Saab looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 10 months

Swedish aerospace and defence company SAAB Group looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter, according to Global Times, a tabloid under the auspices of the Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily.

To compete against various types of fifth generation fighters including China's J-31 and Japan's ATD-X Shinshin, the SAAB Group has sought help from South Korea, Finland and Taiwan to develop its newest stealth fighter, the FS-2020.

http://www.swedishwire.com/business/18196-saab-looks-to-asia-to-develop-new-stealth-fighter

I strongly doubt Taiwan would be involved with such a project, since China would punish Sweden quite severely if it happened -- but perhaps South Korea? Maybe this is the reason why they did not go for the F-35?

Or is this speculation just wrong?

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

I strongly doubt Taiwan would be involved with such a project, since China would punish Sweden quite severely if it happened -- but perhaps South Korea? Maybe this is the reason why they did not go for the F-35?

South korea already has a program for a stealth figther in place..I am sure they could consider a partnership with SAAB but then they could also partner with boeing or Lockheed who have a long working relationship with the ROKAF and Soko industry.

Member for

15 years 10 months

South korea already has a program for a stealth figther in place..I am sure they could consider a partnership with SAAB but then they could also partner with boeing or Lockheed who have a long working relationship with the ROKAF and Soko industry.

Yes they do have a program in place, and Turkey has been mentioned as a potential partner, but I have not heard that US and US companies have been mentioned in that context. Presumably there is a reason for that; perhaps Korea wants more independence than what a cooperation with the US can offer? They do know the pros and cons of working with US companies you know...

Also interesting to note that Turkey has had some interactions with Saab for their domestic fighter program.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Perhaps Korea wants to develop something on their own? Without having to rely on foreign help in design and/or production?

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well, this has been in the workings for a long time.

SAAB wants partners for a potential "Gripen stealth" or FS-2020 because the Swedish government might not want to pay for a new fighter jet. But if Sweden has a cooperation with another country, like Turkey, South Korea, Finland etc the production of FS2020 might be guaranteed.

One of the options previously mentioned was the KF-X.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220882[/ATTACH]

So when they have found a partner that, together with Swedens gvt, can guarantee the survival of the project the actual work will begin. But as i understand it the FS2020 currently is just tech demonstrator project.

Attachments

Member for

11 years 8 months

Well, this has been in the workings for a long time.

SAAB wants partners for a potential "Gripen stealth" or FS-2020 because the Swedish government might not want to pay for a new fighter jet. But if Sweden has a cooperation with another country, like Turkey, South Korea, Finland etc the production of FS2020 might be guaranteed.

One of the options previously mentioned was the KF-X.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]220882[/ATTACH]

So when they have found a partner that, together with Swedens gvt, can guarantee the survival of the project the actual work will begin. But as i understand it the FS2020 currently is just tech demonstrator project.

A twin engined stealthy fighter?

...but that would cost more than a Gripen!

And we all know that stealth will be made obsolete the next time the bad guys update their radar software, so why bother, right?

Real fighters dodge missiles until they can get to WVR and then win in a knife fight!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Now I know who you are, Mr. Sprey!

Member for

13 years 6 months

Officialy KAI KF-X concept still a twin engine stealth fighter. However with development budget set only at max USD 10 bio, KAI also prepared more modest single engine moderate stealth (whatever its means) fighter concept.

It's a fall back concept. However with ROK can not find other partner then Indonesia at this moment, considering both ROK and Indonesia current economic condition (as also the whole region economic conditions), it will be hard to get more budget then already set. So a single engine design can not be discounted, whatever the official line at this moment stated.

That singgle engine design can fit well with SAAB colaboration.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_07_22_2013_p33-598290.xml&p=1

Member for

19 years 10 months

A twin engined stealthy fighter?

...but that would cost more than a Gripen!

And we all know that stealth will be made obsolete the next time the bad guys update their radar software, so why bother, right?

Real fighters dodge missiles until they can get to WVR and then win in a knife fight!

