1649 Sold and Heading to Europe

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

Yesterday the three Lockheed 1649 Starlinners owned by Maine Airways were sold to Berlin-based foundation within Lufthansa's aviation group.

Two are based in Lewiston-Auburn Airport Aurburn Maine USA while the third is on display with Kermit Weeks FOF. The aircraft that is on display at Kermit's place is the Ex West German Air Force 1 aircraft.

They plan on flying at least one aircraft most likely the one at Kermit's since its the only one of the three that is airworthy, the other two have been robbed of parts to get this one airworthy and would need allot of work to get them close to a ferry permit and one of them has a main spar crack which rules it out from every being brought back to airworthy status.

The main problem the group face right now is how they are going to remove the two aircraft in Maine since both are covered in close to 30 inch's of snow.

But on the good side at least they won't be scrapped as many feared would happen.

Original post

Member for

16 years 4 months

WOW!! - that means there'll be more Connies flying in Europe than the 'states!

Member for

16 years 3 months

Here are some photo of the two located at Auburn Maine

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Member for

24 years 2 months

An interesting and unexpected development. I had the pleasure of flying on the Lufthansa Ju52 earlier this year - out of Tempelhof, and a great experience it was too. The aircraft is immaculate, and beautifully cared for.

If they intend to do the same with a Connie, it will be a fantastic treat!

Rob,

Thanks for the pics. Mr Roundy has done well to keep these aircraft from the smelter for so long. I hope the other two have a positive future - wherever they end up!

Bruce

Member for

24 years 2 months

The aircraft that is on display at Kermit's place is the Ex West German Air Force 1 aircraft.

The Starliner was never operated by any airforce. The Luftwaffe never operated any Connie variant.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Good news.
Historic planes should go where they're appreciated/wanted.

I don't think you'll see the government starting a lawsuit to stop it, unlike the Connie that the Museum of Flight bought and was the subject of a lawsuit in Canada.

Member for

16 years 3 months

The Starliner was never operated by any airforce. The Luftwaffe never operated any Connie variant.

Sorry to defirer with you but yes they did mind you the aircraft was operated by Lufthansa and maintained by them but it was the West German Airforce 1 when the aircraft was being used by the West German Chanceller it use that callsign.

I've been involved with all three of these aircraft for over 25 Years know the history of them like the back of my hand since I'm the person who did most of the research for Maine Airways. When we were getting N974R ready to be Ferried from Fort Lauderdale to Auburn we came across in the Flight Engineers mape box a West German Airforce F/E manual for Connnies it was stamp with both Lufthansa and WGAF logos.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Won by a knock-out!:diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Who cares as long as they come to Europe

Member for

19 years 5 months

No, the correct answer is "Who cares as long as they are saved!"

We have got to get over this silly "us vs them" mentality.

Once these (or any old/rare/historic) aircraft are scrapped, they're not coming back. Period.

For anyone upset about a plane crossing the Atlantic (in either direction) remember, the air is a two way street.
Somerthing sold today might be back later.
But if it goes to the scrapman, it's never coming back.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I think you will see at least the plane in Florida come over not sure about the two in Maine, there is still the deal that Maurcy had with Kermit about the bird there my guess and its only a guess is that Kermit might get Hotel and put it on display while the folks from Lufthansa will get all the airworthy parts off of it and then use it and Charlie has the spare's. Also one thing that isn't talked about is not only are there these three aircraft but the parts collection contain the mortal remains of the Fairbacks Airport Burn bird which includes a complete Tail section, outer wings panels, gear nose housing, two sets of mains, all four engine mounts. I don't recall what happen to the rest of the aircraft as I recall it had been pretty well burnt I do know that the nose is kicking around but I'm not sure if is still part of collection or not. Its been a very long time since I actually was in the storage building.

Member for

20 years

Has KW got another Connie then? is it airworthy? or is he letting his only example (albeit static) go?

TT

Member for

16 years 3 months

Has KW got another Connie then? is it airworthy? or is he letting his only example (albeit static) go?

TT

Hi TT,

No the aircraft that is on display at FOF is not owned by Kermit it is one of the three 1649 that was owned by Maine Airways. This aircraft is Ex-Kufthansa aircraft.

About 5 or 6 years ago when it was still sitting at Fort Lauderdale the airport decide to have Deadpin Alley clean up so Maine Airways had to move it the original idea was to fly her up to Maine but do to allot of things this was never going to happen so a deal was struck with Kermit. Which basically was Maine Airways would be allowed to display the 1649 at FOF and after five years Kermit could have an chance to purchase it if he wish.

Now I'm not sure what type deal if any that the folks who purchase the 1649 have/or going to work out with Kermit. I do know that as of about 3 weeks ago the engine were ran for about 10 minutes.

Member for

19 years

FOF Starliner - January 2007

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/aero101/0057.jpg

Member for

17 years 3 months

These are some photos I took of Lockheed L-1649A/F Starliner (N974R) at Fantasy of Flight in 2003.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/20031028FantasyOfFlight-LockheedL-1.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/20031028FantasyOfFlight-Lockheed-1.jpg

This one is part of a collection I have inherited, I am not sure who took it but on the back of the photo it says it is N974R ex Lufthansa D-ALAN taken at Sanford, Florida on 20th February 1993
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/29December200714-1.jpg

Slight conflicting information as there are two different colour schemes as you can see by the photos. If anyone can give me the correct info I'd appreciate it.

Richard

Member for

16 years 3 months

A lot of interesting info. in this newspaper report. Not sure how close Scorpion is to the action, but the betting is that only N7316C will migrate eastwards.

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/243999-3/LewistonAuburn/German_company_has_plan_to_save_Connies/#

Newforest.

Lets just say I'm rather close tot he action;) :D , As for 16Charlie, let me explain how bad she is if you go back up and look at the photos I posted, Charlie is the one with out the Left Side Engines, also the whole cockpit are has been stripped as has the FE station. Charlie also might have a spar crack also Hotel does that I know since I was the one who discovered it on a inspection some 10 Years ago we never really looked at Charlie because we were decide that 74R would be the best Flying aircraft.

I'm not sure what the new owners are going to do, other then get one flying. I'm happy to hear that they are going to rebuild it in Auburn its a very fitting to all of us who have been around them for the past 20+ Years. While I don't live in Maine anymore I do get back up there at least once a month. I plan on stopping by when they get the Hanger build.

Richard thanks for the photo of 74R in Sanford the paint scheme at the time was the Old Cargo Colors she had on. If you noted #2 is feather and the big Buffalo looking thing was either the Old Start Cart or the Fuel Car. If the photo is from Feb, of 93 then we were doing some maintance on her. The reason we ended up in Sanford was because we had a runway on #2 and and right side Bus Fire in the cockpit.

As for the Scheme on it now it was what it had on it towards the end of its Days with Lufthansa.