Military Cessnas (High-Wing Prop Types)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

In my continuing attempts to create more diversity in the discussions that occur on this forum, I thought it might be interesting to discuss or share photos of the various Cessna high-wing prop types in service around the world. By "high-wing prop types", I am referring to the following models (or similar ones):

Cessna 150/152
Cessna 172
Cessna 182
Cessna 206/210
Cessna 208 Caravan/Grand Caravan
Cessna 180/185

If you have pictures please share them or perhaps information about new deliveries or just general information about the Cessnas in service with any air force that interests you. Surely, this involves a great many different air arms so I hope there is plenty of discussion and photo sharing to go around.

In my opinion, some of the hardest working airplanes in the world are those manufactured by Cessna, and though most people don't think about it, in many cases they are a hugely important part of a nation's air arm, whether they are used as trainers, liaison aircraft, reconnaissance aircraft, or even in an armed capacity in some cases.

I look forward to some interesting replies!

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

The (New) Iraqi Air Force -IqAF- in 2009 obtained five armed Cessna Grand Caravan 208Bs for the counter-insurgency role. These "Combat Caravans" featured an electro-optic / infrared (EO/IR) turret on the belly and a stores pylon on each wing, the usual store being a Hellfire missile; small laser-guided bombs and 70 millimeter rockets are also plausible stores.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avcvan_4.jpg

http://www.vectorsite.net/avcvan.html

http://i37.tinypic.com/2n8zqmg.jpg

And here a video an Iraqi AC-208 Caravan Hellfire Shoot.
http://www.youtube.com/v/eSKsrILHxNM&hl=sv_SE&fs=1

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Lebanese Air Force also has the 208B Grand Caravan in service, identical to the one's used by Iraq, armed with Hellfire missiles.
There's currently one and another is expected to be delivered later this year and a third next year.

Here's a photo I took last week:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/vmitil/208b.jpg

Jordan is also another operator of the type.

Member for

14 years 4 months

Columbian Cessna 208s

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

Nicaraguan Cessna 182 and Cessna 172

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

Honduras Cessna 185

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

South African Caravans

Attachments

Member for

17 years 11 months

When Cessna first built the Caravan they did offer a specific military version.

It had a rear rollar door so it could be opened in flight and used for paratroops, plus 6 wing hard points (I think they were rated to about 220kg each) and a minigun could be installed in the rear doorway.

I cant remember if any were sold in that configuration.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for all the great photo responses gents. blackcat can you provide anymore background on the photos you posted? What missions are the 182's, 185's, and 208's in question used for by those countries? I like the 185 in the camouflage scheme...looks good! Edit: Oh, and I think that one of those photos you posted is actually a Cessna 206 (or maybe a 210?)..looks a bit bigger than a 182 and has a small cargo door on the right side with the word Stationair on the vertical tail.

As for the 208 I'd heard about the Combat Caravan program though I don't think I realized that the Lebanese had it as well as the Iraqis...thanks Vatche!

I'd also heard mention of the military version Cessna offered years ago though I don't think it had any takers at the time (I could be wrong). With that being said, it seems that might change with todays focus on insurgency warfare....the 208 being a great tool for this type of combat due to its relatively low cost, ease of operation, great field performance, and good lifting power. They could probably put four or more Hellfires on it without too much degradation in performance.

Keep the photos and info coming guys!

Member for

17 years 11 months

Oh yea, just came to mind.
Cessna offered a recon pod which was developed for the F16 (??)
It was to sit under the belly in lieu of the cargo pod.
I'll have to dig out my books to find it.

But yea Phantom your right, no one had taken up the military version in its orginal form.

For a big single engine plane it is a great all-rounder as you said.
Its roll rate is somewhat sluggish (as all high wing cessnas are, cept for the very last of the C210).

The only type of aircraft you could compare it to would be the old Platius Porter which was an incredible aircraft for its time!
(I know Australian Army ones were capable to be armed with smoke rockets and HVARs and had once seen it armed with minigun pods)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cooper, you forgot the 337 in the list ...

Member for

24 years 3 months

The PC-6 is indeed quite a performer in many ways, and if I'm not mistaken it is still manufactured today in its Turbo Porter (with PT6A engine) form....that would make an interesting thread too! I'm quite a fan of Pilatus...I think they make superb airplanes.

As for the 337 indeed I suppose it belongs on here as well, but I purposely left it off because at least for me I tend to think of it more as a military aircraft due to the O-2 variant being so well-known though I do realize it was a civilian aircraft first. As such though, I'll add it to the list and if anyone would like to share info or photos about the Cessna 337 (or O-2) then please do!

Member for

13 years 11 months

Two images from Chilean Army's Cessna Skymasters:
http://www.modocharlie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/luer205.jpg
http://www.modocharlie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/luer207.jpg

There were three of them and were sold to civilian operators in the 1990s.

Regards.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any nations that still use the 337 (or O-2) in an armed capacity?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the photo and the info! I assumed their mission was as basic trainers, but it seems I was quite wrong. Quite a variety of missions they are tasked with it seems. Nice to see of an operator that utilizes the good, sound design of the Cessna 172 for a variety of mission types.

That's the kinda stuff I was looking for when I started the thread....I just think it would be interesting to discuss all the various roles that these aircraft are put through by operators all over the world.

For instance, I'd like to know what those Chilean 337's were used for before they were sold.

I suppose I can search the web for a lot of these answers, but it's more interesting to me to find out what the rest of the forum knows and has pictures of.

Keep it coming!

Member for

17 years 9 months

Mali

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

You are right Phantom II this is a Cessna U206 registered No1, and is obviously used for VIP duties, unfortunately I could not get anywhere near it so what it was and where it came from is a mystery. But my books tell me it was impounded in May 07 then active with the military in Nov. 08. The other pic. is of 154 (previously registered 54) a Cessna 172I/K and, to my knowledge, is still active.

Member for

14 years 4 months

The Honduras Cessna's are 185Fs, 122 (the camo one, first noted in April 82) is still active while the other 123 is WFU.

Member for

14 years 4 months

Costa Rica

Do Police Cessna's count ?. Took these in March 2008 and show Cessna U206s MSP005, MSP006 and TI-SPD (wfu), and Cessna 210s MSP009 and MSP011.

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

Honduras (again)

First picture shows the hulk of Cessna 02A (believed to be 684) on the dump at Toncontin. The military also have Cessna 172Ks YN-BYH and YN-BYQ (second picture) stored in a hangar and obviously WFU. But dont know if these are for spares or eventual rebuild. Think the local bird life use them for bombing practice

Attachments