Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stirling Project Update

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 12jaguar
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2007

many thanks to everyone who posted links to its sale. At 6000 it's a bit rich for our blood unfortunately; if you see any other Stirling related items please post them on here

thanks

John
    http://www.stirlingproject.co.uk

Comment

• trumper
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2003

Photos not showing up here

Comment

• 12jaguar
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Apr 2007

Not sure what's going on there Trumper. I've logged out and viewed it as an anonymous viewer and I can see them. Anyone else having any problems?

Comment

• Junk Collector
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2006

All I can see is small blank squares
          Officially now a pensioner

Comment

• adrian_gray
            Which idiot let HIM in?
            • Jan 2000

Same here - I'm on Firefox and have the same problem with Internet Exploder.

Adrian
            "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

• 12jaguar
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Apr 2007

Not sure what's going on here all, I don't normally have any problems on here

a bit more picture heavy update today which is perhaps an indication of just how chuffed we are to receive the coupe part from LK488 thanks to the generosity of NEAM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe centre section.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	990.9 KB
ID:	3846629Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe centre section 1.jpg
Size:	990.7 KB
ID:	3846630

Having this piece, means that we now have much of the information we need to produce the spine of the cockpit coupe, the only part missing is the very front fairing above the windscreens and we know that the one from BK710 exists in Holland and to which we have access if required. It's obvious that this section has been stored inside for many years as there's very little corrosion on the various parts and the trim control box is eminently restorable to working condition. Whilst some parts are missing we are fortunate that we have the original drawings for these; this has sparked some interest from my son Andy (who happens to be a CNC turner), so he's volunteered to strip this down and hopefully turn up the missing bits where needed.

Name:	20190112_095514.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	3846627

Whilst we were at it, we couldn't resist offering up the Pilots escape hatch restored recently to the coupe, and gain an inkling of a sight that hasn't been seen for over 70 years!

Name:	Hatch and trim Box 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	879.6 KB
ID:	3846628Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch and Trim Box.jpg
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	3846625

Kev our resident expert Chippy has fabricated a storage box for the windscreen so that it doesn't get damaged in the workshop.

Dave K has been rooting around our various spared holdings and has come across a 'T' handle used by Armourers to tension the bomb crutches. As we're currently stripping down a crutch from a crash to draw the parts up, this is a really nice find

Name:	Crutch T handle.jpg
Size:	728.8 KB
ID:	3846626
              Other than that, Cliff and I are still working on the rudder pedal footrests; no pics of latest progress as they're just the opposite hand to the one worked on previously, Graham has been been recreating the Autopilot steering lever assy, as we've been able to borrow one from Flixton museum as a pattern.

lots of positivity moving forward and hope to keep you informed and entertained throughout 2019

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• DH82EH
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2013

This works for me now.
                Great stuff!

Comment

• Versuch
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Sep 2010

Looking good as ever John.

Great to see the cooperation of others bringing about tangible results for all to enjoy.

Cheers Mike

Comment

• Thunderbird167
                    607 Squadron & NELSAM
                    • Sep 2005

Well who would have though that our little piece that has sat on a shelf for 35 years could help move things along.

Pleased to be able to help
                    Dave Charles
                    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron
                    Chair North East Land Sea Air Museums (NELSAM)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X