Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tejas Mk1 and Mk2 thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Please, people, in 2016 post more Tejas pictures.
    Go Huskers!

    Comment


      Some pictures here, though low rez
      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0496085&type=3

      Comment


        Tejas updates from Saurav Jha on Twitter..cross posting from BRF


        SP-2 is currently at the checkout stage. May start flying soon. #HAL Tejas update 1.

        As we know three LCA units are headed to Bahrain. Two will fly, one on standby. #HALTejasupdate2.

        Radome and IFR integration will commence soon and test units will start flying in Early 2016. #HALTejasupdate3.

        HAL has been told to stop delaying an(d) put in its share for the new Tejas Mk-1A line. Orders will definitely grow over time. #HALTejasupdate4.


        Tejas Mk-1A order in process. Requires a monetary rejig. Being done by the IAF #HALTejasupdate5.


        Tejas MK-2 development will continue as part of a standard product improvement approach. #HALTejasupdate6.

        Comment


          Looks like they finally attained the 8G limit in flight testing preparation for the Bahrain Air Show

          Tejas test pilots pull 8G and more, clearing critical FOC test point


          India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas cleared one of the most critical flight test parameters in the programme, when the pilots pulled 8 'g' (limit of envelope) during its ongoing test flights in Bengaluru.By doing so, it has cleared a key point towards the Final Operational Clearance (FOC), as mandated by the Indian Air Force (IAF).


          Sources told OneIndia that Tejas pilots pulled 8 ‘g' and beyond a couple of times during trials held in the last fortnight of December. Commodore Jaideep Maolankar, Chief Test Pilot at National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) and Group Capt Rangachari, a Test Pilot of NFTC achieved this critical task taking the fighter closer to the FOC. Interestingly, officials at the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO), Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) were tight-lipped about this major milestone achieved.

          As reported by OneIndia earlier, scientists and engineers are now engaged in last-minute preparations to take Tejas for the 4th edition of Bahrain International Air Show (BIAS-2016), being held from January 21-23 at the Sakhir Airbase. This will be Tejas' first official outing outside India to participate in a flying demonstration.


          "The 8 'g' is the limit of the flight envelope which permits aircraft to perform combat maneuvers. This will enable the pilots to do tight turns. They have demonstrated it a couple of times. The pilots are comfortable and aircraft behaved itself," a source said.

          ..

          Comment


            Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
            Looks like they finally attained the 8G limit in flight testing preparation for the Bahrain Air Show

            Tejas test pilots pull 8G and more, clearing critical FOC test point
            Wasn't it supposed to be 9G limit?

            Comment


              Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
              Wasn't it supposed to be 9G limit?
              No, it was reduced to 8Gs a while ago. 9Gs is the target for the Tejas Mk2 variant.

              Comment


                Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
                No, it was reduced to 8Gs a while ago. 9Gs is the target for the Tejas Mk2 variant.
                Thanks, wasn't aware of that. Any details why the MK1 was downrated to 8G?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                  Thanks, wasn't aware of that. Any details why the MK1 was downrated to 8G?
                  I guess it was to do with higher than anticipated empty weight. Currently stands at approx. 6560 kgs or so. Other fighters with similar empty weights and thrust such as the T-50 and JF-17 are also limited to 8Gs. Seems like weight would need to be reduced or thrust increased to get to 9Gs. That now seems only possible on the Mk2 variant.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                    Wasn't it supposed to be 9G limit?
                    Wasn't it supposed to do this like 20 years ago?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by hopsalot View Post
                      Wasn't it supposed to do this like 20 years ago?
                      It was one of the original requirements. They may not be confident with the structure of the aircraft.
                      Wrinkles wrinkles my kingdom fallen to a wrinkle

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
                        I guess it was to do with higher than anticipated empty weight. Currently stands at approx. 6560 kgs or so. Other fighters with similar empty weights and thrust such as the T-50 and JF-17 are also limited to 8Gs. Seems like weight would need to be reduced or thrust increased to get to 9Gs. That now seems only possible on the Mk2 variant.
                        But LCA is supposed to be a delta winged full FBW design. Small and agile were the selling points. Why is it limited to 8G similar to JF17 which doesn't even have any composites or a full FBW system?

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Buran View Post
                          But LCA is supposed to be a delta winged full FBW design. Small and agile were the selling points. Why is it limited to 8G similar to JF17 which doesn't even have any composites or a full FBW system?

                          LCA *is* a delta winged, FULL FBW design. That however doesnt mean that it has to pull 9Gs. Also, agility isn't bench marked from 8G to 9G only. Going by this genius logic one can infer that JF17 flies like a brick, as its "not small,doesn't have full FBW and can pull only 8Gs"

                          another thing to note is that the article mentions LCA pulled '8G and more' in testing which is going on towards obtaining FOC. It doesn't mean that LCA will be restricted to 8Gs in combat.
                          Last edited by nirav; 5th January 2016, 12:17.

