Coloured pilots - in the RAF?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Having read about the new developments concerning George Lucas' Red Tails film project, I feel compelled to ask a question that could turn out to have a very straightforward answer - but then again, maybe not.

Were there ever any black/Afro-Caribbean pilots in the RAF during the Second World War?

I recall one of the characters in the HBO TV-movie, The Tuskegee Airmen, having had some combat experience with the RAF (like so many Americans did before the US entered the war). But, of course, this is a film, albeit one based on actual events.

So, the question remains: did a black pilot ever serve with the Royal Air Force during the war??

does HBO is also supporting Smart TV App? HBO go will work on TV?
HBO GO on Smart TV, Android TV, and Apple TV

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

More than just one i'd imagine - I once had a supply teacher whose grandfather, a black Jamaican, flew Lancaster's

There's the story of a Jamaican Lanc pilot here http://www.mgtrust.org/car2.htm

Member for

24 years 2 months

At least one Typhoon pilot.

I have a unit group image.

Mark

Member for

15 years 8 months

P/O W.E. Recile from Trinidad and Tobago flew Spitfires with 64 and 1 Squadrons in 1944/45

Peter

Member for

19 years 5 months

E. R. Braithwaite, the author of "To Sir With with Love" (a book remembered for its film and theme song) was a pilot with the RAF.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Coloured Pilots

There were a number of aircrew from the W.I's.that served in the RAF during W11. The 1948 Olympic 400m Gold Medalist Arthur Wint who represented
Jamaica at the Wembley games served as a Pilot Officer, I believe he was a
Fighter pilot. Wint ran for GB during the 50's. He qualified as a Doctor at London'
St Bartholomew's Hospital and later became the Jamaican High Commissioner to
London.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks for the info, chaps.

It just strikes me that I've never seen anything about coloured pilots in the RAF at all (save for the odd Indian)....

Member for

16 years 3 months

Halifax LW 648 was named after her Nigerian wireless operator "The Black Prince". As she was 'A' of 76 Squadron "Achtung!" was placed before "TBP". This info comes from 'Halifax Special' by Bruce Robertson. Unfortunatly his name is not mentioned.

Peter

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

It's surpising how many different nationalities served in the RAF.
In the Roll of honour for Foulsham nfk airfield
is Sgt R.Mc Boswell 180 sqdn Fl672 27th Feb 43 (argentina)
F/O J.P. Toeg 98 sqdn FL216 24th June 43 (Shanghai China)
so guess it was a real mixed bunch.

Member for

24 years 2 months

263 Sqn had an Indian (though I always believed he was a Sri Lankan) who flew both Whirlwinds and Typhoons, Sgt Sayanapuram Duraiswamy Thyagarajan . He is buried in France close to where he crashed.

See here for more information :- Tiger

Member for

24 years 2 months

Flt Lt Htin Yain Lao was a Burmese RAFVR pilot on 257 (Burma) sqn. According to Roger A Freeman's "The Royal Air Force of World War Two in Colour", he was the only Burmese airman in Europe. He was killed when his aircraft crashed in a snowstorm returning from an Op on 20 Jan '45.

Picture below shows him standing on the stbd wheel.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 7 months

Don't know how many served in the RAF but there were many that came over to Canada, trained in the BCATP and then went on to serve overseas.
One that definitely comes to mind is our former Lt Gov. The Right Hon. Lincoln Alexander.
A great man, much loved in Ontario and a member of the Order of Canada.

Member for

24 years 2 months

At least one Typhoon pilot.

I have a unit group image.

Mark

Jamaican, Howard Kelsick of 175 Squadron here at B.5.

Foreground second left.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/JWFAlbumNo3046175SquadronB5o2jpg-1.jpg

Member for

21 years

IIRC there was one Jamaican listed as flying in the Battle of Britain.....I don't know if it's the same guy that appears in that well known photo of the clutch of pilots in winter flying gear standing with Malan...??

Member for

20 years 7 months

Excellent stuff, guys.

I'm not sure the BNP would appreciate the irony, somehow! :diablo:

Member for

20 years 6 months

The Imperial War Museum, Lambeth, has 'From War to Windrush' on show at the moment:

http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/conEvent.2377

"To mark the sixtieth anniversary of the arrival of the MV Empire Windrush in Britain in 1948, this exhibition will tell the personal stories of the involvement of Black men and women from the West Indies and Britain in the First and Second World Wars."

The black contribution to Britain's freedom is often underestimated.

Mark12

Your PMs inbox is full! Could you please make some room in it. I wish to send you a PM.

CS

Member for

24 years 2 months

Scan of an old snapshot from my collection....At the left Jim Tallala, Spitfire pilot with 234 Sqn...anyone know details of his wartime career?

Chumpy.