Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Significant Memorabilia

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 1931 Lasica flying helmet, including goggles and earpieces and tubes. Quite how this got over here from Australia is anyone's guess. I've tried many avenues and still haven't got an answer. It was found in a house loft near to Gatwick.
    All I can say is that the Lasica family don't know and that it definately wasn't brought over here by Nancy Bird Walton as she has recently confirmed it was not hers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Chadburn DSO/DFC

I have seen some amazing items, my forte is WW2 aircraft parts but the gem has to be original pilots notes from Lloyd Vernon Chadburn, Canadas finest squadron leader, sadly killed days after DDay, LVC was instrumental in getting his unit named the City of Oshawa squadron! thanks.
      Last edited by bolyman; 25th March 2009, 00:38.

Comment

Wow!

I'm in awe... I've nothing of any major significance nor size for that matter... minor trinkets really - my uncle's WWII RCAF survival and/or grooming mirror with blue leather slip-case, a set of his wings and a couple war-time aircraft recognition publications, as well as a MiG-21 armament panel and a cine-camera (16mm I believe) purportedly from a MiG-17. Space constrains aside, some day I'd like to acquire something substantial - for no sentimental reason whatsoever.
        Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is a war room!

Comment

I have the original Press Report from Headquarters Fighter Command advising that W/Cmdr Douglas Bader is missing from a recent daylight offensive over Northern France. I will post a pick when I get a minute. I have recently offered it to the RAF Museum at Hendon.

Comment

Pilots Licence

This is my second post but thought you might like it. My great aunts pilots licence, ground engineers licence and logbook, unfortunately WW2 put an end to her aviation career. First entry in logbook is 8/11/36 for 20 min in DH60 VH-UPU.
            Cheers Paul
            Last edited by ozjag; 29th September 2008, 15:58.
            Facebook: Aussie Cockpits

Comment

I've got a cannon port and some panels from a Jag T2 that was being scrapped round about the time I was demobed and a suspiciously WW1 looking leather flying helmet and goggles from a flea market in Thame 10 years ago
              Krlewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                I have the log book medals and various bits to F/Sgt Albert Oxley, the DFC and family archive of F/Lt Rolf Cardale Luck and the medals of F/O Douglas Cowan Moore. All purchased separately. The special bit? All were part of the same Catalina crew lost on a special duty op' in Burma Oct '44. (Still looking for the rest of the crew!)
                Stan,

Just new on this forum. I am looking into the Roll of Honour of my old school here in Kenya. Records are fairly Spartan, and so have ended up casting a much larger net, which now includes the secondary schools in Kenya pre-WWII. Rolf Cardale Luck is very much one of those. He is doubly interesting as he was also Kenya Regiment, a unit that my father was in, in Abyssinia before transferring to the King African Rifles with whom he went to Burma.

What was 'Operation Brown Owl' all about, and what do you know about his career?

Best regards,

Tom Lawrence

Comment

Dear Stan,

I am researching all the Kenyans who were killed in WWII, and Rolf Cardale Luck was one of the them. The reason is that I hate this thing of long lists of rolls of Honour -they say nothing for the guys and who they were and have lesst character than a telephone directory might. What I am trying to do is put a wee bit of colour on each person. Would you be happy to share any information about this man, his family in Kenya, and information on what the lead up to his death?

Many thanks,

Comment

The ailerons from CLA 4 G-EBPC.

Comment

My attestation docs and arrival docs for Swinditz plus my passing out photos, all of which I didn't know existed until clearing out my late mums house and all found she had saved them, strangely they mean more to me than the NI GSM medal I got, that lies in a drawer as just a useless bit of tin, I feel as an RAF bod in the safety of Aldergrove there were a lot more ( Army and aircrew) in more dire circumstances that earned that bit of tin more than I ever did..

My memories of those gone, past and present from my service career, men and women in their prime of life taken far to early, one of my old Squadron facebook sites these days I do not enjoy logging in as it often informs me of another one gone to early.

Comment

Kenya Pilot, I have sent Stan an email to let him know you are enquiring.

Comment

ww11 138 squadron log book, to a casualty sadly.

Comment

Probably the most interesting item in the hangar is the Mercedes D III aero engine dated March, 1917.

A wee bit battered and bruised it certainly has an interesting history. Manufactured March 1917 and delivered to Albatros, it in all likely hood was installed in a D V (not Va) fighter. Factory built in high compression form it was rated at 170ps vs the standard 160ps. With the better known D IIIa engine being introduced in April, 1917, this was one of the last D III engines produced.

While it's service history is currently unknown, it was on display as a War Trophy in the Ottawa Armouries (Canada) in June 1918 and is documented as part of a War Trophy tour across Canada that summer.

At 15 litres (903cubic inches) and 600+ pounds, it is certainly a conversation starter.

Unfortunately I am unable to upload a picture either as an attachment or insert.

Regards,
                            John

Comment

Hi

My memorabilia are parts of the Stirling that crashed in a field and slid towards the small cottage where my Mother and Aunt (to be) were both asleep aged 12 and 8 having been evacuated from South London for 'safety'.

50 yards more and I would not be typing this, sadly some parts belonged to the crew who all died.

James
                              Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 18th May 2018, 22:21.

Comment

A No.106 Squadron lapel pin from the early Eighties. It has no commercial value but means the earth to me as it was given to me by a group of veterans at one of the Squadron reunions. Lest we forget.....

Comment

Don. I've just read you post, above. Thank you so much for posting it... Andrew

Comment

I've got a few bits and pieces of various sorts but this is my favourite.

It's the stainless steel fitting that was the fixed part of the lock for the pilot's small side door (note the part number) of Spitfire Mk.1, R6891.

The aircraft flew with 610 Squadron all through the Battle of Britain and it was in this aircraft that a certain Sgt Ronnie Fairfax "the Pied Piper" Hamlyn achieved five combat kills on the same day (all confirmed) during the Battle. He was, officially, the RAF's first "Ace in a Day" and later did a radio interview for the BBC about the feat.

The part represents a small piece from one of the most important air battles ever and it is one of those parts, would that it could only speak. With canopy slid back and cockpit door open it would have sat there in the Kent sunshine at Hawkinge and Biggin Hill whilst the clatter of the armourers and refuellers and other station life went on around it. Likewise, during the air combats in which it was involved, it would have shaken and resounded to the eight Browning machine guns fired to achieve the victories - as well as all the other activity of the time. You can see the witness marks on it from when the catch was locked after the door was closed.

It was found in the Northumbrian mud in 2001 whilst excavating what was left of the aircraft after it had crashed on high ground in a dive after the pilot (under training) had lost control in cloud. He baled out but, unfortunately, he was too low to survive.

So it is a small, recognisable and identifable relic of a time when the war was far from won and of those many men and machines who fought to win that important battle in the long hot summer of 1940.

Anon.

I'm unable to add pics at the moment due to some problem or other. Will try again later.
                                    Last edited by Anon; 21st May 2018, 19:23.

Comment

My favorite aircraft part was an MOD plate from Ward's Wellington L7818. Donated the plate and other parts to the RNZAF a few years ago. better they have it.
                                      Ian

Comment

Nice stuff Mike and Ian
                                        Tony Dyer
                                        https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Strange to read this thread again, I mentioned in 2007 that my prized possessions were original Halifax manuals, documents and a control column. All manuals and documents were sold on and I have two cockpits now. How things change.
                                          Cees

Comment

Working...
                                          X