The "Wot Plane" Thread. (Game rules in Post #1)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

The game rules:

A contributor posts a photograph of an aircraft to identify. Either use your own picture or be prepared to acknowledge its origin when finally identified (beware copyright).

The first forumite to identify the aircraft (confirmed by whoever posted the picture) gets the right to post the next one, and so on.

If he or she wishes to desist, "open house" is declared and anyone can post the next picture.

Only manned aircraft that have actually flown allowed, so no missiles/drones and no obscure unbuilt projects or flights of fancy.

A variant is to post a relatively well-known type but to ask a question as to when, where, why or who is in it.

Timing: in order not to block the thread for too long, if there is no sign of an answer or a guess within 48 hours, the poster should offer a clue. If nothing within another 24 hours, a second clue. 24 hours later the answer should be given and a new "wot plane" posted, this time as "open house".

"Open house" automatically takes effect if the one with the right to post the next picture fails to do so 48 hours after confirmation by the previous poster.

Ok, here's the idea. The first one to ID each aircraft (confirmed by whoever posted the picture) gets the right to post the next one, and so on. Only manned aircraft that have actually flown since 1939, so no missiles/drones and no obscure unbuilt projects or flights of fancy. Anyone up for it? Incidentally, this was originally an idea by Joglo on another forum. I'll kick off with this one-

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r363/Unclestavely/Key1.jpg

Original post

Member for

15 years 6 months

:D I see you've upped the ante, Mr C, this now covers almost 70 years.:eek:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Morning, Jose. Yer, didn't want to get bogged down in 1939 east European one-offs. :)

Member for

15 years 6 months

:D Only because we've already covered most of them.

I'm off to the ITV station, MOT to you, so won't be scouring tinteweb until later, by which time someone should have IDd your submission.

NB: If you post something we've had before, I promise not to cheat.:diablo:

Member for

18 years 7 months

No takers? :( OK, a few clues, just in case anyone is interested. It's a one-off first flown in 1950, and lost out to what became a classic Cessna type.

Member for

15 years 6 months

And we wondered why so few people were interested in Wot Plane at the other place? :(

It might be a good idea to start again, with something more interesting to whet the appetites of the many resident experts here?

Something like this?
http://i37.tinypic.com/8vq9tw.jpg

I know it's an easy one, you IDd it within a few minutes when it was first posted in July.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Spitfire Vb serial EN830 fitted with a DB 601 engine.

Brian.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Near enough, pimpernel!:D

So what have you got to challenge our sluggish brains and can you ID the original pic in Mr C's post?

Member for

20 years

The "Wot Plane" thread.

Wot no pics? Come on Pimpernel...we're waiting...:D

Member for

18 years 7 months

Surprised that after nearly 500 views no one has yet identified the first picture. It was designed by John W Thorp to compete for a major US Army contract, but was withdrawn after the sole example lost its tail on a test flight and was badly damaged. The large perspex area to the rear is a dead giveaway as to its intended role.

Member for

16 years 8 months

The RHS.45 Glasshouse Volant? Apparently a hush-hush one off produced in collaboration with Vickers at the other Wisley!

Member for

19 years 6 months

The RHS.45 Glasshouse Volant?

I have just tryd to google this and got nothing at all.

It's a one-off first flown in 1950, and lost out to what became a classic Cessna type
major US Army contract
The large perspex area to the rear is a dead giveaway as to its intended role

Was it up against the Bird Dog ?

Member for

19 years 2 months

I certainly has the appearance of a Hispano 1109/1112.

This one should be nice and easy.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 10 months

The large perspex area to the rear is a dead giveaway as to its intended role

Growing Orchids?:D

Member for

20 years 8 months

I certainly has the appearance of a Hispano 1109/1112.

This one should be nice and easy.

Nord 1102 - which I think used to be based at Prestwick?

Member for

18 years 7 months

That just leaves the first photo, and I think someone will get that soon (Benyboy is on the right track) Maybe we should keep it to one "live" challenge at a time, otherwise it could get a bit confusing (if it isn't already :))

Member for

16 years 8 months

[QUOTE=benyboy;1316056]The RHS.45 Glasshouse Volant?

I have just tryd to google this and got nothing at all.
/QUOTE]

Try googling RHS Wisley!

Member for

15 years 6 months

I'll have to put everyone out of their misery, it's a Fletcher FL-23.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Right now I haven't got any new ones archived, I'm sure you'll remember this one from the other place, maybe someone else can ID it while I try to find something you haven't seen.:cool:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2yx0nwh.jpg

It's an advanced trainer of the 40s, not from Europe, Japan, Australasia or the USA.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Yep, Nord Noralpha, photographed at the Islay Airport Open Day last year.