Japan Self-Defense Forces - News & Discussion - Season 1

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

(Obviously, I begin this thread to archive and assimilate Japan-based military aviation news that aren't accidents, attritions, or crashes; and aren't covered by the other threads that are aircraft-specific (C-1, F-1, F-2, T-2, &c).)

15 December 2011:
22nd Koukuugun, JMSDF, based at Oomura JMSDF AB, Nagasaki Prefecture.

Ceremony for transfer of control of runway A at Nagasaki AP, from Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism, to JMSDF.

Length, 1,200 m. Width, 30 m.
1959, opened as Oomura AP.
1975, added runway B on water, and opened as Nagasaki AP.

http://kyushu.yomiuri.co.jp/local/nagasaki/20111216-OYS1T00263.htm
http://mainichi.jp/area/nagasaki/news/20111216ddlk42040557000c.html

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

I'm interested in the airforces of late 80s and early 90s, did the Japanease airforce at that time have PGMs ?
Did their F-15s have the capapbility to independently target 4 targets at the same time ( like F-14, tornado ADV and mig-31 had during that time ).Please remember its 1991 latest and pre-AMRAAM era.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Arms export ban lifted

Perhaps we should consider the implications of this news. It should greatly ease co-development & co-production, as well as allowing Japanese weapons & dual-use equipment to be exported, & thus have effects on what the JSDF buys.

Member for

16 years

Perhaps we should consider the implications of this news. It should greatly ease co-development & co-production, as well as allowing Japanese weapons & dual-use equipment to be exported, & thus have effects on what the JSDF buys.

C-2 exports? alternative to A-400? :diablo:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/2/3/1852320.jpg

or how about Type 10 tanks
http://obiekt.up.seesaa.net/image/TK-X.jpg

Member for

20 years 6 months

] Type 10 tanks

BTW, it's pronounced "Type One Zero", not "Type Ten".

Member for

18 years 9 months

You have to consider the potential markets, as well as the products. Japan isn't going to sell to just anyone, & I can't think of any countries it might sell to which would buy the Type 10.

The C-2 might be allowed to be more widely sold, being non-lethal, & there already being a proposal for a civilian version. It could potentially be a rival for the A400M, or attractive to countries for which the C-17 might be too much. It's similar in size & payload to A400M.

Are there any countries which might want to buy the P-1? Similar aircraft performance to the P-8, but IIRC with the Nimrod feature of being able to cruise on two engines out of four.

Member for

16 years

You have to consider the potential markets, as well as the products. Japan isn't going to sell to just anyone, & I can't think of any countries it might sell to which would buy the Type 10.

The C-2 might be allowed to be more widely sold, being non-lethal, & there already being a proposal for a civilian version. It could potentially be a rival for the A400M, or attractive to countries for which the C-17 might be too much. It's similar in size & payload to A400M.

Are there any countries which might want to buy the P-1? Similar aircraft performance to the P-8, but IIRC with the Nimrod feature of being able to cruise on two engines out of four.

hm yes you're right.. there's lots of countries that offer Tanks.. the market is full of options, unlike them limited aviation markets! but still the Type 10 offers one thing the others don't. It's the only next gen tank under 50 tonnes, being offered. All the other tanks from the west are huge gorillas, while Russia hasn't really offered anything new other than T-90 upgrades and the new Chineez and Korean tanks are growing super heavy.

C-2.. how about South Africa? :diablo:

other cool stuff Japan has.. Oyashio subs! F-2's AESA radar? AAM-4? That one amphib aircraft?
P-1 is alright, but no one want a 4 engined aircraft.. i suspect they only chose a 4 engined lay out was to support its domestic engine industry and also test the engine that will be used in its next gen fighter.

Member for

16 years

is there any market for small lightly armed recon aircraft like these?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/7/1/1860175.jpg

The OH-1, which is the inspiration of China's Z-19

Member for

18 years 9 months

hm yes you're right.. there's lots of countries that offer Tanks.. the market is full of options, unlike them limited aviation markets! but still the Type 10 offers one thing the others don't. It's the only next gen tank under 50 tonnes, being offered. All the other tanks from the west are huge gorillas, while Russia hasn't really offered anything new other than T-90 upgrades and the new Chineez and Korean tanks are growing super heavy.

