Survey of 1990s Soviet-era arms give-away

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Throughout the 1990s the Russians gave away a large amount of their military equipment in exchange for relief of Soviet-era debt. I was wondering whether it would be possible to do a quick survey of what was actually given away and to which countries. Just to be clear, I'm not interested in traditional arms sales but in equipment given away to relieve Soviet-era debt.

From memory, I can think of a few instances (T-80s + a lot of other kit to South Korea; BUK SAMs to Finland, etc.) but it would be good to get a comprehensive overview with numbers and recipient countries.

Original post

Member for

14 years 4 months

I know that the hungarians got their 28 MiG-29B/UB (the "third world" export version) as payment for debt. As for other weapons, probably most of not all the 500 or so BTR-80 APC and perhaps T-72 tanks were also part of debt payments, but i'm really not sure here. It might also be the case with ST-68 radars. Surprisingly little info on their armed forces on the net. Any hungarian members here that can help?

Member for

17 years 11 months

I would daresay it would be impossible to work out what was "given-away" as opposed to stolen, looted, sold illegally to international arms dealers...... not to mention how much was simply abandoned and forgotten. (englishrussia always makes my jaw drop at the equipment rusting away around the eastern bloc countries)

Member for

14 years 3 months

BMP-3s to South Korea were also part of debt payment.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Croatia - 10 Mi-17s
Czech Republic - Mi-35 and Mi-17.
Slovakia - 12-ish MiG-29.