Tempest

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is there any news on the Tempest restoration? It will be worth the wait. I would guess getting the pilot onto the type will take some time. Which a/c would they most likely convert from?

And any more news on the museum at Wickenby?

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sadsack... no change with the Tempest yet... Still waiting for the engine to come back from the states. But I understand that they have started working on it!!! As for a Pilot... I understand that one of the well known 'warbird' pilots is already lined up to fly it!!!!

As for the museum at Wickenby... The planning are due to respond by the end of the month. After then, it shouldn't take too long before things start moving!

Member for

24 years 3 months

re

soon as they need volunteers I'm heading there!

Member for

18 years 2 months

soon as they need volunteers I'm heading there!

I'll keep you informed!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Even allowing for the poor quality of recording equipment at the time that ios a very distinctive sound, noway you could mistake it for anything else. I fear the example we're referring to will be Centaurus powered though

Member for

16 years 11 months

bare with me on this one, But i was under the impression that the project is waiting for its sabre engine, im sure this has been mentioned before (the colossal cost involved) though im not entirely sure :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ooh, don't make me drool all over my keyboard. You certainly wouldn't mistake the sound of a Sabre for a Merlin, Griffon or Daimler-Benz.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Bug9er, i could have sworn that someone mentioned it was a sabre engined example, really not my week.

having looked and found what i was looking for

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73353&highlight=tempest

just realised i didnt read the whole thread, just the last part about a sabre rebuild, though it would be amazing to see a sabre engine flying again :D

Member for

18 years 6 months

Me too..... here's as good excuse as any to get her back to flying...Have a listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKq51LdJ-ZU&NR=1

Aural sex.....!:D

That is a good video clip.

My apologies for digressing from the topic, but does anyone know if other recognition training videos such as this exist, particularly for captured Luftwaffe types? This is a good quality recording for the time. Given the time involved in restoring Luftwaffe aircraft, films such as these may be the only way to experience these types in action for years to come. It would be very interesting if training films exist for a Stuka or Fw190D, Ju88, etc.

Member for

20 years 8 months

That is a good video clip.

My apologies for digressing from the topic, but does anyone know if other recognition training videos such as this exist, particularly for captured Luftwaffe types? This is a good quality recording for the time. Given the time involved in restoring Luftwaffe aircraft, films such as these may be the only way to experience these types in action for years to come. It would be very interesting if training films exist for a Stuka or Fw190D, Ju88, etc.

That's spoilt my day. I was really hoping that it was a Tempest V rather than a II but I suppose beggers can't be choosers. Would have been nice if it was a V. Having said that, I don't know where they would get an airworthy Sabre as there aren't that many around even as museum exhibits.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I thought that the Tempest V was buildt so other engines could be adapted into it rather than the less reliable Sabre. Guess I was wrong.

A V would be amazing but theres no one around really...