Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandits at 12 O'clock

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornchurch
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2005

'
    Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
    Nice one Hornchurch!!!!!!!!!!!
    '

Blimey, yet another Two-year lapse from this thread; thanks for the wake-up call Hindenburg

Right, as Sage said earlier "post away"..... (cheers mate).

These group of FIVE also come from my same original batch of early 1970's mag's that survived from my childhood & storage in the loft, garage & numerous subsequent house moves.... & contributed to my lifelong obsession with Wellingtons, Whitleys, Marauders & the like

I posted other 'gems' that survived on posts 4, 71 & 92 & accidentally scanned them again today (early onset Alzheimers), till I re-read the thread & found I'd already posted 'em..... "The Savage Sky" (B.17's/He.177's) & "Yellow For Courage" (A.W. Whitleys).

Anyways, five of my very very nearest & dearest, hence their survival.....

Paul/P.7063 speaks of the Whirlwind mags which co-incidentally, meant loads to me at the time (Airfix Whirlwind at fault ) so here's my two 'survivors' which he mentioned earlier....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hornchurch's img828 magz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	3633288

The cover is evocative, the artwork ok, but INSIDE, this one is better.....

Name:	Hornchurch's img829 magz.jpg
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	3633289

This next one I like, coz the artwork inside is great & the artist definately caught the 39 Sqdn 'short-span' Marauder lines superbly
    (not that I woulda known that at the time as a ten-year-old )

Also, it's different & I've seen no reference towards it before now....

Name:	Hornchurch's img835 magz.jpg
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	3633290

Right, this next one got me into a li'l trouble, coz I took it to St.Goar on the River Rhien in Germany at the hotel our school-visit was staying in.....

Well, I went down to breakfast & when I came back up, my bedroom was spotless (the maids) ~ but they'd obviously taken umbridge to the cover of my mag', coz it was face-down (rear-up) when I returned..... oops

Same week some German guy (in his 50's/60's) on the crazy Golf wanted to use one of his Golf-club's on my 10 year old English nugget :diablo:

Given the state of his boat-race, he DID NOT like us English much....
    (bleedin Wellingtons/Halifaxes eh ?)

Name:	Hornchurch's img834 magz.jpg
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	3633291

Finally, I'd say beyond doubt that THIS particular 'Battle Picture Library' innocuously called "Fighter Fighter" was THE best ever & most realistic story/tale I that ever encountered within my years on reading these kinda mags (I'd stopped buying them by 1975 onwards....)

Certainly left a HUGE impression on me this one...... (despite it's bland cover; the artwork inside was top-grade !)

Name:	Hornchurch's img838 magz.jpg
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	3633292

The story centres around a Wellington crew that are sent out with their Wimpy equipped with Mandrel

I'd advise ANYONE who's into this type/genre of comics to hunt this one down (it's bound to've been reprinted, as the original/previous issue was first published in February 1961 & this 1974 version was the reprint.

Here's some of the fine artwork ~ any objections (publishers) = just say so & I'll "pull the plug" on the interior mag shots....

Name:	Hornchurch's img837 magz.jpg
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	3633293

Name:	Hornchurch's img836 magz.jpg
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	3633294

A poignant story & easily the best 'Commando' type comic I'd ever read

Probably coz of this mag (plus my old Airfix 1/72 Wimpy's) = that in recent years I went out hoovering-up as many Trumpter 1/48th Wellingtons as I could find ~ a far cry from these classic ol' comics.

Comment

• pfP7063
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Feb 2008

Thanks for sharing these Hornchurch.

I also still have my copy of 'The Sand-Devils'. The first mag of this genre that I bought as a kid was 'Battle Scarred'. Sadly it shows the ravages of time and is missing its cover and became a colouring book of sorts! I managed to replace it last year from that well known and often useful website.

Paul
      'Do Right Fear Naught'
      http://whirlwindfighterproject.webs.com/

Comment

• Sage the Owl
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2007

Time to resurrect this thread as there are going to be another 4 Commando reprint collections being published August 15 2013, six stories in each.

Name:	commando+4s.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	3644473

Comment

• pfP7063
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Feb 2008

Thanks for the heads up Sage the Owl.

If anyone out there is interested I think that I now have the definitive list of stories that feature the Westland Whirlwind. Please let me know and I'll send a PM and/or post it here.

Paul
          'Do Right Fear Naught'
          http://whirlwindfighterproject.webs.com/

Comment

• Sage the Owl
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2007

Paul, I would be interested to see the Whirlwind list, post away.

