Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Virtual Art Gallery

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul C
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2004

Well finally got this one finished, turned out better than I expected time to move on to the long list of other projects, looking at a DH Hornet next or maybe a beaufighter

Thanks for looking
    Paul C

www.paulcouper.co.uk
    Attached Files

Comment

• ZH195
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2011

My first attempt with vectors with a dash of photoshop thrown in. CC welcome. Its the aircraft my dad solo'd in at Sherburn.
      Attached Files

Comment

• inkworm
        Rank outsider
        • Jan 2010

Good start using vectors, can't really go wrong with them, however I've never been a fan of the halfway house finish, either keep it flat with no shading or go the whole hog and add the shading, shadows cast by wings, high gloss reflections etc.

If the basis is vector (Illustrator I'm guessing) then assuming it is closed paths they will be easy enough to import into photoshop and use as masks to shade in and render up the a/c.

A good start and plenty of potential there if you have the time to put in!
        Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Comment

• ZH195
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2011

Thanks for the comments. Im just realising how much can be done with Illustrator & Photoshop. I will update on the progress

Comment

• Firebex
            North Yorkshire
            • Jan 2010

Aviation art work

Just popped in to let you guys know that if you are producing aviation art that you think is good enough to want to sell.We have set up a section on our web site to support aviation artists and to give them an outlet all we ask in return is if you find a buyer for your products you give us a small donation towards the whirlwind project.

Thanks for your attention guys and gals hope we can help each other PM me or contact me via the contact section on the web site.

Mike E
            www.whirlwindfighterproject.org

Comment

• robmac
              B-29 Superfortress Build
              • Feb 2005

I know this is going to upset a few people on here but art is when someone takes a pencil, piece of charcoal, paint brush or air brush and then on a piece of canvas or paper procedes to draw by hand and paint by hand the subject that he or she wishes to reproduce in all of its glory for others to marvel over.

The pictures on here that have been done by someone using a computer to reproduce them just don't come into the above statement in my eyes cause you are not actually doing the work by hand. The computer does it all for you and albeit them very good looking, if the real artists on here could produce work with a brush that tack sharp, he would be a very happy real artist indeed!
              http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=15772.0

Comment

• pagen01
                St Mawganphile
                • Aug 2007

I think Skyraider3Ds' work on here clearly blows that theory out of the water Rob!
                If I make a simple pencil line drawing of a side on view of an aircraft it isn't art, but if I sat down and made a beautiful or imagineative computor rendering of the same aircraft in flight say then it becomes art.

Personally I'm ok having a go with the paper based stuff, but I can't get my head around some of the computor based work which constantly amazes me.
                Last edited by pagen01; 20th May 2011, 08:12.
                http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=...t=most_popular

Comment

• Matty
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by robmac View Post
                  I know this is going to upset a few people on here but art is when someone takes a pencil, piece of charcoal, paint brush or air brush and then on a piece of canvas or paper procedes to draw by hand and paint by hand the subject that he or she wishes to reproduce in all of its glory for others to marvel over.

Personally I think brushes, oils and canvas are cheating. Real art is berries chewed up and smeared on to a cave wall with your own bare hands.

Comment

• Firebex
                    North Yorkshire
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Matty View Post
                    Personally I think brushes, oils and canvas are cheating. Real art is berries chewed up and smeared on to a cave wall with your own bare hands.
                    dont forget you can use your feet,toes and other extremities !!!
                    there was a woman on the telly on an art programme who ceated a work of art with two women mud wrestling in paint all over an 8foot square canvas.The imagination ran wild with the description but the finished article left me going for a cold shower !!!

Comment

• Zebedee
                      Mostly Harmless
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by robmac View Post
                      I know this is going to upset a few people on here... The computer does it all for you...
                      Err... no it doesn't.... trust me, if there was a Spitfire filter in photoshop it would take all the fun out of it...!

The computer is just a tool.. nothing more nothing less... and it takes just as much skill, knowledge and experience to produce something computer based as it does with more traditional mediums...

You could make a similar argument with digital photography... The camera does the focussing, stabilises the image, possibly sorts out exposure. You then put it on the computer which maybe sorts out sharpness some highlights... does this make it any less valid than something taken on an old film camera and developed by hand in a darkroom...?

No.. its just different...

Zeb
                      Last edited by Zebedee; 19th May 2011, 21:41. Reason: Grammer...
                      "I wish Bernard was here"
                      "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

Comment

• JT442
                        • Oct 2010

As a traditional artist, I can happily say that the view that computer generated imagery is not art is an arcane and 100% innacurate statement. Art by its definition is something that makes the viewer look, ponder, and question, something that captures the imagination and inspires.... the fact that you don't like it or agree with it means that it has invoked a reaction - just as was intended........

I shamelessly attempted to reproduce one of Skyraider's pieces (a mustang) and failed. The composition was excellent and my effort was not as good as his. He has sold more pieces than me, and therefore is a better artist, merely using a different medium. The picture attached to this post was my attempt to reproduce the effects crated by Skyraider - (his avatar pic)

It is art, and like brush / oil / fingers / animal blood, it has its variations in quality.

