Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AP 1464 Pneumatic Brakes

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWB
    JWB
    Rank 2 Registered User

AP 1464 Pneumatic Brakes

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of Air Publication 1464 that deals with pneumatic brake systems?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • keithmac
    Rank 5 Registered User

Jim, Sorry if you already know this, but AP.1464 was not a single publication, it was a series of Publications covering everything from Aircraft to Marine craft and just about everything in between. The info on Pneumatic braking systems was contained in one of the volumes of AP.1464A (Airframes). Unfortunately I don't have a copy. It would of course contain only general, not aircraft type specific, information. If you are unsuccessful in getting a copy, you might be able to get the info you require in training notes from one of the training organisations such as AST.

Keith
    uk::

Comment

• JWB
      JWB
      Rank 2 Registered User

Thanks, Keith. I was not aware that it includes stuff other than aircraft. I am specifically looking for
      AP 1464 Volume I Part 5 Section 5 Chapter 7 and
      AP 1464 / D.68
      but would still like to obtain the whole volume relating to aircraft.

Jim

Comment

• keithmac
        Rank 5 Registered User

Hi Jim

From Memory
        1464C - Aero Engines
        1464F - Marine Craft
        1464G - Aircraft Ground Support Equipment

Many of the 1464 series were amoungst the many essential reading requirements if you were ever to get through the old (Pre 1970's) RAF engineering promotion exams! The problem you will find is that there was a major change in RAF technical examination procedures in the early 70's and the 1464 series which were already obsolete as engineering documents, were only retained for training purposes. The change rendered them completely obsolete, so they were withdrawn from the technical libraries and scrapped on mass. About the only place I could think, might have a copy would be the RAF Museum storage facility. They might for a fee allow it to be copied.

Keith

Comment

• alvampman
          Rank 5 Registered User

AP1464A = General principles workshop layout and practices
          AP1464B = General engineering
          AP1464C = Aero engines
          AP1464D = Aircraft

I have access to A,B & C but unfortunatly not to D

Alan

Comment

• Beaufighter VI
            Rank 5 Registered User

JWB
            You need to specify the equipment you are looking for as the Amendment lists changed the contents.
            " I'm not young enough to know everything." - J M Barrie 1903

Comment

• JWB
              JWB
              Rank 2 Registered User

Canadian Air Publication (CAP) #290 refers to AP 1464 Volume I Part 5 Section 5 Chapter 7 and does not specify a letter. I am looking for information on the pneumatic components for the Fairchild Bolingbroke.

I noticed in my copies of The Spitfire V Manual and The Hurricane II Manual (published by Greenhill Books) that they both refer to AP 1464B for the Dunlop brake system. In the above posts, 1464B is general engineering. Did AP 1464 start as one volume and grow over time to include everything else? Did it go through a major revision at some point when the WW2 vintage information would have been removed?

Jim

Comment

• keithmac
                Rank 5 Registered User

The RAF used a 6 Volume system for aircraft. However lots of equipment, ranging from Aero Engines to nuts, bolts and washers fell outside this system. Aero engines had their own publications. But things like magneto's, fuel pumps, Prop control units, brake units, radiators, oil coolers etc were covered by other publications like the 1464 series.

Dunlop Brake components were classified as "General Engineering Components" and would have been in the 1464 Series. They would of course be fitted to many different aircraft types.

To save the cost of printing the same information in each aircraft type publication, they cross-refered to the 1464.

After WW2 when aircraft began to become more complex, servicing errors were often caused by the information in the general AP being different to the information in the aircraft AP's. Some of the old hands still went back to the "Good old 1464" instead of using the aircraft specific information. As a result a lot of potentially conflicting information was removed from the 1464 series. The amendment procedure required you to remove and DESTROY the old information, so by the 1970's many of the surviving 1464 series contained little more than 2 covers!

I think it must have been around 1974/75 that the mass withdrawal of the 1464 series along with many other survivors from the WW2 era took place. That was when the Technical promotion system was changed and the need for the 1464 and its like finally disappeared.

These days there are virtually no "General" technical publications within the RAF, it is much less risky to have all the information contained within the aircraft publication and control and amendment is much easier.

Comment

• Nicko
                  Rank 5 Registered User

I know this is an old post but I'm looking for the Teleflex section of AP.1464D Part 2 Sect 2 Chap 3. (ALs circa late 40's, 50's to support Vampire FB.9.)

While I'm here, I thought I would post some of the pre-amble from one of the volumes so that some of the above discussion can be understood in detail. The AL that expands AP.1464 from two parts to seven parts is dated May 1944. It helpfully provides a cross-reference table for the old and new.

If any body has the entire 1464D ca. 1950's available as pdf, that would also be helpful. I have checked some eBay sellers but not found it yet.

Cheers.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	AP 1464.png Views:	1 Size:	182.9 KB ID:	3842475Click image for larger version  Name:	Teleflex.JPG Views:	1 Size:	143.8 KB ID:	3842476
                  Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes Walt Whitman
                  http://vhjet.com

Comment

• TerryP
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Nicko, see PM.

Comment

• Nicko
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks Terry - have replied.

Comment

• TerryP
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Nicko, file transferred.

Comment

• Nicko
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Got it!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X