Comment

• BSG-75
              So say we all.....
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by pfP7063 View Post
              Thanks for the heads up Sage the Owl.

If anyone out there is interested I think that I now have the definitive list of stories that feature the Westland Whirlwind. Please let me know and I'll send a PM and/or post it here.

Paul
              I would love to see that list Paul, please post it of you can.
              You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

Comment

• Scramble Bill
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2003

I am another who used to buy and thoroughly enjoy these many years ago, I must have had getting on for a hundred, wish I still had them....I used to go for certain artists rather than the actual stories, the art was superb in my opinion. there was one I had, one of the first I purchased I think, either Air Ace picture library. or War..P L, titled, 'The knockout punch', something about a feud between an Englishman and a German, begun pre-war in the boxing ring and continuing into ww11. the cover depicted Beauforts? diving on German anti aircraft sight. I would love to see this again?..

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Scramble Bill View Post
                  there was one I had, one of the first I purchased I think, either Air Ace picture library. or War..P L, titled, 'The knockout punch', something about a feud between an Englishman and a German, begun pre-war in the boxing ring and continuing into ww11. the cover depicted Beauforts? diving on German anti aircraft sight. I would love to see this again?..
                  Is this the one ? it's a Hampden rather than a Beaufort and you can read the complete story on line here.

http://pocketwarcomics.blogspot.co.u...-knockout.html

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	3645215
                  Last edited by Sage the Owl; 4th July 2013, 12:44.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Sage the Owl View Post
                    Is this the one ? it's a Hampden rather than a Beaufort and you can read the complete story on line here.

http://pocketwarcomics.blogspot.co.u...-knockout.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218428[/ATTACH]
                    Hi there,
                    Yes Scramble Bill your right about the Beauforts no Hampdens in that story Sorry sage the Owl a little error I feel not to worry though we all make them me most of all just ask the wife

Geoff.
                    Last edited by 1batfastard; 4th July 2013, 14:35.

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2007

Just finished reading this and we were both wrong, its actually Battle's, Marylands & Baltimores, with assorted other types thrown in for good measure, although I still think the cover looks like a Hampden.
                      One thing you can say for these types of comics, there's certainly no "Spitfire snobbery" within their pages, all types of aircraft get their time in the spotlight.

Comment

• 1batfastard
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2013

Sage the Owl,
                        See I told you I make mistakes I should have indicated that it was the cover I was referring to but you are quite right about them yank aircraft,as for the Hampden look at the tail, different tail section ,single rudder as opposed to twin but you are correct similar profile from head on.

Geoff.

Comment

• Scramble Bill
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Sep 2003

that's the one!....what a strange feeling seeing that cover after all these years......must go to sight and re-read, wonder if any of mine still exist Another one I had was a 'holiday special', four stories / mags in one...thicker cover, depicting ME262's .
                          Another I saw lying on a very muddy creek bed at the coast.....rescued it!....yep superb cover depicting P38's....just had to be done.

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2007

I had the Air ace holiday special with the 262 on the cover as well, I always looked forward to the school summer holidays as my parents would usually buy me a couple of these to read during car journeys on days out.
                            There's a copy for sale on "evil bay" at the moment but a bit pricey for its condition.

Comment

• NIGHTFIGHTER
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jul 2011

Wonderful thread guys, I was a big Air Ace fan, like many on here have said it was my weekly treat. I did have one that sticks out in my mind mainly because it was very strange, every second page was in full colour which for that time i found incredable. I then got into Warlord, Speed and Power, and Battle which had in it a story called " Lofty's One Man Luftwaffe" about a RAF pilot who infiltrates a Luftwaffe fighter unit.....Oh how the years are turned back.

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Aug 2007

Head's up guy's, "The sand devil's" has been republished this week, it's the last Commando with full interior art by Ian Kennedy, and in what I believe to be a first for DC Thompson, they've commissioned him to paint new cover art, making the whole issue a fine example of his work, a real classic!

Name:	Commando4621.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	3645564

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by pfP7063 View Post
                                  Oops - my bad. It should have been WPL #1629, nice catch.

I'll try and upload a scan of the cover later today. Photobucket doesn't want to load at the moment!

Ok here we go with the scan.

Paul
                                  Been a while since anything new on this thread but just came across this on "the bay" and illustrates pFP7063's point about this story being reprinted.

Name:	Air Ace 186.jpg
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	3657019

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                  X