Lanc and the 12,000lb bomb

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I read a brief bit of info about a Lancaster dropping a 12,000lb bomb onto a German battleship in World War 2.

Is this true?? If it is where could I read more about it as it seem fasnating a plane can drop a bomb that size onto a target when they didnt have the tech we do today.

Thanks Kelly

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Lanc and the 12,000lb bomb

I think you are refering to the attack on the Tirpitz in Tromso Fiord. This happened on the 12th of November 1944 in a combined operation of Nos.9 and 617 Squadron. I believe from memory that the 'Tallboy' bomb went in alongside her which caused her to 'turn turtle' into the trough opened up below her.

Member for

24 years 3 months

hi
Paul Brickhill's book, The Dam Busters, ISBN 0-330-37644-6, has loads of info on the tallboy as well as 'Grand Slam' and 'Blockbuster'its a DAM (pardon the pun) good read!!
:-)

Member for

24 years 3 months

i think that was the one where they flew from somewhere up in russia like murmansk

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

there were a number of missions carried out by 9 and 617 sqrn involving the converted aircraft to carry the tallboy and later on the grandslam weapons. the tallboys were also used with some effect to breach canals in france and the low countries to hinder barge traffic. grandslams were used on Uboat pens on the coast of france and V weapon factories further inland. the grandslam was able to penetrate roughly 15 feet of hardened concrete if I rememeber. this was achieved by dropping from a great height and having the weapon spin stabilized in the fall from appropriatly positioned tail fins. these weapons were also used to attack viaducts/aquaducts(cant remember which) in italy by dropping them at the base of the middle piles. Many missions extended to stop overs in russia- as with the ploesti oil field missions. The aircraft were going to be used in operation Tiger in the far east, had the war not ended when it did.
Lincolns were also slated for this mission

coanda