Halifax Cockpit Project

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cees asked me to post his pics of his Lancas... :diablo::p:dev2::D Oh sorry, Halifax project.

BW Roger

Attachments

Member for

18 years 3 months

Nice Lincoln!:D

Member for

17 years

Stirling if you please:p

Member for

17 years 7 months

Not on your life, one project at the time please?:D

Cees

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's a Halton!!
Hey at least I stuck with the HP brand Cees!
Just joking mate, terrific job. Are you building a new canopy for it as well?

Member for

17 years 7 months

Peter,

Now that's a good idea, a Halton. I can delete al the nasty things and paint it red (not black).

Yes, it's not as easy as the Lancaster where there are some spares lying around. We we have to build a new canopy as there isn't one available, or is there?

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nothing over here Cees sorry...

Member for

17 years 8 months

Speaking of Halifaxes i recently turned up a complete nose glazing for one still in its frame, i believe taken from a scrapped one, didnt want it myself a friend of mine now has it i will try and post a picture soon i forgot to take one when i was last round at his, amazing what can still turn up

Member for

24 years 3 months

Speaking of Halifaxes i recently turned up a complete nose glazing for one still in its frame, i believe taken from a scrapped one, didnt want it myself a friend of mine now has it i will try and post a picture soon i forgot to take one when i was last round at his, amazing what can still turn up

Oh Cees....

Member for

20 years 10 months

Cees asked me to post his pics of his Lancas... :diablo::p:dev2::D Oh sorry, Halifax project.

BW Roger

Cees, I like this man, obviously a good friend :diablo:

Despite the make and model, I look forward to each update (:eek: :D ) and I'm looking forward to the finished article!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Isn`t that the metal and canvas Troop/passenger seat that was on ebay and didn`t sell,also been shown on here,very nice condition..but too pricey ?

Member for

17 years 7 months

And you mean you didn't think of me foist?:eek::eek:

Hope it is in good hands, would very much like to see some pics. As far as I know there was only one in storage at the RAFM. YAM's example needs one
hint hint, how about it?

Cees

Member for

17 years 7 months

Isn`t that the metal and canvas Troop/passenger seat that was on ebay and didn`t sell,also been shown on here,very nice condition..but too pricey ?

Martin,

Yes, the same, you have all the details I sent you recently.

Cees

Member for

17 years 8 months

And you mean you didn't think of me foist?:eek::eek:

Hope it is in good hands, would very much like to see some pics. As far as I know there was only one in storage at the RAFM. YAM's example needs one
hint hint, how about it?

Cees

Rest assured it is now in very safe hands, how i found it was incredibly lucky, my special junk powers never let me down. It came from the north of Sotland, and is not the Rafm one. The metal framing is excellent, perspex has one crack and needs a polish, the little glass windows are missing, there was a compass thingy still mounted to it and a bracket for the Vickers K ? I am taking my k round to see if it fits. It may be available but it would i am sure have to be a seriously good swap, the transport cost alone was pretty steep let alone the purchase price, but it is always a buzz when i turn stuff up !

Member for

17 years 7 months

JC,

I too am amazed what still turns up. In the days of 57Rescue Ian Foster told me what discoveries they made up there in the north, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Perhaps YAM can make a swap for it, it would make HR792 look much better without the distorted perspex nosepiece she wears now (with all due respect to the chap who made it those years ago). Did it came out of an old yard or a remote crashsite (although the latter would be unlikely reading your description of the find).

Cheers

Cees

Member for

17 years 8 months

JC,

I too am amazed what still turns up. In the days of 57Rescue Ian Foster told me what discoveries they made up there in the north, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Perhaps YAM can make a swap for it, it would make HR792 look much better without the distorted perspex nosepiece she wears now (with all due respect to the chap who made it those years ago). Did it came out of an old yard or a remote crashsite (although the latter would be unlikely reading your description of the find).

Cheers

Cees

It was in someones outbuilding in a house, I believe it was obtained many moons ago when some were scrapped in the area, like most house finds i thought the alloy would have rotted if it had been on the ground but its near perfect, so luckily I think it has been kept undercover most of its post flying life

The museum idea would be nice, but in reality neither I nor my friend, and others I know, have had any luck with museums, I personally have either been met with it the kind of response along the lines we would be happy for you to give it to us, or sorry we dont have anything for trade or silly offers, best was a repro BFP and battered trainer panel for a major WW2 Bomber throttle Box, same museum has a very long list of wants needless to say. Another good one was after offering a rare rudder pedal assembly a group needed for their cockpit was to be told, I would have to wait 3 months until the committee next met and discussed it, no thanks, said cockpit is still pedal less, 6 years on.

The best of all when I approached a museum who had a stripped out cockpit, I had acquired 80% of the parts they needed, I offered them the stuff, I was met with sorry don't want it, so I asked if they wanted to sell the cockpit so I could restore it, and was told we are going to restore it (for which my first thought was how ? if you don't want the parts???????), then less than 12 months later after I had got rid of my stuff, I by chance found out they now wanted to sell it !!!!!

Those parts have now left the UK and that cockpits best shot at ever being restored has gone.

I am not saying this about YAM as I have never been there or know anyone there, and I have followed their project with awe, but after the above and other experiences after taking the time and trouble to contact museums first, I personally am generally hit with a sinking feeling when that is thought an option, but I am sure the many museums in the UK are not all like this, but they need to bear in mind they have stiff competition for parts now, while I am sure it would be nice to be philanthropic, this took a severe amount of work to persuade the owner to sell it let alone transport it ! If they want to contact me and I will forward their details on no problem, but if its going to be any of the above best not bother.

Member for

17 years 7 months

JC,

Hmm yes, I can see what you mean.

Let's make sure the item has a good home and show some piccies to
make us jealous.:)
I cannot use it as my cockpit will stop at frame 4 instead of frame 1;)
A few months ago I was offered a large section of Halifax mainspar that's lying in some French scrapyard.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

17 years 8 months

I would be as happy as the next man to see it at YAM, sorry to be so negative but i have found over the years 100% of trades have been done with the private projects where the individual like yourself has a foot firmly planted in reality, sorry but it will be next week before i can get pictures, bite on a bullet if it gets too unbearable to wait :)

Member for

17 years 7 months

JC,

Yes, it's a matter of reality and wishful thinking. Don't worry about waiting for a week. BarrageBalloon hasn't posted his photo's of the Stirling section yet.

I will be on holiday in Yorkshire during september so a visit to YAM is on the cards as well as having tea in Bety's Bar.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

19 years 6 months

Dont forget to visit Aeroventure, Fort Paull ( Beverley and Hunter) and Breighton while visiting our beautifull county.

Nice work on the cockpit.

Ben