Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Virtual Art Gallery

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlanSpears
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2011

Civil Aircraft paintings

Greetings again all. Santa brought me some new acrylic paints....

Western Australia Police PC12 over Karratha airport (40cm x 50cm,16" x 20")

Toll Metro dawn departure Sydney (30cm x 60cm,12" x 24")

Royal Flying Doctor Service PC-12 (30cm x 60cm,12" x 24")

Royal Flying Doctor Service Beech 200 (40cm x 50cm,16" x 20")

Comment

• trumper
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2003

Nice stuff, do you use acrylics as watercolours or extender,if find them hard to use as they dry so quick.

Comment

• cloudpainter
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2009

Jet Age

Hi All,
        Here is a tribute to the Jet Age in Atlanta ...

Delta Air Lines intoduced the DC8 11 Ship 801 and the brand-new jetway in 1959

Best regards

Michel

Comment

• AlanSpears
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2011

Hello Trumper, I live in Brisbane,Australia (half way up the right hand side). Winters are mild with low humidity=acrylics dry VERY fast. Summers are hot=acrylics dry VERY fast. Use an air conditioner in summer,temp good,but,the aircon dries the air out=acrylics dry VERY fast. I do have to work fast before the paint thickens and is unusable. I did try extenders but,I'd smear the work with my hand when doing the fine details. Changed my attitude. Accepted the fast drying time and think of it as an advantage.

Comment

• AlanSpears
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2011

Cathay Pacific A330 departing Melbourne,Australia

Aviation Art. Acrylic on stretched canvas 30cm x 60cm (12" x 24")

Comment

• pistonrob
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2011

my trouble is im constantly chopping and changing.. it takes me ages to finish a picture. the Lightnings getting there bit by bit lol
              Last edited by pistonrob; 8th May 2012, 19:35.
              www.restorebike.co.uk
              www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa
              (aviation archaeology)

ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR LENSE IS, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS

Comment

• trumper
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2003

Alan and Rob,i like those alot.Blimey Alan i admire your patience with the use of acrylics-well done

Comment

• pistonrob
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                  Alan and Rob,i like those alot.Blimey Alan i admire your patience with the use of acrylics-well done
                  many thanks for the compliments. my works acrylic also (except for the pencil work). im a novice with using colours and this is my total amount of acrylic work so far except for my DH88 Comet (not shown). it is amazing the amount of styles from artists when using just acrylic. my work is quite rough n ready when compared to Alans though.
                  www.restorebike.co.uk
                  www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa
                  (aviation archaeology)

ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR LENSE IS, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS

Comment

• AlanSpears
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks Trumper and Rob. Trumper is also an aviation artist,so please won't you put up some of your art? Rob,that Concorde is going to be something special,please,focus,and finish it.....we're all waiting to see the final version.

Comment

• JP Vieira
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jul 2007

A-7P

Hello
                      Here is one of my latest works
                      a print of the A-7P Corsair II of the FAP

Best regards
                      JP Vieira
                      http://ilustro.webs.com/ https://www.facebook.com/JPVieira.Illustration / https://www.facebook.com/jp.vieira.779/

Comment

• Skyraider3D
                        Flying Dutchman
                        • Oct 2004

This forum is a bit "temperamental" with reply notifications and as such I haven't seen this thread for a long time!

Great work meanwhile, Paul, Alan, Michel, JP and others!

Here's an update from me with a selection of last year's work:

"Down Under"
                        The CA-15 prototype on a late afternoon test flight in 1946, created for the book cover of Red Roo's book on the CA-15 by David Clark.

