Buchon query

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I got the book "Spitfire: Icon of a Nation" for Christmas, and was flicking through it earlier when I found a picture of a Hispano Ha.1112M-1-L Buchon.

There appears to be a registration on the fuselage and beneath the wings - FH+DD (similar to D-FMBB's markings). It appears to have dummy nose-mounted machine-guns, but not wing cannon. It has a three-blade propeller and spinner assembly.

The trouble is, I don't recognise the aircraft. It has a similar camouflage scheme to the Memphis Belle Buchons, but it's none of those:

G-BOML wore its Belle scheme up until the early 1990s, latterly complemented by a yellow nose for the TV series A Perfect Hero. It also had dummy wing-mounted cannons, but not nose-mounted machine-guns.

G-HUNN wore its Belle scheme up until 1995, at least, when it was used in the HBO film The Tusekegee Airmen. The spinner was painted yellow with a black spiral on it, and some of the camouflage pattern was altered, but essentially it was still in its film camo. It stayed that way until a truck reversed into it. The paint scheme it now wears (along with a different spinner assembly) is that of Adolf Galland's Bf109F-4. It also did not have wing-mounted cannon, but instead had the machine-guns.

D-FEHD still had the wing fences and cannon fairings from its Spanish service days, as well as the four-blade prop assembly. I would have thought these fittings would have still been on the aircraft up until its conversion/rebuild as a Bf109G-10?

So, does anyone know anything else? I'll try to scan the pic in later if anyone wants to see it.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Post the pic' Daz.

Member for

19 years

Without seeing it, I suspect it may be our G-BWUE when it was filming that Tom Cruise Valkyrie film. When it returned from Berlin it had a different colour added to the then white spinner and had FM-BB or something similar added beneath the wings so that they could supposedly marry up shots of the Buchon with footage of Walter Eicorn in the MBB DB605/Buchon/109 aircraft which flew with it at the same time. I didn't pay too much attention at the time I'm afraid as my main concern was re-spraying the wings when the stick-on FM BB pulled all the paint off on removal, and I never bothered to watch the free copy of the DVD we got as it apparently only appeared for a fraction of a second. We heard there were some great flying scenes carried out but they all ended up on the cutting room floor. There's some great out-takes somewhere! I notice it's been very quiet on opinions on the news of the Buchon going into B of B film scheme and the other in the JG53 desert scheme. Doesn't anyone read the magazines anymore?

Member for

20 years 9 months

This one. at the time owned by Tom Blair from the Valkyrie Movie.

You beat me to it! Thanks Roobarb.

Septic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/woodlands/ValkyrieBuchon.jpg

Member for

20 years 8 months

Without seeing it, I suspect it may be our G-BWUE when it was filming that Tom Cruise Valkyrie film. When it returned from Berlin it had a different colour added to the then white spinner and had FM-BB or something similar added beneath the wings so that they could supposedly marry up shots of the Buchon with footage of Walter Eicorn in the MBB DB605/Buchon/109 aircraft which flew with it at the same time. I didn't pay too much attention at the time I'm afraid as my main concern was re-spraying the wings when the stick-on FM BB pulled all the paint off on removal, and I never bothered to watch the free copy of the DVD we got as it apparently only appeared for a fraction of a second. We heard there were some great flying scenes carried out but they all ended up on the cutting room floor. There's some great out-takes somewhere! I notice it's been very quiet on opinions on the news of the Buchon going into B of B film scheme and the other in the JG53 desert scheme. Doesn't anyone read the magazines anymore?

Hi Roobarb

That would seem to make sense. I have the film on DVD - not to mention seeing it at the cinema - and it never occurred to me that G-BWUE might have been repainted for its role (the Buchon/'109 shot is literally blink-and-miss stuff).

I, personally, am looking forward to seeing the Buchon in its Battle of Britain scheme! :D Will ARCo be adding the film modifications as well?

(Also, I had always believed G-AWHE was going to revert to its film colours - I must have misread or been mistaken.)

And then Septic supplies a photo! Great stuff! I rather like that scheme! ;)

Member for

19 years 8 months

I notice it's been very quiet on opinions on the news of the Buchon going into B of B film scheme

Very interesting indeed. A Buchon in BofB colors based at Dux. Does this mean another hangar at Duxford will be blown up soon? ;) :p

T J

Member for

19 years 2 months

My dream, to see once a Buchon fly in its original Spanish finish !