Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Virtual Art Gallery

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neil996
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CSheppardholedi View Post
    Neil996
    To do profiles in Photoshop and the like, here is the rough order of business.
    1. Find a good line profile of the subject you want (this may be harder than you think) It needs to bee large in pixel scale. Compare several, try to find the most accurate. Lots of reference photos help.
    2. Make it BIG. Make the image 1/4 to 1/3 bigger than the final size you want to produce in the end. It is always better to make it bigger and ruduce it down a bit. Sharpens it up nicely.
    3. Probably have to redraw the lines and tweak it to your desired line-weight
    4. Pick a style, flat coloring or shaded coloring, black line overlay or more realistic-no black lines showing just panel edge highlights and shaddows, clean or weathered.
    5. Make an extra layer on top with this outline(just black, no white. Add layers between to start "painting".

If only it were that simple!!

Here is a bit of a project I have been working on, it is reduced by 1/3, and yes, it is HUGE.

Most of all, Have fun and try not to pull your hair out!
    Cheers for that i appreciate it, i tried a few years ago to do the line bit in Illustrator when i was trying to come up with motorbike paint designs.

I think this type of art looks great when you want to show off markings etc.

which bit would you do in Photoshop and in Illustrator?

Great bit of Nose art!

i dont have much hair now so will rant and swear at screen instead!

Comment

• CSheppardholedi
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Nov 2006

Neil996
      I do ALL of it in Photoshop, though as you can see from mine, not a "blackline" showing. For color wash in line work, it probably would be best to do the line art in Illustrator, and color it up in Photoshop. Lots of layers is best. Copy a layer before you do anything drastic. That is the wonderful thing about layers as opposed to hand painting....whoops....wash it off....start over !!

This '17 I have been working on is not just nose art, it is full length, 36" and high resolution. BIG file. Still tracking down rivit patterns for the aft section, tail and wing bottoms. Just takes time!
      Chris
      Images and Illustrations at
      http://www.printroom.com/pro/ShepArtStudio

Comment

• neil996
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2007

Neil996
        I do ALL of it in Photoshop, though as you can see from mine, not a "blackline" showing. For color wash in line work, it probably would be best to do the line art in Illustrator, and color it up in Photoshop. Lots of layers is best. Copy a layer before you do anything drastic. That is the wonderful thing about layers as opposed to hand painting....whoops....wash it off....start over !!

This '17 I have been working on is not just nose art, it is full length, 36" and high resolution. BIG file. Still tracking down rivit patterns for the aft section, tail and wing bottoms. Just takes time!
        Thankfully ive done abit on photo's in photoshop, the couple of art prints ive done have been based on memorial agenda's and all ive needed is aircraft silohettes which ive got from building the aircraft model, taking pics from various angles and then cutting the shape and blacking it out.

The Me109 looks great, i would be interested in adding the oil stains and scrapes etc like this one.

Comment

• CSheppardholedi
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Nov 2006

Neil996

Also, a Wacom tablet or something similar is very handy for "stroking" more like a brush. Much more organic feel than mousing it all. A small 4x5ish tablet would probably do it. They take a while to get used to, but are extremely useful.

Use lots of layers, play with opacity, build up the colors....just have fun(as long as you aren't on a deadline!)
          Chris
          Images and Illustrations at
          http://www.printroom.com/pro/ShepArtStudio

Comment

• neil996
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jul 2007

Neil996

Also, a Wacom tablet or something similar is very handy for "stroking" more like a brush. Much more organic feel than mousing it all. A small 4x5ish tablet would probably do it. They take a while to get used to, but are extremely useful.

Use lots of layers, play with opacity, build up the colors....just have fun(as long as you aren't on a deadline!)
            I was thinking of getting one of those, and this would be the perfect time to get one. cheers for the info - very helpfull!

Comment

• trumper
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2003

Well having seen the talent on this forum i'm not sure whether to post this effort but if it gives others hope and encourages others to "exhibit" their works of art well here goes
              I started Oil painting in the summer of last year and am really still on a very very never ending learning curve.
              There's tons wrong with it but the fun is trying and learning.
              This is the only aircraft one i have tried but unfortunately haven't had much time to do any more.Winter and dark evenings will soon be here so instead of going out i will need something to do.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Radpoe Meteor
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by robmac View Post
                This was done for LesB

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
                My g** what a co-incidence!!! an engine from XM276 is on display at Donny & XM279 nose was at Firbeck until swapped with wings for our Lightning F.6

p.s. I will put it to commitee for an art exhibition for 2008
                Last edited by Radpoe Meteor; 11th October 2007, 19:33.

Comment

• Dan Johnson
                  Wannabe Yank in the RAF
                  • Mar 2003

Neil996

I start in Illustrator then take it to photoshop. Lets me have templates of different birds and adjust them before going to Photoshop. The 109E started there and finished in photoshop with lots of layers. The Mustang hasn't made it to photoshop yet as I keep adding detail as I find it.

Comment

• Lindy's Lad
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                    Well having seen the talent on this forum i'm not sure whether to post this effort but if it gives others hope and encourages others to "exhibit" their works of art well here goes
                    I started Oil painting in the summer of last year and am really still on a very very never ending learning curve.
                    There's tons wrong with it but the fun is trying and learning.
                    This is the only aircraft one i have tried but unfortunately haven't had much time to do any more.Winter and dark evenings will soon be here so instead of going out i will need something to do.
                    Don't worry - I was in a similar position to you three years ago. I had to research how to use oil paints! I'm self taught, and I'm sure many oil painters on here (there are one or two pro artists who have already checked this thread) would agree that no painting is perfect. I would recommend joining an aviation artists guild and they will be able to rip your work apart, thoroughly demorallise you, and then help you become a truely great artist! Gags aside, they are a fantastic bunch of people and will bend over backwards to help you.