C-2.. how about South Africa? :diablo:

other cool stuff Japan has.. Oyashio subs! F-2's AESA radar? AAM-4? That one amphib aircraft?
P-1 is alright, but no one want a 4 engined aircraft.. i suspect they only chose a 4 engined lay out was to support its domestic engine industry and also test the engine that will be used in its next gen fighter.

Don't forget that Japan is only going to allow the sale of weapons to a limited set of countries, & most of them already either have their own modern tanks, or Leopard IIs.

Four engines is popular for MPAs, but not for commercial transports. Since new MPAs aren't usually designed from scratch (because of cost), but derived from commercial transports, they're stuck with two engines. P-1 is a purpose-built MPA, with the appropriate number of engines.

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://www.asagumo-news.com/news/201201/120112/12011215.html

12 January 2012:
111th Squadron, JMSDF, based at Iwakuni, and 829th Squadron, RN, have become sister squadrons.
111th Squadron flies the MCH-101, and 829th Squadron flies the EH-101.
They become sister squadrons to exchange aviation safety and aircraft maintenance experiences.

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://prw.kyodonews.jp/open/release.do?r=201202032225

TOKYO and MELBOURNE, Fla., Feb. 3, 2012 /PRN=KYODO JBN/ --

Northrop Grumman closes first international sale of airborne capability

The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force has purchased four helicopter-mountable, laser mine detection systems to help protect its coastline and the daily maritime traffic coming in and out of the country's ports.
This is the first direct commercial sale of Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE: NOC) Airborne Laser Mine Detection System (ALMDS) to an international navy.

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/national/news/CK2012030702000026.html?ref=rank

7 March 2012:
JMOD chooses Kawasaki as developer of UH-X to replace 142 JGSDF UH-1.
Develop candidates were Fuji and Kawasaki.
Hope to condition UH-X cost to 1 billion Yen each, same as UH-1.
From this fiscal year, for seven years, assign 28 billion Yen to develop UH-X.

Kawasaki developed OH-1.
First cost was 700 million Yen each.
Arose to 1.5 billion Yen each.
Final cost was 2.4 billion Yen each, and produced 32 aircraft.

Kawasaki will develop UH-X from OH-1 to cut cost, but doubtful to produce an 1 billion Yen UH-X from a 2.4 billion Yen OH-1.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Hey Don Chan, any info on the new Japanese AtoA missile with an AESA seeker ?

Speaking of the Nimrod, how about the UK buying the P-1 over the P-8 under the newly established military development link with Japan? With the BR710 developed for the Nimrod in approximately the right thrust range (and already hardened against corrosion), you could even do the traditional UK-specific engine swap which would give some commonality with the Sentinel R1 ;) There even is less danger than usual for the scope of the engine mod to balloon out of proportion, thanks to the podded installation on the host airframe. Quite a few other countries in Western Europe might potentially be interested in future too, those P-3s and Atlantics won't last forever. Both being "Western", the potential market for the P-1 probably overlaps many of the possible P-8 customers in general.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Given that, according to wiki the P-1 is about $80 million (:eek:) cheaper than a P-8, I'd say it would certainly be better for the UK.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Given that, according to wiki the P-1 is about $80 million (:eek:) cheaper than a P-8, I'd say it would certainly be better for the UK.

Do we know that for certain? I'd expect the gap (also in operating costs) to be much smaller given that over 3500 civilian Boeing 737NGs are in operation today. That commonality should presumably lead to substantial savings.

Member for

19 years 6 months

I only pulled the figures from Wikipedia, so I'm sure they aren't going to be wholly accurate, but even if they are only approximate figures that's still a huge difference in price.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Speaking of the Nimrod, how about the UK buying the P-1 over the P-8 under the newly established military development link with Japan? With the BR710 developed for the Nimrod in approximately the right thrust range (and already hardened against corrosion), you could even do the traditional UK-specific engine swap which would give some commonality with the Sentinel R1 ;) There even is less danger than usual for the scope of the engine mod to balloon out of proportion, thanks to the podded installation on the host airframe. Quite a few other countries in Western Europe might potentially be interested in future too, those P-3s and Atlantics won't last forever. Both being "Western", the potential market for the P-1 probably overlaps many of the possible P-8 customers in general.

Dammit, you've been reading my mind. :D

A P-1 with BR710s (we have some marinised ones already bought & paid for) & whatever other kit already bought for the MRA4 that could be easily & integrated would (1) do nicely, & (2) offer scope for British participation in other P-1 exports.