Look out in Spain !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some historic aircraft are based at Casarubios, a small airfield near Madrid. When there, a Spanish registrated Auster and a Yak-18 were flying. However, after taking some photographs of the aircraft (from the restaurant), we were charched by the aircraft owner around 700 Euro's each for "using the field to take photo's". Better avoid this airfield.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Look out in Spain !

Sorry, the airport owner charched us, the aircraft owners had no problem with it at all

Member for

24 years 2 months

Roger - Sounds very generous of the bloke!!! Well if he ever pitches
up in the U.K we will have to charge him a fistful of Euro's for pic's!

Member for

24 years 2 months

whats 700 euros in proper money?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am only forced by our governement to use the "Euro Peso", but in P.Sterling it will be around 375 P.St or so. By the way, he charched us, but we managed to "escape" when we were "getting the money out of the car". It is for sure that no photographers are welcome there any more, which is a shame as it is an photographers dream there.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Roger - Out of interest have you seen the aircraft within the collection at Sabadell i.e Beech Mentor ,Cessna 170 etc. I am interested to know if they still have the Dakota nose within the collection??

Member for

24 years 2 months

This charging cash for taking photographs appears to be a bit dodgy to me. Getting arrested for taking illegal photo's of military aircraft in restricted areas has been a hazard for years, and probably well known. But I've never come across this situation before. Any legal eagles out there who can advise on the legalities of someone having the right to attempt to get money in this way?

KeithMac

Member for

24 years 2 months

I suggest if it's his property you are on he is within his rights although most solicitor's would suggest that these restrictions should be notified in the form of a sign beforehand .

Member for

24 years 2 months

David, I have seen the historic aircraft at Sabadell many times. Like the FIO in Madrid, the Parc Aeronautic de Catalunya, is giving many airshows a year (every 3rd sunday of the month). They started to have a big and interested collection overhere. "Hottest" example in their collection is a recently restored Super Saeta which, as the Sabadell runway is a bit short, is based at Gerona. The Dakota nose at the other end of the airfield, at "Hangar Blau" was scrapped some 2-3 years ago. all what remains of the Dak is an engine. The Miles Messenger G-ALAH was recently sold here as a restauration project for around 4000 P.St.

About the field, there were no signs warning against photography. I think the problem was there because we used EOS-3 and EOS 1V camera's and the owner thought that expensive looking camera's ment that we had money to spent. At some Spanish airfields, like Madrid and Barcelona, you have to pay to take photographs but, for that money they give you somebody to drive you around over the field. The charge is something of 120 P.St. or so but then you get everything what you want (this service is for journalists and audio visual media). Maybe he heard of this charge and thought he could earn easy money by charching the two foreigners. In general photography in Spain, even at military bases, isn't that problematic. If they don't like it, they sent you away. No arrests or film/camera confiscation is to be expected here. I have been photographing in Spain since 1977 and this is the first time I ran in problems ( although it must be said that after the Mark Hanna crash my films were confiscated but have been returned to me).