Work more on the depth of colour - it would appear that you have used the oils almost like water colour. Oil paint is a great medium which enables you to use vivid colours with ease as well as subtle tones.

Just remember to research your subject thoroughly, and if it helps, make several oil scetches to work on shades, depth, content, etc. Plan the painting well in advance, and don't rush it.

Above all remember one thing - you are painting because you like it! Who cares what anyone else says! Keep going and have fun!

Comment

• pagen01
                      St Mawganphile
                      • Aug 2007

Trumper and Lindys, your work definatly stands out, you might not be 100% accurate with the aircraft detail (please forgive my saying so), but your pictures have emotion and take you to where aviation is about, the backgrounds and skies are lovely.
                      I can remember playing on the beach and seeing Shacks doing circuits out of Mawgan, and you picture takes me to that fond place.

Edit, just checked out the Russell Smith studio, gorgous works in there, without a doubt.

Now heres a question, can CAD, photoshop or computer generated pictures be considered art? Cat, pigeons, GO!
                      Last edited by pagen01; 12th October 2007, 08:53.
                      http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=...t=most_popular

Comment

• go4b17
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Apr 2004

Nice works chaps - www.ehangar.com is an interesting site for art

here's one of mine

my Avatar of the B17 Meathauler in Bolivia
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Paul C
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Dec 2004

Hi guys
                          Best add a few offerings, bit of everthing

Pagen01
                          To my mind art is about the finished result and whether or not you as the viewer like it , not the tools used to achieve them, the person producing the work has to make the same judgements about his work be it oils, pencils, digital/composition, colours etc, it comes down to has the computer produced the work or has the artist used the computer to achieve the final result, there are many examples of digital work out there that if you put them in front of many artists they could not tell one way or the other.
                          As you can tell I'm a fan as I use both

Cheers
                          Paul C

You can see more of my work here
                          www.paulcouper.co.uk
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Paul C
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2004

A small demo of what can be done with photoshop, not mine I hasten to add (I wish) but I'm sure the artist wont mind me using it to demonstrate.
                            How could anyone say this is not art just because its digital

Paul C
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Lindy's Lad
                              • Mar 2007

Art is, by its very definition a personal interpretation of a media. It doesn't matter what media is used, as Paul C has just said.

Traditionaly, fine art is produced via media applied by hand, but times have overtook tradition...

It would not be difficult for someone with the skill with photoshop to produce a print which might be as good as a Coulson or Taylor....

If you have ever seen some airbrush pieces, they can be quite stunning, as can digital.

I am a fan of FINE art, and as such I can include almost all media in my portfolio. What I dislike is Modern Art... but thats just my take.

Comment

• Paul C
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Dec 2004

Thought you might like to see what I am working on at the moment
                                It is based around the exploits of the patron to my local Aviation art group Fred Penson who flew mustangs with 213 squadron in Italy and the Balkans, he is an incorrigable old gent who has many a story to tell and a naughty twinkle when there are ladies about, as well as being no mean artist.
                                He is often to be found proping up the bar surrounded by people as he tells his tales of strafing trains and other ground targets, so Fred thanks for the inspiration

PaulC
                                Attached Files

Comment

• BIGVERN1966
                                  steely eyed missile man
                                  • Jan 2006

My last effort, thanks to which 6 Sqn had some Spotty Jag prints before they finally disbanded.

TWIN RAMJET POWERED MONOPLANE FIXER 1985 - 1989

Comment

• robmac
                                    B-29 Superfortress Build
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Paul C View Post
                                    Thought you might like to see what I am working on at the moment
                                    It is based around the exploits of the patron to my local Aviation art group Fred Penson who flew mustangs with 213 squadron in Italy and the Balkans, he is an incorrigable old gent who has many a story to tell and a naughty twinkle when there are ladies about, as well as being no mean artist.
                                    He is often to be found proping up the bar surrounded by people as he tells his tales of strafing trains and other ground targets, so Fred thanks for the inspiration

PaulC
                                    That is a cracking picture Paul. Lets see more of your work please friend.

My latest is a Vixen about to land on Hermes and also working on 3 GR1 Tornado's in formation and a Buccaneer just taking off.

Will upload them when done
                                    http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=15772.0

Comment

• Paul C
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Dec 2004

Robmac
                                      In light of yesterdays fantastic events, I for one will never forget seeing the Vulcan display I thought these two might be topical.
                                      And of course a huge well done and thanks to all involved

PaulC

www.paulcouper.co.uk
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• robmac
                                        B-29 Superfortress Build
                                        • Feb 2005

Funny you should say that Paul.

Because of 558's return to the sky, it has inspired me to draw, yes you've got it, the Vulcan.

Seeing her fly for the first time Thursday brought a massive lump to my throat as did it all the other people that were with me, all 350 or so of us that were waiting for the two and a half hours to see her go up on the section of road by Brunty.

I'll upload the drawing when I've done it.

Nice paintings by the way
                                        http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=15772.0

Comment

• Radpoe Meteor
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Paul C View Post
                                          A small demo of what can be done with photoshop, not mine I hasten to add (I wish) but I'm sure the artist wont mind me using it to demonstrate.
                                          How could anyone say this is not art just because its digital

Paul C
                                          That is very true,how do you define & judge what is or is not art? I build model kits to a decent standard,but those you see displayed at shows knock spots off my efforts & are definitly 3D works of art in there own right-i.e. paintings but on a different 3 dimentional "canvas".

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X