The AESA radar retrofit market

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

There are a few fighter types out there which will be around long enough to justify radar upgrades, & a smaller market for new radars for MPAs, helicopters, etc. I thought it'd be interesting to discuss the options.

F-16: There are a lot of F-16s that could benefit from a radar upgrade. AFAIK three AESA radars have been put on the market aimed at F-16 retrofits: RACR & SABR, & Selex has shown a Vixen variant with an antenna sized for an F-16 nose.

The only active competitions in this market I know of are Taiwan & S. Korea, both of which are currently looking at upgrading F-16s with either RACR or SABR. I've not heard of any possible Vixen F-16 customers.

Who else might be in the market for AESAs for their F-16s? Might Elta get into the market?

F-18: I think that F-18A-Ds are probably not going to get AESA upgrades.

F-15: The USAF is upgrading its 'Golden Eagles', & the Saudis are negotiating over an AESA upgrade of their F-15Es. What other F-15 customers might do the same?

Mirage 2000 - ditto. There are some with enough life left, but I'm not aware of anyone marketing such an upgrade.

Typhoons & Rafales with original radars could get AESA upgrades, but I think this will depend on budgets. The Saudis may well opt for it.

Gripen is interesting. The Raven radar for the NG can be fitted to current Gripens, so it's a possibility for upgrades for current operators & any Gripens sold secondhand.

Others
What others? MiGs? Su-27/30? What else?

Original post

Member for

15 years 5 months

AESA is vastly superior of detecting VLO, i assume India is looking into upgrading their Su-30 with AESA,
I bet on Elta, or a domestic version, hence the insistence on AESA ToT from MMRCA

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/12/340532/usaf-may-convert-some-f-15cs-to-radar-jammers.html

But Estrada confirmed the AESA is designed to detect targets with small radar cross sections.
"I don't know the specifics with the T-50," Estrada says,
"but I will tell you that this -(V)3 radar is very capable of detecting low-RCS platforms".

Member for

15 years 5 months

AESA is vastly superior of detecting VLO, i assume India is looking into upgrading their Su-30 with AESA,
I bet on Elta, or a domestic version, hence the insistence on AESA ToT from MMRCA

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/12/340532/usaf-may-convert-some-f-15cs-to-radar-jammers.html

But Estrada confirmed the AESA is designed to detect targets with small radar cross sections.
"I don't know the specifics with the T-50," Estrada says,
"but I will tell you that this -(V)3 radar is very capable of detecting low-RCS platforms".

The Pesa is wastly superior in side range and scan volume.(still..)

Member for

13 years 5 months

The Indian Su-30 AESA will either be a Phazatron or NIIP set, that much is 100% sure.

Member for

13 years 4 months

I think that F-18A-Ds are probably not going to get AESA upgrades.

I wish they would give em to us, but you are correct.....no AESA planned anymore for the legacy Hornets. Other high lot upgrades across the board, but they pretty much gave up on that one.

Member for

15 years 3 months

The Pesa is wastly superior in side range and scan volume.(still..)

And scanning time. PESA make shorter time to scan the same volume as AESA.
Dunno why this is, could be the signal prossessing taking shorter time due to AESA have higher scan resolution, IMO more signal/data for prossessing..?

Member for

17 years 8 months

emmm... just want to asking...
could we put and integrate AESA radar to older generation such as F-16A/B or early mirage 2000 ? and will the cost worth it ? will it make them able to fight against says.... f-16 block 50, f18f and such ?

Member for

15 years 3 months

One constrain would be insufficiant power to operate new AESA radars.

Member for

16 years 7 months

The RACR and SABR sets are squarely aimed at older Viper generations.

Member for

13 years 2 months

seriously.

who opens its radar and scan for your opposite number anymore!

Member for

16 years

MiG-21 variant with aesa and F414 engine :diablo:

Member for

13 years 1 month

Wouldn't cooling the array be an even bigger issue in most cases?

Member for

15 years 5 months

Yes, that is my understanding.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes, providing sufficient power and cooling to operate the AESA can be a problem.

Another potential concern is the ability to handle and display the AESA's data output. Ancient 8-bit computers, display processors, multi-function displays and HUDs are not up to the task unless the AESA systems' data rate and message format is dialed back to match 1970s technology.

Member for

18 years 9 months

True, but who is likely to fit AESA radars to otherwise unmodified old fighters? Everyone who does a radar upgrade (Grifo or EL/M-2032 in F-5E, RDY-3 in Mirage F.1, etc) upgrades other avionics at the same time. Chile has some ex-Dutch F-16A/B - & they had their original computers replaced many years ago, by the Dutch.

One of the factors in deciding whether an upgrade is worthwhile is what else will need to be done, & how that affects the cost/benefit ratio. I think F-16A/Bs are unlikely won't get RACR, SABR etc. because they won't have enough airframe hours left to justify the cost.

F-16C/Ds, however . . . . Taiwan & S. Korea are doing it. Who else will? And when? There must be a crossover point for each aircraft. A middle-aged F-16 recently updated with APG-68(v)9 may not be worth it, being good enough until it's scrapped, but a new F-16 Block 50/52 will be one day.

And so on for other types.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Wouldn't cooling the array be an even bigger issue in most cases?

NG's SABR and Raytheon's RACR are "drop in" replacements for F-16s and are specifically made to fit within the power and cooling requirements.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Also weight.
An AESA weight much more in the frontend.

Member for

15 years 2 months

SABR and RACR weigh LESS than the MSA in the F-16

Member for

15 years 5 months

And scanning time. PESA make shorter time to scan the same volume as AESA.
Dunno why this is, could be the signal prossessing taking shorter time due to AESA have higher scan resolution, IMO more signal/data for prossessing..?

Yes, a "pencil wide" radar lobe resolution needs more time to travel from point A to B. to scan the same volume and more pulses to reach B.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Yes, providing sufficient power and cooling to operate the AESA can be a problem.

Another potential concern is the ability to handle and display the AESA's data output. Ancient 8-bit computers, display processors, multi-function displays and HUDs are not up to the task unless the AESA systems' data rate and message format is dialed back to match 1970s technology.

next gen AESA would have better efficencies, the power itself should not be a big problem, and can be regulated in radarmodes. the cooling of an AESA, is often a "internal problem" in an X-band antenna due to the small antenna size.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The cost of retrofit also depends upon the type of cooling available. Many modern AESAs require liquid cooling because forced air cooling cannot remove the heat fast enough to keep the tiles from overheating. Adding a liquid cooling loop to F-16 or a MiG would be another impact to complexity, weight, power and volume.