EADS name change and reorganization

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

EADS nearing name-change to Airbus (AFP)
Any opinions on this?
(fits in both military and civil, but posters here seem more versed in both than the other forum)

I think subsuming the Eurocopter brand to Airbus is ridiculous, EC is probably the most successful global brand in helicopters.
And this would still not consolidate ALL military activity under Cassidian, because Eurocopter still runs it's own military products.
I think the EC->AB Helicopters name change should be thrown out on just the branding issue.
What sense is there for EC to lose it's branding, while Cassidian retains it's freshly invented branding, also absorbing Astrium?

But that leaves the organizational factor...
They already have said this will lead to job cuts, i.e. organizational rationalization, so I'm dubious of branding really being the main factor.
The story noted that a German would 'certainly' still head Cassidian, which with the new organization, also means controlling Astrium and Airbus military...
Making me think this is more about trying to establish a counter-pole to Airbus within the group, that is under 'competing' management from Airbus...
I don't really see France going for that, but I believe it's all up to majority vote now.
Regardless of the merits of that on face value, I think it's missing the point by trying to "buff up" Cassidian in this way...
EADS should look at disposing of or creating independent JV's with many of Cassidian's units, e.g. radar systems, consolidating European industry.
Cassidian itself is somewhat dubious, integrating it's radar and cryptography and networking with Astrium makes some sense,
but Eurofighter, Tornado, and Airbus Military don't make much sense shoved into the same division, just as Eurocopter's military products aren't.
Consolidating all military aviation, fixed wing and helicopters, into a division that cooperates with AB/EC as needed makes some sense though.

....???

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just als Eurocopters are not sold as EADS today, they won´t be sold as Airbus then. The Holding will just change the name to the same as their most prestigious part.

Member for

18 years 9 months

i think they should retain the name Eurocopter, or rename it "Airbus-Eurocopter", that way everyone is happy.
besides, renaming EC- helicopters to AB- helicopters (for example AB-135) can confuse some customers with the former Agusta-Bell (now AgustaWestland) line.

although i think Airbus is looking to become more like Boeing, remember for a long time, Boeing was synonimous for its civil airliners and military derivatives of them.
since they took over Mc Donnell Douglas and Hughes Helicopters in the early 90's, they also took over the F-15 and F/A-18 Brand, but also helicopters like the OH-6.
what is happening here in Europe is a similar event, now airbus will possess the rights to combat aircraft such as the Barracude UAV, a large portion of Eurofighter and various other programs, but these will propably be absorbed into Airbus Military.

of course it will be kinda strange at first, but im sure they will figure it out.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Just als Eurocopters are not sold as EADS today, they won�t be sold as Airbus then. The Holding will just change the name to the same as their most prestigious part.
I wouldn't say it's an equivalent "just as" situation. Eurocopter did not adopt the name "EADS Helicopters" when subsumed under the EADS holding structure, while they are now proposing to remove the Eurocopter name in favor of "Airbus Helicopters". The previous history of Aerospatiale and MBB products and the newly named Eurocopter would suggest that they would not change current product names, but future products would indeed reflect the new name.

The naming scheme is really subsidiary to the changes subsuming Astrium and Airbus Military to Cassidian (renamed to Airbus Defense with the same boss), as it's not actually changing anything else at Airbus (proper) or Eurocopter. Clearly, they are expecting much more dynamism in UAVs, where coordinating better with the sensor, networking, and satellite business makes sense, than in the manned programs of Cassidian Air Systems (Typhoon, Tornado, and even those have most new work occuring in software and electronic upgrades). I'm not certain where the intended headquarters of this Airbus Defense would be, although Munich where Cassidian is located would be the obvious location considering it is the same boss and Cassidian already functions as a holding company of diverse assets. Probably not the best time to move employment from Spain to Germany.

what is happening here in Europe is a similar event, now airbus will possess the rights to combat aircraft
Changing the name of EADS to Airbus doesn't change anything there, the Airbus division and Cassidian remain separate divisions of the same company.
EADS already owned the defunct Barracuda UCAV thru their Cassidian Air Systems/ EADS Military Air Systems subsidiaries.