Here a very quick and basic one for Model Aircraft magazine (Jan 2012 issue), using an ancient (2004) model of the Ju 88:

But the main focus of 2011 was on the artwork for Osprey's 100th Aircraft of the Aces book: Ki-44 Tojo Aces of World War 2 by Nicholas Millman. I did all cover art, profile illustrations and line drawings for this book (for which Nick supplied the painstakingly researched colour and markings references). Below some samples of this work:

NB. Seeing as "the computer does it all for you", I was very lucky that my computer knew exactly what a Ki-44 looks like and all I had to do was press the big fat "make all the artwork for Osprey while I sleep" button on my desktop and I was done! It did take a few hundred hours to "calculate" all the 3D shapes, surface details, skin layout, colour schemes, lighting and cover art composition, but then again my PC is seven(!) years old. Argh... Being a sucker for punishment, now I am doing it all over again for the Ki-27...!

Recently I purchased a new domain for my work, namely http://www.aviationart.aero. So far it's still a bit placeholder-ish, simply linking on to my other two websites (my gallery at http://www.skyraider3d.com and my web shop at http://www.digitalaviationart.com ) but I thought it would be fun to obtain this domain anyway!

Well, I hope you like my more recent stuff. Thanks for looking!

Ronnie
                        Aviation Art & Photography
                        www.AviationArt.aero

...also for custom prints and t-shirts
                        Or find me on Facebook

Comment

• JT442
                          • Oct 2010

Ronnie,

As a 'traditional' artist, and as one who has previously used one of your images to create a 'traditional' copy-of-sorts (it was a mustang and still hangs in my house), I can appreciate how many artists like me view 'computer generated' art as a bit of an interloper. I can however, relate the following to my 'traditional' fellows:

Look at the sheer amount of detail, the hundreds of hours spent applying media, the composition, the light and shadows, the perfection of form. How can anyone say that this is not art? It is magnificent!

I think my main problem with this art form has always been the ability to draw and colour profiles of aircraft with ease, and often more accurately than the computerised versions. I think that to counteract this rather common belief that the aircraft lacks depth and detail, one of your profiles should be printed out life-size and compared to the real aircraft by an engineer. I suspect that the art will be more perfect than the real thing! I am amazed and in awe.

Comment

• Sage the Owl
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2007

Airfix to stage art exhibition

Airfix have announced that they are planning to hold an exhibition of their original box art at the RAF museum Hendon next summer.

They are looking for anyone who may have some of the original paintings in their personal collections that would be willing to loan them for the duration of the event.

A bit more info here,
                            http://www.airfix.com/latest-news/ar...at-raf-hendon/

Comment

• Skyraider3D
                              Flying Dutchman
                              • Oct 2004

The other day I started a Facebook page for my artwork. Please have a look (and perhaps a Like? ) at www.facebook.com/aviationart.aero

Some things you'll find there are some current work-in-progress projects, such as the I-16 and Ju 88 A-4:

www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

Comment

• Radpoe Meteor
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jul 2007

It's nice to see this thread again. Absolutely love the Ju88.

Comment

• Skyraider3D
                                  Flying Dutchman
                                  • Oct 2004

Glad you like it RM! I have a nightfighter model in the works too, nearly complete.

JT442, thank you very much for your kind comments!
                                  Ironically, my 3D art actually is resembling engineering more and more, as the amount of detail I put in each model seems to increase per project. On the I-16 I have modelled grooves in the screwheads, as you can see. What's next!!
                                  www.AviationArt.aero

Or find me on Facebook

Comment

• Paul C
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Dec 2004

Gettin back in the saddle

hiya all
                                    Well after not painting for some time I find myself getting back to it so here is the first for some time, as always comments welcomed

Cheers
                                    PaulC

www.paulcouper.co.uk
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• trumper
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Aug 2003

Very nice Paul

Comment

• Paul C
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Dec 2004

Last of the big cats

Hi guys
                                        In the spirit of getting back at it this is what Im working on at the moment, always had a soft spot for the Jaguar, a childhood favourite so was quite sad when they stopped flying.

PaulC
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• JT442
                                          • Oct 2010

One from me (seen in another thread.... but this is a better home for it)

Oil on board, 3ft x 1ft
                                          Last edited by JT442; 5th December 2012, 08:30.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X