Member for

17 years 3 months

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17579

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17579

Blimey!!!!

When I saw this but 10 days ago-ish, it had only been unloaded in pieces the day before and now it's already running again!

I was however under the impression that like his one at DX, it does not have any kind of certification for flying status.
I could be wrong of course!!!

Nice collection of motor cars in their as well!!!!!

Bomberboy

Member for

18 years 1 month

I was however under the impression that like his one at DX, it does not have any kind of certification for flying status.

Why is it that restoration projects fly while a newly made F190 can't?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Because restorations are largely rebuilt to the drawings from which it originated. The Flug Werke aircraft have a number of deviations from the genuine article.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Mother of God! :eek:

I don't give a tiny toss whether it's replica, new build, whatever, but I seriously cannot wait to see THAT fly! The 190D-9 was always a childhood fave!! :D

Member for

16 years 4 months

I read somewhere that ACE got into trouble for modifying the Allison engine for the new D-9's- hope thats been resolved

Member for

19 years

Yeah, it looks great. Hopefully flying very soon.
Some closeup pics of the final colour scheme would be sweet too

Member for

20 years 9 months

Because restorations are largely rebuilt to the drawings from which it originated. The Flug Werke aircraft have a number of deviations from the genuine article.
I would put a finer point on it than that - its simply that a 'restoration' is defined as work to an original aircraft (however scant the original remains may be), a new build is just that, a new aircraft. If it is not an original aircraft it cannot be certified with a Permit to Fly in the UK, regardless of how close it is to the design of the original.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I understand that.
(BTW: In the US, you can rebuild any aircraft that has been given a Type certificate (that started in 1927) and as long as you built (or rebuild it) to those standars, you're clear to fly unter that certificate. If not, there is always the "experimental" label.)

But how could an original or rebuilt FW-190 (or Bf-109..or to stretch a point some of the MiGs that have appeared at airshows) fly in the UK?
Certainly its design/drawings was never "approved" by the CAA.

Member for

20 years 9 months

(BTW: In the US, you can rebuild any aircraft that has been given a Type certificate (that started in 1927) and as long as you built (rebuild it to those standars, you're clear to fly unter that certificate. If not, there is always the "experimental" label.)

This route allows you to register your warbird in the Limited catergory which imposes fewer limitations on operation of the type. For example you can fly IFR, at night etc (prohibited in the Experimental catergory). For an example the P-38 Lightning, P-51D and P-51C have all been through the certification process in the past, this gives rise to the curious situation of anyone with a P-51B registering their aircraft as a P-51C. I know they are the same aircraft, just built in different places, but it shows how onerous the route is without a previous certificate having been issued, its easier to just call it a C model!

But how could an original or rebuilt FW-190 (or Bf-109..or to stretch a point some of the MiGs that have appeared at airshows) fly in the UK?
Certainly its design/drawings was never "approved" by the CAA.
Such types could fly (and have flown) on a 'Permit to Fly', as I said in my earlier post, so long as they are they are 'original' re-built aircraft. The Permit system covers ex military aircraft and they do not have to have received a prior approval. Moreover this is why the permit system exists as such types as the Spitfire, Hurricane (and FW-190 for that matter) etc never had civil versions designed by the original manufacturer, so no existing civillian approval would be in place.

A new replica of any of these types would be much more difficult to get certification for as it is in effect a new type that has not seen military service and is not automatically eligable to apply for a PtF. This explains why most homebuilt type replica fighters are 70% or 80% the size of the original - this reduces the weight and brings them under the limit for PFA certification in the UK.

Member for

20 years 6 months

:) Sorry to bump up an old thread but i see 1 year later [from the start of this thread] she is back in the OFMC hangar with the Buchon again if anyone wants to see them.
I don't suppose there's any more news on her chances of ever flying over here,:o

Member for

20 years 7 months

:) Sorry to bump up an old thread but i see 1 year later [from the start of this thread] she is back in the OFMC hangar with the Buchon again if anyone wants to see them.
I don't suppose there's any more news on her chances of ever flying over here,:o

AFAIK, it's actually Tom Blair other FW 190A-9 (short-nose) also build by Flug Werk which is at Duxford. The D-9/N is still with Stallion 51 @ Kissimmee in Florida.

Member for

20 years 6 months

:o Whoops sorry,:o

My apologies,too many F/W 's in the world now :D