimated Typhoon's BVR capabilities it also seemed.

Member for

12 years 2 months

First flight of Eurofighter with Taurus missile

[ATTACH=CONFIG]224588[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

15 years 9 months

Kuwait would have signed a letter of intent for 28 Typhoon

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/20140115trib000809756/le-typhoon-eurofighter-en-pole-position-au-koweit-.html

Good news for Typhoon. Moving closer to a deal in Kuwait. I wonder if we will end up seeing 150+ Typhoons stationed in Arabia, 150+ Rafales stationed in India and 100+ Gripens stationed in Brazil.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Good news for Typhoon. Moving closer to a deal in Kuwait. I wonder if we will end up seeing 150+ Typhoons stationed in Arabia, 150+ Rafales stationed in India and 100+ Gripens stationed in Brazil.

100+ Gripens in Brazil? I don't know about that...

Member for

18 years 10 months

If Gripen replaces all the F-5EM & AMX one for one, the total would be over 100.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Gripen could replace 3 air force types - F5, AMX, M2K and possibly the navy's A4 carrier aircraft (if Sea Gripen were developed). Would make training, logistics, maintenance a lot simpler and cheaper.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Has that Kuwiat thing firmed up? It seems fishy to me. French news agency reporting a conversation or somesuch.....

Member for

15 years 9 months

Has that Kuwiat thing firmed up? It seems fishy to me. French news agency reporting a conversation or somesuch.....

I read about the progress in Kuwait on a French website on which it said that a letter of intent had been signed. Can't find what I read now but I presume there will be months of negotiation before the terms of any contract are finalised - if the process gets that far.

Member for

11 years 11 months

If Gripen replaces all the F-5EM & AMX one for one, the total would be over 100.

I seriously doubt that is going to happen. The bean counters in Brasilia are going to start seeing jet fighters as an added, unnecessary expense.

Member for

14 years 3 months

I am not saying you made it up, I just think the fact that it comes from a French website and hasn't been picked up by any of the English language trade journals makes it a bit suspect.

After the whole UAE farce and Saudi contract negotiations, I'm not biting until the aircraft are being delivered.

Member for

15 years 9 months

I am not saying you made it up, I just think the fact that it comes from a French website and hasn't been picked up by any of the English language trade journals makes it a bit suspect.

La Tribune is quite a major publication IIRC. What La Tribune says (my translatation): "According to several sources which are in agreement, the Eurofighter consortium (BAE Systems, EADS and Finmeccanica) have signed an LoI (Letter of intent) with this Arabian peninsular emirate."

As you say, it seems a little strange that La Tribune claims several sources for this development yet the English language aviation press makes does not mention it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Re The reports of a Kuwaiti deal.

M Valerio Bonelli ‏tweeted that :- this is just a press speculation