last luftwaffe crash nr elvington

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

Over the years i have listened to various accounts concerning this crash, apparently it went down close to Elvington where the Free French were stationed (Guyenne and Tunisse squadrons) and it is alleged that a group of the free french aircrews drove to the crash site (i beleive the aircraft was a Junkers 88) and on finding the crew still alive, dragged them from their aircraft and dealt with them as it were, and this was hushed up, anyone shed any light on this please?

Original post

Member for

19 years

Over the years i have listened to various accounts concerning this crash, apparently it went down close to Elvington where the Free French were stationed (Guyenne and Tunisse squadrons) and it is alleged that a group of the free french aircrews drove to the crash site (i beleive the aircraft was a Junkers 88) and on finding the crew still alive, dragged them from their aircraft and dealt with them as it were, and this was hushed up, anyone shed any light on this please?

The French murdered captured POWs on UK soil?
a shame those French weren't tried and shot/hung if that's the case.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Before this thread gets out of control I have the result of a bit more googling.
The best place to get full details on this crash will be the Yorkshire air museum at Elvington. I have uncovered zero evidence of the crew being killed by French aircrew.
This link adds new detail to the crash cause..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/purplepatch/articles/shiela_baxter/index.shtml

Member for

19 years 2 months

Considering the damage that must have been done to the farmhouse to kill two and mortally wound one more I see it as highly unlikely that the crew could have survived that initial impact.

Member for

16 years 3 months

last luftwaffe crash

thankyou for the information,on reading the article mentioned,its clear that no aircrew could have survived the crash, obviously the story has been grossly exaggerated over the years, thanks again.