Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Air Forces Thread #16

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cy24driver2
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2015

[QUOTE=Starsign;2271916]
    Originally posted by cy24driver2 View Post

According to what I know, all Su-24s were destroyed in the war. Either on the ground by NATO or shot down by SAMs of the anti-Gaddafi forces.
    Ah...They were just sitting ducks without any proper response of Khaddafi's SAM activities or scrambling fighter interception against the NATO strikes... What a pathetic...

Comment

• MSphere
      • Feb 2010

Ah...They were just sitting ducks without any proper response of Khaddafi's SAM activities or scrambling fighter interception against the NATO strikes... What a pathetic...
      Would you seriously expect Libyans to do interceptions with Su-24M?
      This thing does not even have A-A radar or normally carry A-A weaponry..
      Last edited by MSphere; 11th November 2015, 12:41.

Comment

• cy24driver2
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2015

[QUOTE=MSphere;2271959]
        Would you seriously expect Libyans to do interceptions with Su-24M?
        This thing does not even have A-A radar or normally carry A-A weaponry..
        Hey.. Don't get me wrong. I didn't say that the Libyans should have scrambled Su-24s to defend itself.

My point is that why didn't they scramble MiG-23 or MiG-25 or whatever from neighbouring AFBs to stop the multiple wave of NATO airstrikes.

Did The NATO initiated some sort of SEAD missions to eliminate the Libyan air defense system prior to approaching the Su-24s sitting on the ground?
        Last edited by cy24driver2; 11th November 2015, 12:35.

Comment

• swerve
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jun 2005

As I understand it, air defences were in the first set of targets. I think the integrated system was already in poor condition, & the strikes dismantled what remained. It quickly became a load of isolated aircraft & missile launchers, without a radar picture of what was happening over the territory they controlled.

Any fighter that took off would have been pretty much flying blind through airspace which was monitored by the intervening forces, from AWACS & shipboard radars - plus ground surveillance which was likely to spot them taking off. You want to fly, knowing you'll probably never know about the aircraft that shoots you down until you detect the incoming missile? There's courage, & there's pointless suicide.

Quite a few mobile SAMs survived, but switching on their radars was dangerous. They were all old types, well-known to the air forces overhead. Easily jammed, & prone to attack.
          Last edited by swerve; 11th November 2015, 12:35.
          Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
          Justinian

Comment

• STRATOSAURUS
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Apr 2006

The destruction of all Libyan fleet of Su-24MK is 100% confirmed? Seems strange to me...

Comment

• MSphere
              • Feb 2010

Hey.. Don't get me wrong. I didn't say that the Libyans should have scrambled Su-24s to defend itself.
              My point is that why didn't they scramble MiG-23 or MiG-25 or whatever from neighbouring AFBs to stop the multiple wave of NATO airstrikes.
              Did The NATO initiated some sort of SEAD missions to eliminate the Libyan air defense system prior to approaching the Su-24s sitting on the ground?
              What for? Would you sit in a MiG-23 to scramble against incoming Rafales, Typhoons or Hornets? For Ghadaffi who you don't even like too much?
              I certainly would open a bottle and watch the show, instead.

Comment

• cy24driver2
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • May 2015

Originally posted by swerve View Post
                As I understand it, air defences were in the first set of targets. I think the integrated system was already in poor condition, & the strikes dismantled what remained. It quickly became a load of isolated aircraft & missile launchers, without a radar picture of what was happening over the territory they controlled.

Any fighter that took off would have been pretty much flying blind through airspace which was monitored by the intervening forces, from AWACS & shipboard radars - plus ground surveillance which was likely to spot them taking off. You want to fly, knowing you'll probably never know about the aircraft that shoots you down until you detect the incoming missile? There's courage, & there's pointless suicide.

Quite a few mobile SAMs survived, but switching on their radars was dangerous. They were all old types, well-known to the air forces overhead. Easily jammed, & prone to
                attack.
                I remember watching one of south korean night time news footages showing the debris of what remains of USAF F-15E downed on the ground.

The two pilots seem to have made it safely back to the base thanks to the rescue effort.

Was it shotdown by the Libyan air defense system?
                Last edited by cy24driver2; 11th November 2015, 14:03.

Comment

• cy24driver2
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by MSphere View Post
                  What for? Would you sit in a MiG-23 to scramble against incoming Rafales, Typhoons or Hornets? For Ghadaffi who you don't even like too much?
                  Yeah...It takes some brave pilots loyal to Khaddafi regime.

Comment

• cy24driver2
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • May 2015

Wow.. Some brave Libyan pilots were there over the skies of misrata, which was shot down by French Mirage 2000 whilst driving a G-2 Galeb.
                    Last edited by cy24driver2; 11th November 2015, 13:55.

