Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Malloch's Mk 22 Spitfire PK350

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sage the Owl
    Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for the Youtube link, I can finally watch this documentary

Comment

• GrahamSimons
      Rank 5 Registered User

Jack Malloch was also involved with Bill Armstrong and the whole Biafrian episode
      Interested in what I'm doing? Please visit http://gmsenterprises.blogspot.com/

Comment

• flyingant
        Rank 5 Registered User

I think that should read "Biafran".

Jack is held in very high esteem for all he did for Rhodesia.
        Last edited by flyingant; 15th January 2013, 23:36.

Comment

• Dan Johnson
          Wannabe Yank in the RAF

Easy to see why they considered changing the name from Spitfire with the later Griffon birds. What a beast. A beauty too but a monster in the air. Sad that Mr. Malloch and his Spit were lost

I still have a scrapbook of Spit pics clipped out of different magazines from when I first went around the bend about Spitfires and that bird is included.

Comment

• DazDaMan
            Rank 5 Registered User

Haven't managed to watch the YouTube clip fully, but I will this evening.
            Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• Melvyn Hiscock
              who are you?!

I have just had a message from an old friend to tell me that at 26:15, or thereabouts, on the youtube programme you can see John Fairey in his uniform discussing the flight.

Comment

• K5054NZ
                Rank 5 Registered User

Finally getting to see this film is wonderful, but so sad knowing the outcome. It reminds me somewhat of the Kee Bird documentary.

Thanks for sharing, I may have to watch it again. She was a beautiful aircraft, and the paint work looks immaculate to my eyes.
                "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

• Snoopy7422
                  Rank 5 Registered User

JM.

I don't know about his 'dodgy ticker', but a pal who was there said that JM flew right into a TS. That's a fact, I don't think that there was any evidence that Jacks health was to blame. A very sad end to an all-round heroic effort.

Comment

• Sopwith
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
                    I don't know about his 'dodgy ticker', but a pal who was there said that JM flew right into a TS. That's a fact, I don't think that there was any evidence that Jacks health was to blame. A very sad end to an all-round heroic effort.
                    I had heard this too.It was the first I'd heard of a ticker problem on this thread.

Comment

• WV-903.
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Jack Malloch's Spitfire.

Originally posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
                      Out in Oman (Airworks )in early 1980's, we had a co- rigger (on Omani Hunters) who was in the Rhodesian Air Force and there when Jack Malloch was re-building and flying his Spit. He talked with Jack quite a lot and said to us that Jack had got hold of a Spitfire belly Ferry Tank because he was intending to move to UK before Rhodesia became Zimbabwi. So the intention was there but fate stepped in. This chap never mentioned anything about Jack having a "dodgy" ticker, but did say that he had run into a thunderstorm that either dis-oriented him or drove him into ground and yes it was a full throttle impact.

We did get hold of a manky video Copy of "Pursuit of a Dream", which I think was the one with Ian Smith talking in it. And were fascinated by Jack's and everyone else's efforts to get PK-350 Flying. Shame about it all, but I'm very glad to see this piece of history resurrected in this thread. Great memories--Great man.

Bill T.

Comment

• iceni
                        Rank 5 Registered User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WLxrePTYp0

Comment

• Black Knight
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Was anything recovered?

Comment

• Sopwith
                            Rank 5 Registered User

Time to print that article now DaveM2?, still loads of interest.

Comment

• DaveM2
                              Rank 5 Registered User

No need, there is an excellent book about it which was released a few years back which we reviewed - Mallock Spitfire by Nick Meikle
                              Last edited by DaveM2; 4th June 2017, 04:11.

Comment

• Trolly Aux
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Did I see a very young Mark Hamment in white overalls? more commonly known as Mark 2 by the Harvard Formation Team
                                SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                                TA out

Comment

• Mark12
                                  MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY

A further interesting read is 'Captain Jack Malloch - The Life and Times of a Rhodesian Entrepreneur - A sad tale from Africa' by Dan Remenyi.

Rememyi worked on and off for Jack Malloch/Air Trans Africa for a number of years and gives an insight in to the state of Malloch's companies and the possible state of his mind at the time of the crash.

Malloch is reported and recorded as flying directly in to a massive thunder-head cloud that 'pebble-dashed' the accompanying Vampire...if so one has to ask why.

Mark
                                  "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• Mark12
                                    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY

Originally posted by Black Knight
                                    Was anything recovered?
                                    The Spitfire was totally pulverised leaving a crater some 50/60' in diameter and some 6' deep.

A few residual smashed parts were recovered to Harare including a sprinkling of small pieces retained by Bill Sykes, the pilot of the Vampire.

Downsizing, Bill generously gifted a few pieces to me, including the firewall data-plate, in 2014. These are now a personal permanent record that I have seen it.

...and before you ask, don't go there.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

In case anyone hasn't yet seen it....
                                      Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• Rocketeer
                                        Left to do other things

Sad stuff Peter
                                        Tony Dyer
                                        https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

• Mustang51
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

Very sad. I had a friend here in Oz who stated that he knew Jack well and that he believed Jack had been told that the Spitfire was going to be confiscated by the incoming Zimbabwe Govt. A totally uncorroborated and unsupported story to add to the vast array of such rumors and thought bubbles out there. The only person who knows why the aircraft was flown into that Cb is sadly no longer able to tell us why.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X