:applause:

Member for

15 years 5 months

SAAB selling a new fighter that Sweden is not going to use ? no way
Consultant, yes

Member for

11 years

Officialy KAI KF-X concept still a twin engine stealth fighter. However with development budget set only at max USD 10 bio, KAI also prepared more modest single engine moderate stealth (whatever its means) fighter concept.

It's a fall back concept. However with ROK can not find other partner then Indonesia at this moment, considering both ROK and Indonesia current economic condition (as also the whole region economic conditions), it will be hard to get more budget then already set. So a single engine design can not be discounted, whatever the official line at this moment stated.

That singgle engine design can fit well with SAAB colaboration.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_07_22_2013_p33-598290.xml&p=1

The Korean design gets worse and worse.
they should just swallow their pride and work with the Indians on AMCA already. its pretty much what they wanted in the first place anyways.

Member for

13 years 6 months

The Korean design gets worse and worse.
they should just swallow their pride and work with the Indians on AMCA already. its pretty much what they wanted in the first place anyways.

Why worse ? Why AMCA ? With this current economic conditions continue in Asia, I don't think India can afford AMCA. The main design still there, but KAI just preparing fall back design. India did not, and still put a believe that they can finish a design like AMCA on their own. Like I said, under current economic condition in Asia, nobody except China can do it alone on a 5th gen twin engine design.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Isn't AMCA stalled anyhow?

With India's economy coming to a crunch, I don't think they'll be pumping too much money into AMCA just yet.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Isn't AMCA stalled anyhow?

Nope.

With India's economy coming to a crunch, I don't think they'll be pumping too much money into AMCA just yet.

Still doing better than a lot of countries.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Why worse ? Why AMCA ? With this current economic conditions continue in Asia, I don't think India can afford AMCA. The main design still there, but KAI just preparing fall back design. India did not, and still put a believe that they can finish a design like AMCA on their own. Like I said, under current economic condition in Asia, nobody except China can do it alone on a 5th gen twin engine design.

korea has napoleon complex. little country trying to do too much.
i do not see many other country the same economy size of korea trying to make the thing korea want to make.
aircraft carrier and stealtha irplane will forever be away from their actual skill.

korean air force know that for sure.
korea need to learn to be obedient jr partner and work with either japanese or indian.
problem is, india management is bad. if korea join, they may not see the fighter until 2060.

Member for

17 years 8 months

AMCA has been stalled since late 2012. All this wishful thinking that it will ever fly.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Does SAAB hope to develop it with Asian financial help and then sell it to the swedish air force?

Member for

15 years 5 months

swedish air force already ordered Gripen E, so they wont be a customer or finacier

Member for

19 years 10 months

So whatever customer base SAAB is looking at excludes one of its most important and largest customers..This is an important bit of info since it means that the partner would need quite a bit of investment to see the project through..

Member for

11 years 6 months

swedish air force already ordered Gripen E, so they wont be a customer or finacier

They have funded the FS2020. SAAB are just seeking external partners. What this means is that SAAB probably have doubts about the Swedish gvt actually staying in the project and thus they are seeking external partners.

What the end result of FS2020 will be is fairly open. Currently it states that it will be a testbed using available (ie from Gripen E) avionics and it will be used to test stealth capabilities in a fighter. The end result is stilll pretty open so if Korea want a twin engines stealth fighter made cheap then it will fit in the FS2020 guidelines perfectly.

If they want to design something J20-like in size and exceeding the F22 in costs then maybe Lockheed are the ones to talk to.

My guess here is that Sweden only will get 12-22 stealth fighters while letting Gripen (whatever version) be the main work horse.

Member for

12 years 11 months

AMCA has been stalled since late 2012. All this wishful thinking that it will ever fly.

Zero confirmation on it. There is only one report about the project being put on hold from the Indian Express group and no other media outlet has confirmed on it, from official sources the program is entering full scale engineering design phase early next year. There is considerable research going on both in house and at university level wrt to AMCA technologies (RAOT materials, conformal antenna arrays, FBL, GaN t/r modules). All the updates about AMCA have come around Aero India events held every two years, it's a nascent project, do not expect updates every other month.