Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

It cleared Customs today :)

Original post

Member for

15 years 9 months

Grumpy finally in the US

After watching Grumpy for many years at the Airshows here ,why did it have to go to the USA ? I guess its down to one thing ,,Money ,thats where all the money is ,just like the Tigercat ,i wonder why Grumpy was hidden away for a few years at North Weald ? was it the only one of its type flying in the UK ?

Terry

Member for

20 years 10 months

After watching Grumpy for many years at the Airshows here ,why did it have to go to the USA ?
Possibly largely to do with the fact that the new purchaser lives in the USA.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Bazinga

Member for

16 years 6 months

As far as I remember the main reason for selling Grumpy was that few display organisers wanted to book a B-25 so there was little income to pay for maintenance etc.
At the end of the day if the aeroplane is such a huge drain on resources due to a lack of bookings it makes mores sense to sell it on and stick with the aircraft that contribute a larger amount towards their keep.
I was sorry to see Grumpy go but I must admit I don't remember many airshow appearances in recent times which means either I have a very bad memory or the aeroplane just wasn't that popular. Still a shame though and she will be greatly missed.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Yes possibly... but also due to the fact that TFC 'governor' Stephen Gray is i believe now only authorised to fly single engine types. But as that includes the Seafury and Bearcat i doubt if he will mind too much.!

Member for

17 years 8 months

When you look at the top picture on page 41 of the february issue of FP magazine 2010, it's hard to believe that Grumpy made the trip to the US. The propellor of the port engine is missing at least one blade!!!

Member for

16 years 5 months

It isn't a surprise aircraft id's get muddled when people can't spell the owners names - it's Mr Grey to you ;)

Ah yes.. sorry murlot ;).

Member for

14 years 11 months

B-25's in UK (and continent)?! Where?

so finally she went home! Remember seeing her in mars 2005 and the guy's, at the time restoring a Beech in the same hangar let me in to see her, thanks. (Are they finnished with the Beech? Tomcat-Phil you know the Beech-planes!) They said she had to return to US before november (2005) becourse of the ensurance paperwork... but time fly.

At that time, 2005, there where 5(?!) Mitchells in UK, but now only two remains, (Hendon and Dx?). Hope attachment is included with a picture of BedSheetBomber, she was the purpose of the visit at North Weald.

The other three went to Holland (BedSeetBomber?), Belgium (GGAnn?) and US (Grumpy)?

What about the french Mitchell, did she go to a Swiss-collector? Not RedBull, is it?

Happy for updates on the Mitchell-status over here and in Russia!

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Speaking of Grumpy, and going off at a tangent immediately, there's a pic in one of the big two historic mags this month of Grumpy, taken overlooking the M11 and the closest building to it. There's an intriguing looking pile of junk behind it. Looks like a Spitfire fuselage - I guess this is the FSM that made an unexpected take-off in a gale - and stood just a little way away is a pair of silver wings that look as though they might have swiss markings on. Has someone got a PC2 in bits over there?

Adrian

Member for

20 years 1 month

Bedsheet Bomber went to Parkhouse aviation at Booker near High Wycombe. Not heard or seen anything about it recently though.

Member for

20 years

I believe Stephen Grey commutes in a Swiss-registered PC-12. If I was clever I would post a picture of it taken at Duxford (but I'm not).

Member for

18 years 5 months

I believe Stephen Grey commutes in a Swiss-registered PC-12. If I was clever I would post a picture of it taken at Duxford (but I'm not).

Is this the machine you mean? Caught coming into Flying Legends 2008 part way into the show;
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1087198/

Member for

19 years 5 months

....why did it have to go to the USA ? I guess its down to one thing ,,Money ,thats where all the money is ,just like the Tigercat.....
Terry

Think of it this way...
What was the reason it (and the Tigercat) came to the UK in the first place...

Money perhaps?:D

Member for

15 years 4 months

Although Grumpy left for the USA, you still have our dutch "Sarinah" B-25 for your viewing enjoyment ;)...

Grtz,

TG1984

Member for

14 years 11 months

Although Grumpy left for the USA, you still have our dutch "Sarinah" B-25 for your viewing enjoyment ;)...

Grtz,

TG1984

:( O yes, sorry! You got a real nice collection at Gilzen?, or did the planes move to an other base. Remember reading that a Mustang, some time ago was added to the assembly. Are they still operated from the same base, and where?

Member for

14 years 6 months

Their gain is our loss. I hope they enjoy Grumpy as much as we have for the last few years.:(:)

Member for

24 years 3 months

When you look at the top picture on page 41 of the february issue of FP magazine 2010, it's hard to believe that Grumpy made the trip to the US. The propellor of the port engine is missing at least one blade!!!

:) Hadn't noticed that even though I took the picture. I can assure you it was there :D

Member for

17 years 8 months

:) Hadn't noticed that even though I took the picture. I can assure you it was there :D

Pffeew.... Thanks. I can relax again :D

Member for

19 years

Speaking of Grumpy, and going off at a tangent immediately, there's a pic in one of the big two historic mags this month of Grumpy, taken overlooking the M11 and the closest building to it. There's an intriguing looking pile of junk behind it. Looks like a Spitfire fuselage - I guess this is the FSM that made an unexpected take-off in a gale - and stood just a little way away is a pair of silver wings that look as though they might have swiss markings on. Has someone got a PC2 in bits over there?

Adrian

No it's an unused Spitfire FSM from the same maker as the "one flight" only example. The Swiss markings are on the remains of the unfortunate P2 A-125/G-BLKZ which was written off after an engine failure/forced landing/conflagration-vandalisation incident.