Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miracle B-17 Makes It Home After Nose Blown Away

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Rayment
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2008

P38 - Halifax 'collision' Halifax a red herring?

I am sorry but I can't resist it. Having sat here for half an hour looking closely at the photo - what about this scenario.

Fact - All the damage is on the stb. side of the P38 and looks like a grazing collision to the LE of wing and engine and spinner. So it goes like this: P38 stationary - some heavy and /or fast vehicle (unspecified!) contacts stb wing to give the deep damage at end. P38 rotates to bring LE and engine into contact with the vehicle which scrapes along it and giver further damage. The two intimately entangled vehicles (unspecified and P38) then collide with the Halifax (or some other object) which has the effect of distorting the P38 sbd. tailboom and lodging the p38 onto the Halifax. The P38 may not even be in contact with the Halifax at all - just a fortuitous juxtaposition made to look 'real' by suggestion and the cunning photographer who removed (and pretty well) the rest of the Halifax. In fact the Halifax may be a red herring!

David

Comment

• Moggy C
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Sq/L Scramble. View Post
      Another amazing tale

Charlie Brown's story

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the tale above contains considerable 'enhancement' compared to the actual events.

Moggy
      "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• DL Sheley
        Rank 4 Registered User
        • Nov 2009

There are a lot wild crash photos out there.

B-24M-5-FO serial number 44-50468 from the 740th Bomb Squadron, 455th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force. Crashed on take-off from San Giovanni Field, Italy on April 12,1945. Six of the crew were killed.

Comment

• DL Sheley
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Nov 2009

TBM-3 Avenger from Torpedo Squadron Eighty-Two (VT-82), flying from the carrier USS Bennington (CV-20). The plane in formation above this one was hit by AAA and fell down into it. I don't know what happened after this photo was taken.

Comment

• merlin70
            Tim Clark
            • Mar 2004

Looks to me like the P38 had an incident...

Following said incident photos were taken, the background was removed and a Halifax fin fin was added for good measure.
            Watching the planes fly by...

Comment

• bazv
              olde rigger
              • Feb 2005

With reference to my post 49 and other posters remarks/ideas,anybody any further information on when/where/why this P38/F5/Halifax incident photo was 'retouched' cough cough !!
              Didnt want to let this thread die out

rgds baz

Comment

• bazv
                olde rigger
                • Feb 2005

Just revisiting this fascinating pic,and to see if anybody had uncovered any more info

rgds baz

Comment

• Jayce
                  Order of the Bent Pitot
                  • Nov 2010

Only USAAF/Halibag mid-air I'm aware of invovled a B24. Both a/c crashed.

Comment

• bazv
                    olde rigger
                    • Feb 2005

Just bumping this old thread to see if anybody has seen the original (untouched) photograph of the P38 F5/Halifax ground collision yet
                    Would be great to see the original and also be able to read the accident report !

rgds baz

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X