Kfir Block 60

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

With IAI saying they can deliver 50 Kfir block 60 air-frames at around 20 million US each who would buy them and how will this affect sales of Gripen and JF-17 and FA-50

For me the likes of Sri-Lanka might take up to 12 but who else?

Original post

Member for

16 years 11 months

in wikipedia "IAI Kfir"(last modified 6 nov 2013) ;

By October 2013, Israel Aerospace Industries was in "very advanced negotiations" with at least two air forces interested in the Kfir Block 60

friendly, Etienne

Member for

14 years 1 month

Here is an interesting brochure that goes into great detail about the block 60's capabilities:

ftp://ftpd.iai.co.il/KFIR/Military%20Ac%20upgrde%20capabilities%20-%20LAHAV%20FOR%20MEDIA%202013.pdf

I could see some Eastern European countries buying this to replace old soviet equipment. Hell even Argentina might go for these aircraft seeing as they still operate their original fleet of Mirages...

Member for

12 years 2 months

Speciallt considering that some Lybian pilots are going to be trained on mirage F1 (have no moe details)

Member for

17 years 8 months

Not really a threat to Gripen sales IMHO, because these do not reach the level of a Gripen in capability.

They would basically make the FA-50 look overly expensive in comparison, but wouldn't impact T-50 Golden Eagle sales.

They do essentially match the JF-17 technology-wise and will be a fine way for western leaning countries to opt out of Chinese influence.

Member for

11 years

With IAI saying they can deliver 50 Kfir block 60 air-frames at around 20 million US each who would buy them and how will this affect sales of Gripen and JF-17 and FA-50

For me the likes of Sri-Lanka might take up to 12 but who else?

does IAI still produce new Kfirs or is that the price of just the upgrades?

Member for

11 years 5 months

does IAI still produce new Kfirs or is that the price of just the upgrades?

These will be over hauled upgraded air-frames with zero hours engine new wiring -glass cockpit -AESA radar - data link all the 4.5 gen stuff

Member for

18 years 10 months

does IAI still produce new Kfirs

Not for many years, but it has dozens in storage.

Member for

14 years 1 month

The last new built Kfirs (and in fact the only new-build exports) were the Colombian ones.
The others (Ecuador, Sri Lanka) were just recoinditioned ex-IDF airframes.

Member for

11 years

These will be over hauled upgraded air-frames with zero hours engine new wiring -glass cockpit -AESA radar - data link all the 4.5 gen stuff

are you sure about the AESA? the brochure says its using the 2032 radar

Member for

14 years 4 months

Surprising poor diction and rather chaotic organization of that brochure.:) That being said, indeed there's hardly any mention about an AESA except maybe once ("EASA"?). So what's the difference between the Kfir block 60 and Kfir C10 then?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Surprising poor diction and rather chaotic organization of that brochure.:) That being said, indeed there's hardly any mention about an AESA except maybe once ("EASA"?). So what's the difference between the Kfir block 60 and Kfir C10 then?

Time-scale of the hardware and the related software is the difference. A true AESA with the related software is just too costly for an upgrade as long as someone is willing to pay for that extra. Modern radars are modular built.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Block 60 shall have EL/M-2052 AESA, Link 16, new mission computer, new navigation system, new cockpit layout.

Member for

13 years 10 months

The Block 60s looks good on paper it has everything you would ask for in a 4th Gen aircraft. Yet its only drawback is its outdated air frame its a tough sale when a buyer could easily get some used Gripens that are still in great structure conditions but with the upside of having lower hrs on them.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Despite the sloppy brochure (and video if you've seen it on YouTube...touts the features but uses a Top Gun clip or two which is weird...), I think the new Kfir makes for an interesting alternative to some of the other smaller types on the market though I'm sure many will point to the American supplied engine as a weakness from a political perspective. The airframe itself isn't state of the art by any means, but it's small size and good overall performance have to count for something even if it can't pull 9Gs and do some of the other fancy air show tricks that people like so much. It's got a great stores carrying capability, and with 9 hardpoints you can spread things around a bit. The weapons suite seems to be pretty good and the avionics are certainly solid though I admit I don't know much about the 2052 radar. Based on what I've heard about IAI's avionics, I'd wager it's a good set.

Personally I doubt we will see any sales, but I'm hoping that at least one operator will jump on board as I'd like to see the Mirage III/V family continue for quite some time (again, provided they continue to be safe to fly airframes). Interesting proposal to say the least!

On a personal note, I love the look that the 2032 radar gives the Kfir...that big nose suits it!

Member for

14 years 1 month

The Block 60s looks good on paper it has everything you would ask for in a 4th Gen aircraft. Yet its only drawback is its outdated air frame its a tough sale when a buyer could easily get some used Gripens that are still in great structure conditions but with the upside of having lower hrs on them.

The airframes offered by IAI are reconditioned to zero hours with service life expectancy of 8,000 hours.
The same goes for the J79-J1E which are zero hours with 1,600 hours MTBO.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Hope they'll pay a few royalties to Dassault (after all, they stole the design)

Member for

14 years 1 month

They didn't. The alleged masterpeice Mossad action in Switzerland was actually done with silent approval of Dassault.

Member for

12 years 2 months

POssible. Clues?

Member for

24 years 3 months

If anything Dassault wishes they could've gotten a few more miles out of that airframe...though I suppose they tried with the Mirage 3NG.

Member for

14 years 1 month

POssible. Clues?

I think it was Ostrovsky.. Not entirely sure, though..
Can anyone confirm? Haven't read his book in years.