This thread is for ALL artists who favour an aviation theme, whether that be classical (paint), modern, sculpture, ceramic, computer portraits, or even crayon.

I should also add that everyone has differing views on what art is and how good it is....... that's the whole point...
                        Last edited by JT442; 15th November 2011, 16:10.

Comment

wwrsimon

Originally posted by JT442 View Post
                          As a traditional artist, I can happily say that the view that computer generated imagery is not art is an arcane and 100% innacurate statement. Art by its definition is something that makes the viewer look, ponder, and question, something that captures the imagination and inspires.... the fact that you don't like it or agree with it means that it has invoked a reaction - just as was intended........

I shamelessly attempted to reproduce one of Skyraider's pieces (a mustang) and failed. The composition was excellent and my effort was not as good as his. He has sold more pieces than me, and therefore is a better artist, merely using a different medium. The picture attached to this post was my attempt to reproduce the effects crated by Skyraider - (his avatar pic)

It is art, and like brush / oil / fingers / animal blood, it has its variations in quality.

This thread is for ALL artists who favour an aviation them, whether that be classical (paint), modern, sculpture, ceramic, computer portraits, or even crayon.

I should also add that everyone has differing views on what art is and how good it is....... that's the whole point...
                          Wot 'e said...a computer is just another medium. With all due respect to robmac, a mouse (or graphics tablet for the posh lads!) is a tool just the same as a paintbrush, and a pixel is the same as a pencil stroke or brush stroke. I wish all I had to do was type 'draw me a nice picture of a plane picture' and let the computer do the rest...I'd love to know what software does that.

Ask the first ever caveman who daubed images on a cave wall in blood with a chewed stick, and he'd say paper, canvas, paintbrushes and pencils were cheating.

With apologies to Luddites everywhere...and yes, I can do it 'properly', it's just easier with a computer. Command-Z (okay, Control-Z for you Windows lot) is the greatest invention ever!

Regards

Simon

Comment

• Paul C
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2004

Again wot they said, the computer cannot choose colour, composition tone, brushes, medium and any number of variables which only the artist can decide and certainly cannot replace plain old talent, the computer cannot make a poor artist/photographer into a talented artist/photographer it is just a tool that can if you wish replace the brush or darkroom, would you suggest that if Shakespear had written on a laptop that the computer did the work?

My twopenth
                            PaulC

Comment

• trumper
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Aug 2003

I take my hat off to those who can and do with either format.My computer skills are so basic that to create what Skyraider and others do with computers to me is as awesome as the more traditional art.
                              I do feel that it should be disclosed though that it is done by computer generation if there is any doubt,most artists state what the medium is and what it is painted on.
                              Art comes from within and ideas and is just translated onto another format.
                              Unless you make money from it and that is a small percentage of artists ENJOYMENT is most important to the artist and viewer.

Comment

• inkworm
                                Rank outsider
                                • Jan 2010

Robmac, that is the biggest load of old cobblers I've heard in a long while, if I didn't know better I'd say that was some good trolling. But echoing the other statements on software being just another medium, the same was said of photography when it was first used to replace just the portrait painting, that however freed up the artists to then use painting as more than just a reason to photographically depict an image, fantasy or reality, they then moved on to become more relaxed, would you accuse Manet, Monet, Picasso etc of not being artists?

Having worked in oils, acrylics, watercolours, ink, pencil, graphite sticks, charcoal, chalk, mud, ground up berries etc I find that digital work is no different, only plus side is it is more forgiving and flexible than some others, it is quicker to work in, much more portable and easier to store, plus I don't then spend half the day cleaning up the mess.

It is the ignorant who really do think a computer has a 'make it better' button and that it is not 'real art'. With a profile for example the computer does not know where shading, highlighting, weathering, colour matching all goes, it takes the human eye to interpret photos and references, make the critical judgement and then creating the artwork.

Doing stuff in photy is quicker than other mediums, more flexible when I've got say 20 Victors to knock out in various formats and is far more cost effective when I've got a mortgage to pay and small mouths to feed.

And now I'm going back to colouring in a tank for Airfix Mag and having lots of fun adding the mud.
                                Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Comment

• trumper
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by inkworm View Post
                                  And now I'm going back to colouring in a tank for Airfix Mag and having lots of fun adding the mud.
                                  This thread is getting dirty LOL, mud ,girls wrestling in Firebex s post,

Comment

• Zebedee
                                    Mostly Harmless
                                    • Dec 2007

Gentlemen and Ladies...

Can I humbly suggest that before this thread descends into a vitriolic attack on luddites everywhere that we steer it back on course...?

Zeb
                                    "I wish Bernard was here"
                                    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

Comment

• spitfireman
                                      Recovering
                                      • Jun 2005

..not an aeroplane but an exercise with pencil....
                                      Attached Files
                                      www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

Comment

• spitfireman
                                        Recovering
                                        • Jun 2005

exercise with oil on canvas..........
                                        Attached Files
                                        www.wallond.com

Comment

• spitfireman
                                          Recovering
                                          • Jun 2005

exercise with Adobe..........
                                          Attached Files
                                          www.wallond.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X