Spitfire IX Spinner

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

Can anyone tell me the length and diameter of the Spitfire IXs spinner?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just put a tape on one here and it's 25" Dia by 25" long as near as dammit.

Tom

Member for

17 years 9 months

With respect how accurate were you with the length and did you include the backplate width in this measurement.? I would have expected it to be nearer 28" from tip to gap.

Regards

John

Member for

18 years 4 months

Mine's 24" X 24" not including backplate; but hey size ain't everything right?

Member for

17 years 9 months

Oh it is if your'e in the model-zone :)

Thanks John

Member for

24 years 3 months

John - yes the Backplate was included and yes it was definitely 25" long, they do vary depending upon where the tip of the spun dome has been plugged I've noticed in the past.

Tom

Member for

17 years 9 months

Tom

Again thank you for checking. I am interested in any dimensional variance as a set of drawings I have from a very respected draughtsman show a longer length. Having said that the drawings (preliminary) are very difficult to interpret as they are overlaid to show different Mk differences and I appear to be seeing two spinner lengths for the two stage Merlins, one of which is nearer 25" and the other at 28.5" (including tip plug).
I appreciate that this all might seem a little anal but Spitfires always raise anti when it comes to kit dimensions and there are several threads on the subject running elsewhere.

Either Stuart or Tom, are either of these spinners on a bench? So that a piece of wood could be placed parallel to the bench to give a more accurate measurement. :D

Regards

John

Member for

20 years 10 months

I appreciate that this all might seem a little anal but Spitfires always raise anti when it comes to kit dimensions and there are several threads on the subject running elsewhere.
Hardly anal, quite normal for here actually! I can also get one on a bench today and check the dimensions to add to the data pool.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Brilliant.

John

Member for

20 years 4 months

I appear to be seeing two spinner lengths for the two stage Merlins, one of which is nearer 25" and the other at 28.5" (including tip plug).
IIRC there were two (more?) different designs of two-stage Merlin Spitfire spinners. But I have always thought they were of the same proportion: base dia. equal to length

Member for

17 years 9 months

No, I'm certain that the backplate diameter didn't change, but I'm begining to think the length may have.

John

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yup - same as the one I checked today.

Member for

19 years 3 months

While everyone has their measuring tapes out can anyone clarify the Mk1 and Mk11 spinner sizes.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Yup - same as the one I checked today.

Thanks again for your trouble gentlemen. So to be totally retentive, I take it that the Spinner cone is 24" long with a Dia of 24". Inclusive of backplate measured on two examples. It's interesting that Paul Monforton's book, based on three different surviving Spitfires, gives 25.823 inches length on page 2.30. Page 2.39 gives 25.45 for a rather blunter-tipped example. Diameter at base is 25 inches. This latter info relayed via Graham Boak.

John

Member for

20 years 8 months

Oh it is if your'e in the model-zone :)

Thanks John

Depends on scale used. I mean on 1/72 one inch on the model denotes 6 feet on the real thing so an inch difference on the real thing is hardly likely to show up on the model

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thanks again for your trouble gentlemen. So to be totally retentive, I take it that the Spinner cone is 24" long with a Dia of 24". Inclusive of backplate measured on two examples.

John

No - mine was the removeable spinner cone only.

While everyone has their measuring tapes out can anyone clarify the Mk1 and Mk11 spinner sizes.
Mk.XI - same as Mk.IX: 24" x 24".

Member for

17 years 9 months

This would bring the measurements nearer the Monforton dims. I estimate the backplate to be approx 1.5"/2".

John

Member for

20 years 10 months

This would bring the measurements nearer the Monforton dims. I estimate the backplate to be approx 1.5"/2".

John

Closer to 2" but would need to check - it does seem to be around an inch larger (at its rearmost, widest dia.) in diameter than the removeable spinner.