7 plane crashes in south Lincolnshire 1941 - 1945

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 8 months

I have been transcribing the war time diaries of a Special Constable who was based in the Deepings, a group of villages at the southern border of Lincolnshire. All the crashes listed occurred within an area around the Deepings. I have some information from the diaries but would like more details. I have details about the Junkers 88, including a photograph of 3 soldiers, sent to guard the site, and a local lady who provided them with tea. The local newspaper of the time was constrained by censorship.
Any information will be welcome. I do have the number of one of the B17s
Sunday June 22nd 1941 A Junkers 88 crashed near Haynes Farm off Back Lane Deeping St James.
December 19th 1941 A Havoc plane crashed on Loss Drain bank
October 2nd 1942 A Flying Fortress crashed at Cubit.
Friday September 8th 1944 A Flying Fortress crashed north of Deeping
Saturday September 9th 1944 A Liberator crashed at Dorrington’s Farm Stowgate
Thursday Dec 7th 1944 A 4 engine plane crashed in Langtoft Fen.
Sunday April 15th 1945 An Oxford Plane crash at Towngate setting fire to a house.

Original post

Member for

16 years 11 months

krs welcome!
But for those without a working knowledge of the local patois "Cubit" is the local pronunciation of Cowbit.
HTH
Resmoroh

Member for

16 years 3 months

Hello KRS,

I have three photos of the pilot of the Ju 88, + death notices which I got from the brother of Otto Wiese. I also have a copy of the RAF combat report, A.I.(k) intelligence report and the A.I.(g) crash site report. I am more than happy to exchange information with you regarding this loss.

You can contact me through our website: Just drop Kelvin a short note and he will pass it on to me. www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Melvin (Aircrew Remembrance Society)

Member for

24 years 3 months

October 2nd 1942 A Flying Fortress crashed at Cubit.

This is (From Air-Britain Crash list)

2.10.42 B-17F 41-24492 306th BG Cowbit, near Spalding Broke Up in air

Member for

18 years

Hi KRS
The Havoc was a Turbinlite (Not sure of the spelling) and parts of it are displayed at East Kirkby.
The B17 north of Deeping was, if my memory is correct, called 8 ball & the B17 at Cowbit might be the same one that I have been getting information about near Spalding.
Are you a local ?
Andy

Member for

16 years 9 months

You need to get hold of "Combat Ready" GMS Enterprises 1997 by local author Alastair Goodrum ,lists all wartime air crash incidents in the area.

Member for

16 years 9 months

The B-24J on 09 Sept 1944 story here : http://www.458bg.com/crewaa02frederick.htm

8/9/44 B-17G 42-31238 351BG "Devils Ball" 511BS Coded "DS:A" 2/Lt J.C. Haba.

8/12/44 Lancaster PB749 1651HCU F/Sgt J.Hall.

15/4/45 Oxford HM676 18(P)AFU Flt/Sgt R.D.Fishbourne.

17/12/41 Havoc Turbinlite BD120 1453 Flt. Sgt J.L Sudders.

Member for

24 years 3 months

German Crew were

22.6.41 REG.13/1778 Hermann Mandel. Buried Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, Staffordshire, England. Block 5, Grave 347.
22.6.41 62746-6 Richard Schmid. Buried Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, Staffordshire, England. Block 7, Grave 253.
22.6.41 Otto Wiese. Cannock Chase Buried German Military Cemetery, Staffordshire, England. Block 5, Grave 346

It was a Ju-88C nightfighter (R4+JH) of 1./NJG2 which was hit and set on fire from a Beaufighter serial R2777 flown by Flt Lt Mike
Herrick of 25 Sqn at Wittering. 2 of the crew bailed out, but one of these died as did the pilot Fw Otto Wiese

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cross-checking details the Havoc is serialled BD120 and it spun in near Crowland. Never believe all you read in book's and newspaper's ! The Lancaster broke up in flight near Langtoft. The Oxford hit H.T cables in poor visibility.

Member for

18 years

Hi T-21
East Kirkby have got this Havoc as crashed near the railway line at Stowgate which is about half way between Crowland & Deeping st James.
Andy

Member for

14 years 7 months

Junkers 88 R4+JH

My father was Mike Herrick's radar op when this aircraft was shot down. I would very much like to acquire any info or photos relating to this incident. I also have a compass belonging to the sole survivor Heinrich Beul.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Ref B17 Crash North Of Deeping

Hi KRS
The Havoc was a Turbinlite (Not sure of the spelling) and parts of it are displayed at East Kirkby.
The B17 north of Deeping was, if my memory is correct, called 8 ball & the B17 at Cowbit might be the same one that I have been getting information about near Spalding.
Are you a local ?
Andy

Hi

The B17 crash north of Deeping Sept 8th 1944. The aircraft was actually named "Devil's Ball" and crashed in a field at Langtoft Fen whereby wreckage severely damaged the farmhouse and buildings at Crown Lodge Farm. Ironically the crash site was about 400 yards from the old RAF Langtoft's tracking station. Cause of the crash was said to be that the aircraft iced up. There were two survivors the rest of the crew perished. For many years after the crash a propellor blade from the plane was at the farm and was later donated to The Deepings School its location now though seems none existant. Regards Neville

Member for

16 years 8 months

Would be very interested to see stuff on these aircraft as I grew up in Market Deeping,The JU 88 was on me friends allotment (backsides) this was Colin Fletcher whose son Steve was sadly killed in an air crash this year. I found a 50 cal bullet from this aircraft in 1977 on a farm `bushbeat`.Horace Thompson owned the RAF Langtoft Rotor site and turned it into a scrapyard eventually.I was told by him he found a flack helmet (with head) from this aircraft during the war...seem to remember there were hundreds of 50 cal bullets lying around.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have bits of the Lancaster from Langtoft Fen,also some from a Lanc that crashed on Bourne Bus Garage,but never found any records on this one.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Any ideas who dug the Junkers 88 and where the bits are on display ?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi

The B17 crash north of Deeping Sept 8th 1944. The aircraft was actually named "Devil's Ball" and crashed in a field at Langtoft Fen whereby wreckage severely damaged the farmhouse and buildings at Crown Lodge Farm. Ironically the crash site was about 400 yards from the old RAF Langtoft's tracking station. Cause of the crash was said to be that the aircraft iced up. There were two survivors the rest of the crew perished. For many years after the crash a propellor blade from the plane was at the farm and was later donated to The Deepings School its location now though seems none existant. Regards Neville

That`s very interesting as I went to Deepings School,I will make some enquiries about it.

Member for

16 years 8 months

My father was Mike Herrick's radar op when this aircraft was shot down. I would very much like to acquire any info or photos relating to this incident. I also have a compass belonging to the sole survivor Heinrich Beul.

There was a book called `Around The Deepings` by Dorathea Price which had a few pages on the Junkers 88, there was the official RAF report,a newspaper cutting and pictures of the pilots ring a farmer found years later.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The JU 88 .... a 50 cal bullet from this aircraft

12.7mm surely?

Moggy

Member for

16 years 8 months

Correct Moggie,what I meant to say was 50 cal bullet from the B17 that crashed on Langtoft Fen.

Member for

14 years 7 months

There was a book called `Around The Deepings` by Dorathea Price which had a few pages on the Junkers 88, there was the official RAF report,a newspaper cutting and pictures of the pilots ring a farmer found years later.

Thanks for the info. I have now met Dorothea Price who gave me a copy of the book "Around the Deepings". She was 12 years old at the time of the incident and she witnessed the plane coming down. Great help.

I am sure Melvin's copy of the Combat Report will be of interest to you, krs.