TSR2... What name would it have been given?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

If she had been given the go ahead... :confused:

I've never seen any mention of what she might have been called if she had been put into production. Where there any put forward?

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

I believe 'Eagle' was the most likely - there was an emerging 'birds of prey' theme for naming fast jets at this time (Harrier, Kestrel, slightly later Hawk) and this was considered the front runner. 'Trenchard' had also been mooted.

Member for

18 years

There was a thread on this a while ago, and the general consensus was that TSR-2 would probably have been Eagle, P1154 Harrier and F-111K Merlin.
In similar vein, were any names kicked around for the HS681, seeing as serials were allocated? (XT261 to XT266). And were any serials allocated for P1154?

Member for

16 years 7 months

Shades of the aircraft names thread here.

Eagle dosen't fit well at all, the Harrier and Kestrel were very strong VSTOL fighter relations and the Hawk a trainer, all were HS designs and could be argued as not being fast jets.
There really dosen't seem to be much of a common naming policy at the time, with Lightning and Phantom (fighters) and Canberra, Buccaneer and Jaguar (Strike) all about at the planned service time.
If it was to follow suit at all it would have been named after a city of the UK (or ex Commonwealth), but which one would have suited?
If I had to guess I would have said that it would have picked up the wind theme again - like the Tornado did.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Eagle dosen't fit well at all, the Harrier and Kestrel were very strong VSTOL fighter relations and the Hawk a trainer, all were HS designs and could be argued as not being fast jets.
There really dosen't seem to be much of a common naming policy at the time, with Lightning and Phantom (fighters) and Canberra, Buccaneer and Jaguar (Strike) all about at the planned service time.
If it was to follow suit at all it would have been named after a city of the UK (or ex Commonwealth), but which one would have suited?
If I had to guess I would have said that it would have picked up the wind theme again - like the Tornado did.

As I said in the Names thread, the policy changed!

Eagle actually may not have been the chosen name - this thread reveals a lot!!

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15271.0.html

Member for

18 years 1 month

But I don't think the Gusty GR1 would have instilled fear in our enemies! :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 9 months

There was a thread on this a while ago, and the general consensus was that TSR-2 would probably have been Eagle, P1154 Harrier and F-111K Merlin.
In similar vein, were any names kicked around for the HS681, seeing as serials were allocated? (XT261 to XT266). And were any serials allocated for P1154?

I've not seen serials for P1154, but the favoured name was 'Harrier'

Member for

16 years 7 months

The naming policy may have changed over the years Dave, but a coherent one seems to have been non existant by the late '60s

Member for

19 years 3 months

How about Swordfish II?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Like the Canberra, I think they were hoping for Australian sales. So the BAC Bundaberg? BAC Bunbury? :p

Member for

16 years 7 months

Wellington II ? (New Zealand, but I guess not wind related?)

I'm sure I read somewhere that "Excalibur" was touted as well? maybe thats just part of the TSR-2 myth !

Member for

20 years 6 months

Wellington II ? (New Zealand, but I guess not wind related?)

Not been there then? It's not called windy Wellington for nothing!

Member for

24 years 2 months

For the cynic's - 'Unservicable'

For the supporters -'Vanquish'

Member for

17 years 2 months

I do like the name "Bunbury" suggested by JDK, reminds me of the importance of being earnest.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Elephant (plus Blanc for european exports).:rolleyes:

John

Member for

16 years 1 month

How about BAC Swan

Member for

18 years 10 months

In keeping with the elements: Tempest, Tornado, Typhoon or Cyclone. Bird: Eagle or Hawk. Here's an idea, had the project ever been resurrected at a later date then how about, TSR2? The title may just have been a project title Tactical Strike Reconnaisance 2, but it has become so attached to the aircraft that I don't think it could be called anything else.

Member for

20 years

Something to give a pain in the a%$e for the enemy; how about TaSeR 2?

Member for

16 years 7 months

In keeping with the elements: Tempest, Tornado, Typhoon or Cyclone. Bird: Eagle or Hawk. Here's an idea, had the project ever been resurrected at a later date then how about, TSR2? The title may just have been a project title Tactical Strike Reconnaisance 2, but it has become so attached to the aircraft that I don't think it could be called anything else.

I can't imagine the VC-10 known as anything else so you have a point. U2 & F-111 as well to follow our transatlantic cousins...

Member for

19 years 9 months

The naming policy may have changed over the years Dave, but a coherent one seems to have been non existant by the late '60s

Yep! The 'naming' of the VC10 confirms that!! It seems to have been the manufacturer gave a list of possibilities, then the Air Staff decided on which one they liked.

US Names were adopted for NATO commonality and multi-national projects needed names that were easily translatable.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Tactical Strike Reconnaisance 2, but it has become so attached to the aircraft that I don't think it could be called anything else.

On the contrary, we all knew one project as the MRCA for many years. Only near entry into service did it become Tornado.

Moggy