Bandits at 12 O'clock

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

Just taken delivery of one of the "commando" picture library republications, "12 of the best air-combat commando books ever" - straight back to my youth, its even on the same "quality" paper, non of that shiny rubbish.

thats the afternoon taken care of - and something else to lure Junior with when he has a read. superb artwork, panel by panel ink drawn, OK, maybe a little inaccurate for the purists - but this is aviation heaven and a link back in time.

I used to buy them second hand from "Ned Scrumpo's Emporium Of Goodies" - then go back next week and swap them out. what a memory.....:D

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent, and technically almost without fault. Then there were others...

Member for

16 years 7 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent, and technically almost without fault. Then there were others...

fair mixture in here - "mein gott" "zum tuefel"......... £10 well spent !:D

Member for

18 years 6 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent.......

One of the former !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This luckily survived in my Folks Garage, long after I'd left & married

Re-united in the mid-nineties with it's original owner ;) who'd bought it as a young lad, back in 1974

Well, seeing as I never snagged the 'Frog' Whitley at the time, this had to make do :D !!!!!!!!

Attachments

Member for

17 years 2 months

I too have fond memories of the Commando comics, exciting as a boy to read the stories in them.

I remember reading about the Mynarski Lancaster in commando- wonder what one that was?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Blimey, I've not read Commando since I was about 13!

Might need to get hold of this, as I only used to buy the ones that had aircraft in! :o

Member for

16 years 7 months

One of the former !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, seeing as I never snagged the 'Frog' Whitley at the time, this had to make do :D !!!!!!!!

Nice to see the Whitley is its lesser known "Close Air Support Role":D

They are a time warp back, yes you can nit pick (see above!) but they are part and parcel of how I got into my interest in all things aircraft related.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Nice thread!

I remember saving up my pocket money as kid in the 70's so that I could buy a few during the school holidays. Loved the artwork and stories then - still do!

I still have all the old ones - plus a few 'new' ones besides. I've been collecting all those I can find with Whirlwinds in them. Here are a couple, including one from Commando.

Enjoy!

Paul

PS Does anyone know of any others?

Attachments

Member for

15 years 7 months

I have to say my favourite was the Japanese ground troops' inevitable cry when they were being strafed......

"AIIEEE!! I DIE!"

Member for

16 years 7 months

Nice thread!

My son has one of the earlier ones, "all guns blazing" it has a story "fire over england" about a Whirlwind squadron who face rocket firing U-boats that attack the chain home stations.

and when I say my son has it, its mine I just keep it in his room to keep Mrs BSG happy....:rolleyes:

Member for

16 years 1 month

Thanks BSG, I managed to get a copy of this one back in Sep. from that well known auction site!

Member for

16 years 7 months

Thanks BSG, I managed to get a copy of this one back in Sep. from that well known auction site!

nice artwork and quite accurate to in that one - some were daft to look at now, I have a vivid memory of a comic where a JU-52 was fitted with cannon from a crashed Stuka in Russia and used to whip around battlefields taking out the "Ivan" tanks. "Himmel, one more to us!"

Member for

19 years 10 months

Battler Britton ( remember him anyone ) flew Whirlwinds in one of his stories. Had it as a kid, possibly still residing in my mothers attic !!!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Wasn't there one about a Horsa as well? :confused:

Member for

15 years 10 months

Oh gawd, looks like I've another item to add to "zee list" for Xmas:D

Used to get Air Ace, Battle & Commando books, & oddly enough I do remember one featuring a Horas glider, think an expedition into the loft is in order to see if I've still got any of these fine old books left.

Member for

16 years 7 months

The Whitley Commando cover was drawn by the great Ian Kennedy. He's now semi retired but still draws a number of the current Commando covers although not sadly any complete stories any longer.
I managed to pick up some of the Air Ace issues in nearly mint condition a couple of months ago & one of them was indeed a "Battler Britton" story where he flew Whirlwinds, in another it was Marauder's. I think he probably had more types in his log book than "Winkle" Brown.
I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I will "fish" out the aforementioned Air Ace & scan the cover.
Another great Commando Aviation artist is the Argentinian Jose Maria Jorge, on a par with Kennedy for detail & accuracy.

Member for

24 years 2 months

A couple of the Commando artists were excellent

One of my favourite artists was Ian Kennedy...

...and I do believe this is one of his covers?.....

EDIT
D'Oh, missed Sage The Owl's post...

I wish I could find a book with his artwork - I've been looking through all the 'omnibus' editions which seem to be littering my local Borders recently...

Member for

15 years 11 months

This one maybe
http://www.commandocomics.co.uk/2626.html

No, it was definitely a Horsa I remember. Was draw from the aft/port side and I think a Stuka was attacking it in the picture.:confused:

Member for

16 years 7 months

No, it was definitely a Horsa I remember. Was draw from the aft/port side and I think a Stuka was attacking it in the picture.:confused:

in "the dirty dozen" one of the earlier compilations it has "glider ace" about a Horsa pilot - no Stuka though :confused: