Duxford car parking question

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Really a question directed at Ashley, but if anyone else can help on this I'd greatly appreciate it...

I'm going to Duxford on Sunday, but approaching from the north as I do, I'm likely to be directed onto the field at the back of the Officers Mess. Usually that's not a problem, but as I'll have little'un with me (and all his assorted parafernalia!), I'd prefer to be able to park south of the A505, either near Hangar 1 or the AAM, so that the car is accessible during the day, and Haydn can have a kip in the car if he needs to.

Could someone please advise whether I'm able to do that if I stick to my normal approach, or whether I've got to approach from a different direction? Thanks in advance...

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Duxford car parking question

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-05-02 AT 09:31 AM (GMT)]OK, there is no way to turn into the airfield from the west on the A505 - it's coned off, and you always get punted into the Mess-side parking. Your best bet is to go down a junction on the M11 (London side) and come back up. They filter the traffic off the M11 from the south, straight into the Hangar 1 parking zone. However this does not work for taking a junction further *up* the M11 (from the north) as you come off the motorway onto the roundabout, and are therefore filtered to the Mess-side zone again. Hope that makes sense!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks - figured that might be the case. Am I able to get onto the M11 at junction 9 northbound, or is it an exit only for the A11? If so, it looks like I'll have to go down to Stansted and then come back up.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Or if I come in from Royston, will I get directed to the Officers Mess or the Land Warfare Hall?

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-05-02 AT 10:25 AM (GMT)]Take a look at my reply to a post at the bottom of page 21 in the archive section on this very subject. I am pretty sure the information still holds true regarding approching Duxford from the east on the A505 but perhaps a call to the "Boys in Blue" might confirm this. Cambrideshire Police HQ numer is 01233 358966. Otherwise I'm afraid its down to M11 junction 8 at Stansted and turn around to 99% guarantee being parked on Duxford itself.
Bear in mind there are some roadworks going on at J8 at the moment, it is also a bank Holiday weekend and the Duxford crowd will probably be bigger than usual for the first show of the season due to the fact that Mildenhall is off. Looks like an early start for you old son !
Regards, Phil.A.
Correct Steve, J9 northbound is exit M11 only.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cheers Phil. The annoying thing about it is that I'm only coming from St Ives, 20 miles up the road! Looks like it'll be a 50 mile journey. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-05-02 AT 09:40 PM (GMT)]Well here's hoping you see this before you leave in the morning!

My advice would be the come off the M11 at J11 and join the A10 and cut across to the A505 that way so you approach Duxford from the west...of course this doesn't guarantee you WON'T end up on the Officers' Mess side, but hopefully you won't! ;)

P.S. Sorry for not replying sooner, I couldn't get into the board all day yesterday and now is the first chance to get on the computer all day!