Torpedo Bombers - Russian drama film

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

I discovered this on Youtube. It's a Russian film set in WWII about a torpedo bomber squadron attacking German convoys in the arctic waters. I've watched two of the nine parts and had to post this, it's very good. it has English subtitles, but even better it has some interesting aircraft (must be from a museum) and great real footage. Off to watch part three now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eoZFqZLOE&feature=related

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

Very nice find, thanks for that. Some comments on YouTube mentioned a bad translation but I think it still gives a good idea about what went on.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I watched the first two clips - excellent.

The torpedo bombers are Ilyushin Il-4's....

This example is in Moscow's Victory Park - but AFAIK there are no airworthy examples, so the film makers have done a great job.

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/moscow_2008_files/day05_011.jpg

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/moscow_2004_files/day04_33.jpg

The flying boats are MBR-2's

Ken

Member for

15 years 6 months

That's a great find ! Interesting to see that Mae Wests were not issued to crews operating over water...

Member for

20 years 1 month

The film is a little confusing in parts but pretty good and has a very poignant ending. Interesting to see all the aircraft types in the background, I'm sure there was a Sturmovil in one part and a Yak 3 or similar (maybe a Mig 3?).

The flying boat was an interesting one. Did the skis retract on them?

Sealand Tower, well into 1941 at least the RNZAF here in New Zealand were flying well out to sea, around 100 miles, in Vincents and similar types opn coastal patrols without the aid of a Mae West too.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The flying boat was an interesting one. Did the skis retract on them?.

From Gunston's 'Encyclopaedia of Russian Aircraft'......

Beriev MBR-2......

"A.K. Belenkov designed a beaching chassis whose main vertical strut on each side clipped into a fixture under the front spar near the root, with a separate auxiliary two-wheel truck placed under the rear step. With small changes this chassis could be used as a ski landing gear"

Ken

Member for

20 years 1 month

It was interesting that they had the Ilyushin Il-4 running and taxiing. It looked from the interior that they used a genuine preserved aircraft, but I guess it could have been a very good replica. I wonder what date it was made, it's hard to tell.

Member for

19 years 9 months

According to imdb in 1983...

Member for

15 years 4 months

newsreel clips of Blenheims IVs attacking german vessels as action scenes ...no CGI in this film then :rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 1 month

DVD available

I actually have this film on DVD that i no longer need- if any one wants it PM me all i ask is a small donation to charity rgds SF