Heinkel At Duxford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

Does anyone know what will happen to the heinkel at duxford

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

It is being evaluated in Hangar 5 last time i saw it about a month ago, going on Tuesday i will see where it is then.

curlyboy

Member for

14 years 9 months

Rebuild it to fly good target practice for the spits.........

Member for

16 years 6 months

I believe that IWM bought it from Old Flying Machine Company and plan to rebuild it for static display only.
On previous threads I think it was mentioned that this "Heinkel" stood outside the Officers mess at Tablada for many years and had been stripped of a lot of parts so an airworthy restoration was likely to be difficult.
It does seem strange that there were so many CASA 2111's available in the late 60's but there are none flying in Europe and I am not sure that there are any flying in the USA now either. In fact considering there were 30 plus at Tablada at the time of the Battle of Britain film their survival rate is pretty low.
At the time they were available for disposal by the Spanish AF the warbird movement was in it's infancy and few people were even flying Spitfires so maintaining a twin engined bomber must have looked a daunting prospect to any prospective buyer.

Member for

20 years 8 months

None flying, anywhere.

There is, apparently, one under rebuild somewhere in Europe (for Paul Allen, I believe?). The Cavanaugh Museum in Texas has one that flew in, but it hasn't flown for some years and I believe they won't fly it because of its rarity (or possible insurance costs) after the crash of the CAF example.

Member for

17 years 3 months

I can confirm that a full survey has been undertaken on the CASA / He111 by the conservation staff & volunteers at the IWM.

In fact the IWM has surveyed in the past year a lot of the collection to understand their quality and engineering integrity as statics. These include the Lancaster, the Sunderland, the Sea Hawk, the Victor, the Gannet and the Sea Vixen amongst many others at the museum.

Funding is obviously very tight at the IWM, with a notable reduction in static restorations over the last 18 months. The only real restoration project on the go being the Vampire. So the CASA may be a long way down the list. :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 2 months

Saw the Cavanaugh one in 2001. Had no idea at the time they flew it in. It did state it had been involved with the BoB movie. I was puzzled as to how the thing ended up in Texas 30 years later.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Saw the Cavanaugh one in 2001. Had no idea at the time they flew it in. It did state it had been involved with the BoB movie. I was puzzled as to how the thing ended up in Texas 30 years later.

Maybe something to do with Connie Edwards as he seems to have bought most of the Buchons, I think he still has 9 of them including the 2 seater.

Member for

18 years 4 months

The Cavanaugh CASA N99230 routed through Blackbushe in 1977 on its way to the USA, I do not think it flew much, if at all after its delivery to there.

Prior to that in mid 1976 G-BDYA also passed through Blackbushe on its way to become the one flown by the Cofederate airforce for many years until written off in a fatal crash a few years ago.

I seem to remember it being stated that neither aircraft was used in the BOB film, certainly G-BDYA would have been fairly obvious as it had extra cabin windows and no turrets, being a staff transport version.

Richard

Member for

19 years 8 months

Wasn't the Cavanaugh CASA originally owned by Dave Tallichet?

T J

Member for

19 years

And before Tallichet it was with Dolph Overton from memory it was he that acquired it via the Arnolds. I think it was at his museum in the US and Tallichet got it when the museum folded or was auctioned off. Long time ago now...mind you the aicraft news then seemed more exciting than it is these days...

Member for

19 years

Funding is obviously very tight at the IWM, with a notable reduction in static restorations over the last 18 months. The only real restoration project on the go being the Vampire. So the CASA may be a long way down the list. :rolleyes:

As most UK national museums (of all subjects) have had their funding slashed and diverted to fund the huge profits no doubt being made by the builders of the Olympic Stadium (read "excessively ostentatious elitist folly" to be paid for for years by the taxpayer) it must be very demoralising to be faced with a fleet of aircraft or similar exhibits (Nat.motor museum etc) that require loving care, and to have the skilled people and workshops to do it but to be restricted to occasional tyre inflating and a bit of spring cleaning with a feather duster (long one for AAM and AirSpace:D) due to a lack of funding for materials and manhours in labour... :mad: