Jack Malloch's Mk 22 Spitfire PK350

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

This aircraft crashed in the early eighties and was the only airworthy Mk 22 Spitfire in the world at the time (nothing has changed sofar).

Does anyone know the story about him acquiring the Spit and the restoration or was it in such a good shape that it was fueled, serviced and took off?

Cheers

Cees

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

This aircraft crashed in the early eighties and was the only airworthy Mk 22 Spitfire in the world at the time (nothing has changed sofar).

Does anyone know the story about him acquiring the Spit and the restoration or was it in such a good shape that it was fueled, serviced and took off?

Cheers

Cees

Cees - there was a video documentary made of the whole story (shown on TV many years ago) - the final sequence sadly filmed on his final flight. Not sure how to get a copy but no doubt someone will know.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Funny i was talking to a friend of a friend last saturday who was in the air force at the time, knew Jack well & helped get it back in the air. Apparently it was well known that Jack had heart trouble but nothing was said about it at the time. The aircraft disappeared into bad weather after the camera plane returned to base & the next thing was a phonecall the next day from a farmer to say he had a plane wreck on his farm & it turned out to be Jack & the Spit. The throttle was found to be wide open. This is just a tiny part of what i was told last week.

Member for

16 years 8 months

from www.jackmalloch.com

1979 to 1982
Jack is very involved in the SAS bridge-blowing ‘Operation Cheese’ in north-eastern Zambia – September 1979
Jack makes the first flight in the renovated Spitfire Mk 22 – March 1980
Jack’s CL-44 is destroyed by fire at Salisbury airport – February 1982.
Jack is killed while flying the Spitfire Mk 22 on the last day of filming the documentary ‘Pursuit of a Dream’ – March 1982.

DVD link there as well. First I had heard of him, sounds an interesting man to say the least !! The WWW site says that a biography will be out soon plus it has some snaps of the MK22.

Member for

20 years 8 months

That link doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone else?

Member for

24 years 3 months

from www.jackmolloch.com

1979 to 1982
Jack is very involved in the SAS bridge-blowing ‘Operation Cheese’ in north-eastern Zambia – September 1979
Jack is killed while flying the Spitfire Mk 22 on the last day of filming the documentary ‘Pursuit of a Dream’ – March 1982.

DVD link there as well. First I had heard of him, sounds an interesting man to say the least !! The WWW site says that a biography will be out soon plus it has some snaps of the MK22.

I think the link would work if you spelt his name correctly

Try www.jackmalloch.com

Mark

Member for

16 years 8 months

I think the link would work if you spelt his name correctly

Try www.jackmalloch.com

Mark

I hear and obey:o sorry ! what a life story though.....

Member for

24 years 3 months

Funny i was talking to a friend of a friend last Saturday who was in the air force at the time, knew Jack well & helped get it back in the air. Apparently it was well known that Jack had heart trouble but nothing was said about it at the time. The aircraft disappeared into bad weather after the camera plane returned to base & the next thing was a phonecall the next day from a farmer to say he had a plane wreck on his farm & it turned out to be Jack & the Spit. The throttle was found to be wide open. This is just a tiny part of what i was told last week.

If you saw the size of the hole in the ground and the size of the remnants...etc. :(

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/22-PK350PRACollection-001.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Coincidentley we recently got his story sent to us at the Classic Wings office with a load of detail and photos which I have yet to study. A future article there no doubt, although the ending puts me off a little :(

Dave

Member for

20 years 8 months

Coincidentley we recently got his story sent to us at the Classic Wings office with a load of detail and photos which I have yet to study. A future article there no doubt, although the ending puts me off a little :(

Dave

Sounds like a story that should be told - I'm certainly intrigued by it from what I've read on the website.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sounds like a story that should be told - I'm certainly intrigued by it from what I've read on the website.

Same goes - a varied life to say the least, not sure how you would classify it (assuming it needed it) an adventurer ? Certainly, but a story to be told for sure.

Member for

16 years 7 months

from www.jackmalloch.com

1979 to 1982

Does anyone know if this DVD is actually the "Spitfire pursuit of a dream" programme or different as it looks to be called "Jack Malloch - Tango romeo" which is the title of his biography and implies that it is a DVD version of this.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Dave

Did it ever get published Dave?

Member for

24 years 3 months

No - still sitting. Not sure if it will.

Dave

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just watched it on YouTube - fascinating, but what a sad ending. Especially as you get to see the actual weather conditions shortly before the accident.

Member for

16 years 11 months

PK350 film

The documentary broadcast in (if I recall) 1986 on (I think) BBC2 was different to the one you can get a copy of today, "In Pursuit of a Dream" I believe is the one available these days.

If I remember correctly the 1986 one was narrated by David Lomax and included interviews with Ian Smith (former Rhodesian PM and Wartime Spitfire pilot) and was the better of the two. The two programmes were very similar, but slightly different in content.

I'd like a copy of the one broadcast on TV in the 80s if anyone has one. Mine gave up the ghost many years ago (the joys of VHS!).

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok thanks for the reply Dave,shame really because I'm sure lots of people would like to read the story.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Thanks for the Youtube link, I can finally watch this documentary :)