IAF Vampiers last flight log book.....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I found this interesting part of the persons log book who flew IAFs last Vampire flight(last mission)...thought u guys might be interested.....

Date: 16th April 1975
A/c: Vampire 52

However, this was no ordinary sortie. Ashort tale hangs on this short 40 km trip, made on a warm but clear day, from neighbouringHakimpet to AFA. The story starts with a request made to AirHQ by Air Cmde (later on Air Chief Marshal) "Baba" Katre, then Commandant AFA,to provide a Vampire aircraft for display at the Academy. Having been actively involved inthe design of the Academy he knew that the two major triangular traffic islands werespecifically designed for display of vintage aircraft. However, though the Academy hadbeen in existence for about 4 years no historical aircraft had yet been positioned.

Vampires by then were already obsolete as they were no longer in squadron service and 112 PC (the last course to fly the Vampire)had finished their training; 113 PC was doing their advanced training on the newlyinducted Kirans at AFA. In fact, many Vampires had been flown to their last hour and thenparked on the western part of the tarmac, as they came to the end of their TTL (TotalTechnical Life). By April 1975 about 15-18 aircraft (actually aircraft shells, as they hadbeen stripped of all usable items) adorned the edge of the dispersal, externally stilllooking quite complete (1) and ready to fly.
In addition, there were still about half adozen fighters (Mk-52) and an odd trainer or two (Mk-55) still serviceable and in storagelocally, although none of them had been flown since Dec 74. Therefore, the request of theCommandant, AFA should have received an immediate positive response. But in those days therewas hardly any sense of history, nor the urge to preserve our heritage; in fact evenaircraft photographs were rare, there were hardly any aircraft on display anywhere andeven the IAF Museum had not yet even been thought of. Thus, it is not surprising thatsomebody at Air HQ wrote back saying that display of aircraft was a waste of time andmoney and no Vampire could be spared for the purpose.

Air Cmde Katre, however, was not one togive up easily. He called up CI, FTW (Fighter Training Wing, as AF Station, Hakimpet wasthen called). Wg. Cdr. Roy Kothawala (2) was also the officiating StationCdr that day (I think Air Cmde Katre timed it shrewdly; he did not want to deal withanother big NO and waited till the then Stn Cdr was out of town!). Roy Kothawalla immediately ordered the CEOto prepare a Vampire Mk 52 for flying and then sent for me.

Why me, you might ask. Well, since therewas no flying at Hakimpet all the QFIs had been attached out to various FTEs. In fact 4QFIs were in Poland doing their conversion on Iskra aircraft. I too had been away onattachment to FIS for over three months, but I had been routed back to FTW at my requestas my wife was expected to deliver our second child any day. I was the only Vampirequalified pilot available to carry out the task the CI had in mind. Roy Kothawala's briefing was simple. AVampire Mk 52 was being de-inhibited and prepared for an air test. Its 'Form700' was to be taken on board. He then looked around surreptitiously; satisfied thatno one was listening, he whispered what he wanted me to do next.

Very soon I got airborne. I hadn’tflown the Vampire for about 4 months and it felt much lighter and more responsive than theKirans which I had been flying at FIS. I arrived overhead AFA and sought permission tocarry out aerobatics, which was promptly given. I learnt later on that the Commandant wasat the ATC to see his first 'vintage' aircraft arriving. After about 20 minutesof some pretty tight manoeuvring, I declared an 'emergency' of hydraulicpressure falling and severe engine vibrations. The call was duly acknowledged by AFA and Iwas given permission to carry out a priority landing; naturally at AFA.

I landed, taxied in and parked in front ofHangar No.6. Then with a flourish I took out the Form 700 and proceeded to write the'snags': engine vibrations, hydraulic failure, oil pressure fluctuating,undercarriage not lowering on main system, ..... the list of problems covered one wholepage of the F-700. If photocopying machines had existed then I would definitely have kepta copy of that page; it was the biggest bunch of lies I had ever penned! Before being dropped back in a Harvard(which were still flying at AFA) I shared a glass of beer with a very grateful Air CmdeBaba Katre.

The end of the story was most gratifyingfor those involved. Air HQ, "after due consideration", concluded that the enginechange, rectification and final recovery of Vampire Mk 52 IB-1638, which had only a fewhours before TTL, was "economically unviable". The Air HQ letter went on furtherto say, "....therefore, the aircraft would have to be 'disposed off' atAFA." However, Baba Katre hadn't waited forthis pronouncement. Within days of its arrival at AFA a team of airmen from Hakimpet towedand installed the Vampire at its present location, just opposite Academy House, on theVampire Triangle, where it remains till date (3).

Every time I pass this little beauty Iremember the satisfaction I had in writing DNCO, later that day, in the FTW Con TrainingAuthorisation Book, although it was a DCO from the point of view of the intended mission. Having read this piece I am sureyou'll excuse me if once in a while I get a bit emotional about that pile of metaland plywood with twin-booms that lies within a hundred meters of my present residence

Heres a pic of 1638 at its present resting place...

Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c99fffb4cb5db5a.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: IAF Vampire's last flight log book - Author

>
> ... Having read
>this piece I am sure you'll excuse me if once in a while I
>get a bit emotional about that pile of metal and plywood with
>twin-booms that lies within a hundred meters of my present
>residence
>_______________________________
>
>

Nice story, Kabir.

You might want to add that the author of this piece was the Commandant of the Air Force Academy, when he wrote this article -- it kinda helps explain that last phrase, "that lies within a hundred meters of my present residence"! Regards,

Snoopy