T-6 Harvard/Texan factory drawings for sale - source?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

On Ebay I found a very interesting set of digitised T-6 Harvard/Texan engineering drawings for sale. Unfortunately, the seller is a well-known pirate and I do not wish to deal with him.

Does anyone know who is the legitimate seller of these drawings? I am very interested in them.

Many thanks,

Ronnie

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

Hi Ronnie,

I would suspect that the drawings would have been on microfilm from the Smithsonian and then scanned and put on CD or DVD. I would ask the seller to send a sample drawing to check the scanning quality as some of the P-51 ones I have seen are very poor and you cant read a lot of the dimensions.

Hope this helps

Ken

Member for

20 years 1 month

Spotted those myself Ronnie - think the chap is a Kiwi.

Dont have much that can help save for a full set of manuals... does this mean you're going to do a 3D Harvard/T-6/SNJ model...if so we should have a chat -
nice pic of Texan Tomcat in ground attack mode, SNEB pods, 7.7mm gunpacks - we have reference material....:cool:

http://www.beechrestorations.com/texantomcat.php

you could also try NATA - Stoney might be able to help

http://www.northamericantrainer.org/index2.htm

ATB

TT

Member for

20 years 5 months

...Unfortunately, the seller is a well-known pirate and I do not wish to deal with him.....

What makes you call him a pirate?? (Careful now...!)

Just curious, as I have no idea where the original drawings come from...

N

Member for

19 years 5 months

I would ask the seller to send a sample drawing to check the scanning quality as some of the P-51 ones I have seen are very poor and you cant read a lot of the dimensions.
I actually have the P-51 set as originally scanned for FlugWerk, Germany. They aren't perfect, I will admit. The scanning was done in 1-bit as greyscale didn't prove doable for 17,000 items. A greyscale 10,000 pixel image is VERY big. As a result some drawings didn't come through that well (in particular the P-51H roll). Also there is some warping, but this was on the microfilm itself. However I've heard the set sold by the pirate has been translated to PDF and is much worse. Not sure which one you got. Thanks for the warning in any case!

think the chap is a Kiwi.
No, this one's Canadian (and then some, as there are a dozen different aliases for this organisation).

Dont have much that can help save for a full set of manuals... does this mean you're going to do a 3D Harvard/T-6/SNJ model...if so we should have a chat
Thanks for your offer to help. I'm a big fan of North American Aviation aircraft and as you know I've already done the Mustang and NAA-57 (and Sk.14). I'll tackle the B-25 next year. The T-6 series is definitely on the to-do list though, but unless commissioned I don't expect to get to it anytime too soon.

nice pic of Texan Tomcat in ground attack mode, SNEB pods, 7.7mm gunpacks
Sounds good! I really like the Korean War "Mosquitos" myself.

What makes you call him a pirate?? (Careful now...!)
Well it's quite a story and not one I wish to type out in full here :)
To give a quick example, the P-51 set that's being sold was originally digitised for Claus Colling of FlugWerk (I bought them directly from Claus), who now sells them through Peter Ewbank in NZ. This other company however threw some manuals in the mix ("borrowed" from various sources) and claimed it their own...
Also this pirate has recently claimed copyrights on tons of items they're selling, including NAA, Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt and Rolls-Royce documents. Absolute lunacy but Ebay is buying it apparently, as they're still in business. I'll drop you a PM with some links, so you can have a giggle. Apparently James Kindelberger, Kurt Tank, Willy Messerschmitt and Frederick Royce all live in Canada nowadays!!

Member for

18 years 3 months

Drawings

I too have bought those drawings ,in good faith months ago, the usual
spitfire and He162 instrument Panel drawings ,some are really good, and other are very hard to distinguish,

I was thinking of making a set up with a laser cutter(local friendly firm)

and also I am unsure regarding the HE 162 "Volksjager" Panel,

I have been told these panels were originally made out of wood, due to shortages in material late in the war , Can anyone coroberate this story ??

:confused:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, a lot of the late war German panels were wooden, including He162, Me262, Late 109 and lots of others. Usually extensively machined at the rear.

Bruce

Member for

15 years 9 months

I was thinking of making a set up with a laser cutter(local friendly firm)

:confused:

I think you mean a Plasma cutter, there`s no such thing as a lazer cutter. Unless there`s one on a rebel X-Wing fighter.

Member for

18 years 3 months

cutter

I think you mean a Plasma cutter, there`s no such thing as a lazer cutter. Unless there`s one on a rebel X-Wing fighter.

well if i have it wrong ,so does the firm thats been doing it many years,
they call it a Laser cutting machine, and i am just calling it , what it says on the tin so to speak

heres there link to there website, "Laser Cutting" ,

http://www.amagengineering.co.uk/

Oh and it is laser ,not "LaZer" :D