Aussie Tiger schemes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

I realise most forumites are more interested in military matters but having grown up when most Tiger Moths in the UK were in civilian colours and mainly in silver with trim in various different colours I must confess that is my personal preference when Tigers are restored. The only Tigers in military markings in those days were still in military service but nowadays most restorers seem to prefer such schemes.

A friend has recently bought one, however, and wants to put it back into RAAF colours.

Can anyone say whether the scheme shown on G-INFO for A17-48 (G-BPHR) is authentic and more specifically what would be the correct colour scheme for a Tiger in the range A17-503 falls within?

Wicked Willip :diablo:

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Might be able to help. Let me have what you know in a PM, and I can do a bit of digging around.

Recently (well, 18 months ago) the RAAF Museum repainted this RAAF Tiger into what was worked out to have probably been her wartime colours:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/JDK2/RAAF%20Museum%20Pageant/JDK_RAAFM_Pageant_35.jpg

Member for

20 years 7 months

G-BPHR looks like a mixture of pre-war rudder stripes, post/late war overall yellow. There was a lot of variation, and I'm not going to be dogmatic, as it's not an area I'm expert in, but I do know a few knowledgeable guys, and have access to some of the official data at the RAAF Museum's archive.

RAAF operated Tigers don't have the anti-spin strakes; that's a British requirement and retrofit on A17-48

Meantime, start here:
http://www.adf-serials.com/
http://www.adf-serials.com/2a17.shtml

And here:
http://cas.awm.gov.au
Search 'Collections' for 'Tiger Moth' and select 'photos'.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks JDK for your help.

Message sent.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hi Willip,

I'll do a little more searching around about paint schemes and see what I can dig up. I have a fair idea, but I don't want to 'jump the gun'.

A17-503 served with the EFTS at Narromine, NSW. It may well be worth contacting the Curator at the Museum there to verify its WWII markings. [email]curator@narromineaviationmuseum.org.au[/email]

Also, I thought for information you might like some background on A17-503 from Julian Forsyth's excellent book. (If you'd like the same for A17-48 I can forward that information as well).

Construction Number 926

Built to RAAF order as A17-503. 2 AD Richmond 18.5.42. 1 AOS Cootamundra storage 25.5.42. EFTS Narromine 22.6.42. DHA Mascot 19.6.44 for overhaul (sequence number T.256). 2AP Bankstown 30.6.44.
5 AD Storage Cootamundra 6.7.44. CMU Cootamundra 12.3.46. Offered for sale by CDC 1.2.47. Sold for £90 to Association of Australian Aero Clubs, Broadmeadow, N.S.W. 14.2.47 Issued to purchaser 7.5.47.

Registered VH-BMY to Newcastle Aero Club, Broadmeadow, N.S.W., 4.3.49 (C of R Number 1628)
Struck power lines and crashed near Canowindra, N.S.W., 2.9.50, on a flight from Forbes to Cowra (pilot Francis Rooney killed). Withdrawn from service 16.5.51. Registration cancelled 6.8.51 in general cancellation of registrations of unairworthy aircraft. Registered VH-RNM to Royal Newcastle Aero Club, Broadmeadow, N.S.W., 56. Registered VH-BTU to Basil Taylor & Co Pty Ltd, Perth W.A. 19.11.59.
(Cof R number 2932). Registration cancelled 26.6.61. Registered to Blaxwell & Grummels, South Guildford WA, 28.6.61; and F. W. Lawrence, Benjaberring, WA, 25.9.63. Registration cancelled 8.7.66 Exported to the United States. Became N3862.

Source: The DH82A Tiger Moth in Australia by Julian Forsyth 1995.

Cheers,

Owen

[ATTACH]158943[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks very much for the additional info, Owen.

You don't happen to know whether A17-503 might have been in a silver scheme at some stage do you, as that's my friend's preferred choice.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks for that Owen! Not a book I've (yet) got.

You don't happen to know whether A17-503 might have been in a silver scheme at some stage do you, as that's my friend's preferred choice.

Entering service in 1942 puts that aircraft as too late to get the pre-war silver scheme. It would have had a camouflage / yellow scheme during the war. It may be it adopted a post-war silver scheme, but it seems to have left service before that was common*. We'll see what we can come up with - I'm sure Owen can help further too. ;)

If your friend's heart is set on a silver scheme, it would be possible to paint it as another RAAF aircraft. If it's good enough for the BBMF...

*That's all off the top of my head, there were a lot of exceptions and I'm not expert on this area. Caveat emptor.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hi again Willip.

I have to agree with James about the timeline for A17-503's paint scheme. Going into storage in 1944 before being sold off tends to suggest that it never wore the post-war silver scheme. Again James is correct; there were exceptions.

I have asked a friend who is a very capable researcher/illustrator to chase up what they can relating to the paint scheme of A17-503. I'll let you know their findings when I hear back.

Also, there is a very good series on RAAF colour schemes 1920s to 1950s, put together by Ian K Baker.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Owen

Below is a snap of some RAAF Tigers post war at Uranquinty NSW Australia. My Dad was one of the instructors on this sortie in 1955, 3 years after he had returned from Korea.

[ATTACH]158952[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

James & Owen

My Tiger owning friend is very grateful for the help with possible RAAF colour schemes and thanks you both for the help on this.

He has emailed the Curator at the Narromine Aviation Museum so it will be interesting to see if he comes up with anything.

Cheers again.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Hi Willip,
Had a chat with the Asst Curator at the RAAF Museum about this last night, at a function. He researched the RAAF Museum's latest Tiger's scheme. He agreed that silver was 'unlikely' in the time frame, and most probable would have been overall yellow. He also mentioned he thought he'd been contacted by the owner direct? (All roads lead to Rome.)
Cheers,

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hi Willip,

I've received an answer back and it seems unlikely that A17-503 ever wore a silver scheme. The consensus agrees that by that stage of the war an all over yellow scheme with black serial and nose numbering would be the most likely.

I can email you a file that I was forwarded with some images from the AWM of Tigers from that era if you'd like. Below I have attached a copy of the RAAF data card for A17-503.

[ATTACH]159264[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Owen