Member for

18 years 10 months

The naming scheme is really subsidiary to the changes subsuming Astrium and Airbus Military to Cassidian (renamed to Airbus Defense with the same boss),...

Airbus Defence - just as EADS stands for European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V.

It isn't a US firm, & like other European companies, uses English spelling for English words.

Member for

20 years

Airbus Defence - just as EADS stands for European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V.

It isn't a US firm, & like other European companies, uses English spelling for English words.

"Airbus Defense" could almost be the french spelling then :)

Member for

18 years 10 months

Except that it'll be based in Munich & named in English . . . :D

Member for

11 years

they should just rename the whole thing
Aerospatiale

Airbus is an Air.. Bus
they should at least re-brand their combat aircraf tot
Airtank

Member for

19 years 1 month

What concerns me most is that top positions are not being based on merit alone but other factors. Also, to lose a well established brand name would be sheer folly.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Evidence that executives in general have at times the mental faculties of a 5 year old.

What does this rebrand accomplish? About all I can see is it will remove mention of Europe from the parent company name. Which of course is relevant only to the extremely stupid who would only then think its a wholly European company. Rather than anyone relevant to the industry that will know it is a European based holding with multi-ternational offices and suppliers.

Do they think they would actually have won the tanker contract with this rebrand?

Why is Airbus Military being renamed to Airbus Defence & Space? Did they come up with that one on their crayon pad. Why not retain the recognised Airbus Military and have a new division; Airbus Space?

What is wrong with Eurocopter? Last time I looked they had significant penetration into pretty much all worldwide markets.

This whole thing stinks of there being too many managers/executives/PR "gurus" with too much time on their hands. The solution to that is not a rebrand to keep them busy - it is getting rid of them.

Member for

12 years 2 months

What it performs? Sry to my german friends, but the kidnapping of aerospace industry by Germany. Near no tech input since the creation of EADS, but now even space activities will be led from Germany... (kidding of course)

Member for

18 years 11 months

Airbus will turn out just like Lockheed in the US. A totally out of control corporate behemoth milking everyone's tax dollar to built stuff that is only going to be used to attack countries that we have no business attacking in the first place.

Next thing you know it will create a subsidiary that will be its own private army à la blackwater/XE/whatever it is now named after perpretrating yet another massacre.

Huxley & Orwell are going to have the last laugh on this one.

Nic

Member for

15 years 2 months

What it performs? Sry to my german friends, but the kidnapping of aerospace industry by Germany.
Near no tech input since the creation of EADS, but now even space activities will be led from Germany... (kidding of course)
Well, I tried to state things more diplomatically, but that appears to be the case, especially including space activities as well as CASA.
I would hope that the local stake-holders would insist on a no jobs loss policy or guideline for future new hires in agreeing to transfer more management to Munich, which would mean transferring and strengthening other competences in France and Spain.

Member for

18 years 11 months

The goal here is to make a supranational entity that can't be broken down when people rightfully demand that europe as we know it (this europe deserves no capital letter) is dismantled.

Also since airbus is perceived as french here, it will probably pave the way for the political killing of Dassault and removing it from the fighter market. Europe's new fighter will be an airbus project which is going to be delievered late, at much extra cost and without full capabilities.

Nic

Member for

15 years 2 months

Never mind, Airbus really has a solid plan going by the sounds of this...

“Tom Enders has tasked the future top management of Airbus Defence & Space to develop a bottom-up concept, how the business segments can best be integrated and synergies can be realized. We expect to be in a position to provide details in the fourth quarter of this year,” an EADS spokesman said.
:very_drunk:

Astrium and CASA/Airbus Military seem to be running their programs fine, while Cassidian in particular seems the one whose management has been lacking, so putting the same people in charge of radically changing the management of all divisions seems... dubious... CASA was involved in Eurofighter from the beginning, I'm sure they have some understanding on how it would be restructured (in cooperation with BAE and Alenia).

As to what else the article says, it vaguely hints at the possibility of unwinding other Cassidian businesses, specifically EADS' holding in Atlas Elektronik, but that would seem to go for plenty of other divisions and investments as well, Patria, MBDA, Socata, and possibly the electronics/radar business.