Comment

• AttilaA
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Sep 2011

Azerbaijan's Mi-35M and Mi-24G "Superhind" helicopters conduct ATGM launches (Mi-35M with Ataka and Mi-24G with Baryer-V) during live-fire demonstration.

Last edited by AttilaA; 11th November 2015, 21:50.

Comment

• Starsign
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2004

Only the #38 has been confirmed as shot down. The fate of the rest of the fleet remains a mystery.
                        Could it be that they were at NAPO for repairs and never made it back to Libya?
                        Yes, you're right, only #38 was shot down. However, according to what I know, all others were destroyed on the ground and there is simply no one left. Libya only bought 6 aircraft of this type, 2 were donated to Syria in 1990s, one was shot down by rebels in March 2011 and three destroyed in Syrte (Ghardabyia AB) by NATO aircraft. I have been following various Libyan air force-related Facebook pages and LAF pilots personal pages on Facebook very closely already since 2011 and never saw any photo or any mention of this type.

Comment

• Starsign
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jun 2004

MiGs of the then-united Libyan Air Force, Tripoli 2013

An SF-260 Warrior of the united LAF, picture probably taken in Benghazi, 2013. Note the pylon under the wing.

A recent photo of General Haftar's forces MiGs. The UB on the left was brought back to service in summer 2015.

A post-war shot of an inoperable ML, probably taken in Tripoli.

Pre-war pictures of an SF-260 Warrior, al-Jufra airport.

Another shot of an SF-260 at al-Jufra base.

Last edited by Starsign; 12th November 2015, 12:59.

Comment

• STRATOSAURUS
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Apr 2006

Posted on my blog on May 2015... from a Libyan Facebook page... No info about the date or place of the Su-24MK photos...
                            http://elhangardetj.blogspot.com.es/...o-del-ano.html

Comment

• Starsign
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by STRATOSAURUS View Post
                              Posted on my blog on May 2015... from a Libyan Facebook page... No info about the date or place of the Su-24MK photos...
                              Ah, yes, these photos are great! I saw them on your blog earlier in this year and found them on a Libyan AF page as well. They are from Gaddafi period.

Comment

• AttilaA
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2011

Azerbaijan's "AzAirtechServices" and South African Paramount Group created "Paramount Aerospace Azerbaijan" in September 2014, a joint venture to upgrade Azerbaijan's Mig & Su aircrafts and Mi-24 & Mi-17 helicopters. Previously some of Azerbaijan's Mi-24s were modernized by South African ATE, but the project was halted due to ATE company facing bankruptcy, which was later acquired by Paramount Group and now the upgrades will continue under "Paramount Aerospace Azerbaijan".

http://www.paramountgroup.biz/en/hom...zerbaijan.html

This is the upgraded Su-25 cockpit by "Paramount Aerospace Azerbaijan" which was displayed at Azerbaijan's ADEX 2014 arms expo.

Specifications of Su-25 upgrade.

Meanwhile it became known that Azerbaijan acquired 15 Su-25 from Georgia in 2009-2010, which means Azerbaijani Su-25 inventory stands at 30+ aircrafts, around 40.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1417171....read=116898515

Comment

• gkozak
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by STRATOSAURUS View Post
                                  So you're the one with that fantastic site! It's wonderful!

Comment

• MSphere
                                    • Feb 2010

One more pic of Su-25 upgrade by ATE... it's an interesting LEGO mix of known hardware... the HUD has been used on Spanish Mirage F1Ms or Morocan ASTRAC Mirage F1CM VI/EM VI, the displays, too, come from the same lineage, only slightly different in shape..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATE upgrade of Azeri Su-25s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	3665201 Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpi10.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	3665202
                                    Last edited by MSphere; 13th November 2015, 00:06.

Comment

• gkozak
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2005

I understand that some Belgian A-109s were sold to South Sudan under apparently very suspicious circumstances. I believe the attached image is of one of them.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• MSphere
                                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AttilaA View Post
                                        Meanwhile it became known that Azerbaijan acquired 15 Su-25 from Georgia in 2009-2010, which means Azerbaijani Su-25 inventory stands at 30+ aircrafts, around 40.
                                        Azeri inventory is less than that.. I am counting eleven Su-25s and two Su-25UBs in total. There might be few more airframes which were without bort numbers at that time, but I think the overall number is significantly below 20.

edit: World Air Forces 2015 lists 11 Su-25s in Azerbaijan
                                        Last edited by MSphere; 13th November 2015, 00:03.

Comment

• AttilaA
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Sep 2011

I'm pretty sure that in the post which you quoted I mentioned about 15 Su-25 acquired from Georgia in 2009-2010, you can check out the link. Another 5 was acquired from Belarus in 2009, so it's impossible to be that low. And Azerbaijan had Su-25s prior to those acquisitions.

In Krdemir alone you can count 23-24 Su-25s.

Last edited by AttilaA; 13th November 2015, 02:09.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X