Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tejas Mk1 and Mk2 thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deino
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

@Black Archer ... You image or attachment does not show up!

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

• Spitfire9
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2008

HAL to start delivering FOC Tejas by end of 2019

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...-fighters.html
      Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• BlackArcher
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2010

Article is riddled with mistakes. IOC version was also "weaponised", with R-73 and Derby BVRAAM as well as dumb bombs and LGBs with the Litening LDP..No.45 Squadron, which is equipped with the IOC variant of the Tejas Mk1, has had detachments going to bombing ranges to test out a whole lot of their ground strike profiles.

the Gsh-23 cannon was de-linked from FOC and AESA radar was NOT a part of the Mk1 FOC. It is a part of the Mk1A configuration. But as it was put by some other HAL official, there will be continuous improvements in the capability of the jets and FOC is not the final goal. For e.g. Astra BVRAAM integration was not a part of the FOC specs..but it will happen for sure in the near future as Astra missiles are being produced and procured by the IAF for the Su-30MKI fleet.

Comment

• Spitfire9
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jul 2008

BlackArcher

Agreed that the article is inaccurate. My sense is that the reporter concerned had little knowledge of the Tejas programme and misinterpreted/became confused by what was said to him/her. What surprises me (as an ex-technical journalist) is that he/she did not ask the source to vet the article for factual inaccuracies before offering it for publication. I pointed to the article because it said that according to a source in HAL the FOC Tejas would start to be delivered before the end of 2019. IMO even if you knew very little about Tejas you would have to be pretty incompetent to get that wrong.

Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• BlackArcher
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Dec 2010

But that is true. the first FOC Tejas Mk1 (SP-21) will be rolled out by October 2019, having been put into jigs just recently. the primary goal with getting the FOC clearance was to allow HAL to receive the final DAL (Drawing Applicability Lists) for FOC jets and proceed with manufacturing them. Software testing is likely to continue for a bit, but that is anyway a continuously evolving part of 4th generation fighters.

Comment

• halloweene
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2012

but that is anyway a continuously evolving part of 4th generation fighters.
              . That is also a necessary part of learning.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2010

FWIW..Malaysia has requested that the Tejas be sent for LIMA 2019 airshow being held between March 26-30 for demonstration purposes. Ajai Shukla reports that there may be some interest in the type from Malaysia, to fulfill a Light Fighter requirement.

This will be the Tejas Mk1's second international air show event after its debut at the Bahrain Air Show in 2017.

link to article

Comment

• BlackArcher
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Dec 2010

Tejas Mk1 prototype LSP-4 (KH-2014) with 4 X 1000 lb dumb bombs, 2 drop tanks and 2 R-73 missiles and Litening LDP

Pic courtesy: Deb Rana

Comment

• Ozair
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Oct 2015

BlackArcher, what is the current plan for the Indian Navy? We have seen reports that the Tejas has been rejected by the Navy but we also see continued development and testing of the Naval variant. Are HAL just hoping to Indian Navy will return?

Comment

• BlackArcher
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Dec 2010

Ozair, actually the Indian Navy calls it the LCA Navy, not the Tejas, which is the IAF name for the LCA.

The 2 prototypes NP1 and NP2 (both LCA Navy Mk1 prototypes) are going to be tested on the INS Vikramaditya carrier for testing out and validating the carrier landing and take off design solutions, including the FBW changes, the LEVCONs, the arrestor hook, the landing gear and so on.

But as far as operationalising it goes, the current prototype will not lead to an operational fighter. The IN's requirements are for a bigger fighter that has more payload, range and bring back capability than the current LCA Navy Mk1, and that is the in-work LCA Navy Mk2 fighter.

We should see more information within a month or so, when Aero India 2019 starts.

NP1, which is the two seater LCA Navy Mk1 prototype

NP2, which is the single seater LCA Navy Mk1 prototype

and this was LCA Navy Mk2 design that was last seen in an ADA annual report from 2015-2016

Last edited by BlackArcher; 10th January 2019, 01:46.

Comment

• Scooter
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2000

The N-LCA are nothing but research aircraft. As the Indian Navy has no plans to acquire them in numbers....
                        F-35 Lightning II

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                        X