                          Comment


                            Tejas Mk1 to test Derby BVR missile in March

                            Next Tejas milestone - BVR missile firing

                            As the laboured final stretch of India's LCA Tejas trudges on, there's a final milestone on the, well, horizon. A Tejas fighter with a fully integrated multi-mode radar and new quartz radome is all set to fire its first BVR missile off the coast of Goa -- Livefist can confirm it will be a Rafael Systems Derby (mock-ups pictured above last year). As reported earlier by Livefist, the Derby has been signed on as a stopgap in the event that the indigenous Astra doesn't enter the field of play in time. More details on this upcoming test soon.
                            ..

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Buran View Post
                              But LCA is supposed to be a delta winged full FBW design. Small and agile were the selling points. Why is it limited to 8G similar to JF17 which doesn't even have any composites or a full FBW system?
                              Having 8G compared to 9G is not a significant issue and could easily be overcome with better tactical employment. F/A-18 is limited to 7.5G for both classic and Super which both have full FBW and F-14 was also limited to 7.5G. There is more to WVR manoeuvrability than simply pulling lots of G...

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Ozair View Post
                                Having 8G compared to 9G is not a significant issue and could easily be overcome with better tactical employment. F/A-18 is limited to 7.5G for both classic and Super which both have full FBW and F-14 was also limited to 7.5G. There is more to WVR manoeuvrability than simply pulling lots of G...
                                Add a HMDS like the Elbit DASH and HOBS missiles like the R-73 Archer and the Python-5 and the difference between a 9G fighter without these and a 8G fighter with these becomes even more impertinent. The Tejas Mk1 will have the DASH/R-73/Python 5 combo when it attains FOC..the DASH/R-73 combo has already been tested out.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
                                  Add a HMDS like the Elbit DASH and HOBS missiles like the R-73 Archer and the Python-5 and the difference between a 9G fighter without these and a 8G fighter with these becomes even more impertinent. The Tejas Mk1 will have the DASH/R-73/Python 5 combo when it attains FOC..the DASH/R-73 combo has already been tested out.
                                  I don't follow the logic. 8G is not as good as 9G for a fighter. Comparing an 8G fighter with weapons A, B and C to a 9G fighter without them is ridiculous if the 9G fighter could equally use the same weapons. Tejas would be a better fighter if it were not so overweight that 9G is not practical. If 9G was not better than 8G (or 7G or 6G etc) there would not have been any reason to aim for 9G in the first place.
                                  Sum ergo cogito

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Spitfire9 View Post
                                    I don't follow the logic. 8G is not as good as 9G for a fighter. Comparing an 8G fighter with weapons A, B and C to a 9G fighter without them is ridiculous if the 9G fighter could equally use the same weapons. Tejas would be a better fighter if it were not so overweight that 9G is not practical. If 9G was not better than 8G (or 7G or 6G etc) there would not have been any reason to aim for 9G in the first place.
                                    What exactly does 9G give you versus 8G? A better turning radius? But if you can employ your WVR missiles at high off bore angles, without even approaching 8Gs, you negate the advantage of better turn rates. It is a marginal performance superiority that would be useful only in a guns only fight.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
                                      What exactly does 9G give you versus 8G? A better turning radius? But if you can employ your WVR missiles at high off bore angles, without even approaching 8Gs, you negate the advantage of better turn rates. It is a marginal performance superiority that would be useful only in a guns only fight.
                                      I appreciate what you are saying. The corollary is that you don't need to design a high manoeuvrability into fighters any more. The question is: how much manoeuvrability does a fighter need to be effective if equipped with HDMS and HOBS? If 9G instead of 8G is only of very marginal advantage, will Tejas Mk2 be designed to be a 6G/7G/8G fighter?
                                      Sum ergo cogito

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Spitfire9 View Post
                                        I don't follow the logic. 8G is not as good as 9G for a fighter. Comparing an 8G fighter with weapons A, B and C to a 9G fighter without them is ridiculous if the 9G fighter could equally use the same weapons. Tejas would be a better fighter if it were not so overweight that 9G is not practical. If 9G was not better than 8G (or 7G or 6G etc) there would not have been any reason to aim for 9G in the first place.
                                        Originally posted by Spitfire9 View Post
                                        I appreciate what you are saying. The corollary is that you don't need to design a high manoeuvrability into fighters any more. The question is: how much manoeuvrability does a fighter need to be effective if equipped with HDMS and HOBS? If 9G instead of 8G is only of very marginal advantage, will Tejas Mk2 be designed to be a 6G/7G/8G fighter?
                                        Whats the obsession with 9G ?

                                        and if 9G is the only parameter for a fighter, almost all of USNs fighter fleet becomes useless going by the genius logic.

                                        heck, JF-17 might be able to be F-18s too, 8G vs 7.5G

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by nirav View Post
                                          Whats the obsession with 9G ?

                                          and if 9G is the only parameter for a fighter, almost all of USNs fighter fleet becomes useless going by the genius logic.

                                          heck, JF-17 might be able to be F-18s too, 8G vs 7.5G
                                          It's not actually an obsession with 9G. It's more an irritation that when a fighter falls short of design requirements, there are those who try to belittle that shortfall by saying that the bar did not need to be set so high and failure to reach the height specified is really of little consequence. May actually be the case in this instance, agreed.
                                          Sum ergo cogito

                                          Comment


                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X