Blackpool base for Southport airshow

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

In a few weeks time its the two day Southport airshow. Is the usual base for the display items eg BBMF, Reds,Stearmans etc Blackpool airport?
I am hoping to get some landing, take off pics .

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

A trip to Liverpool ?

In a few weeks time its the two day Southport airshow. Is the usual base for the display items eg BBMF, Reds,Stearmans etc Blackpool airport?
I am hoping to get some landing, take off pics .

Just ordered my tickets from the web and it seems that the John Lennon Airport will be the groundbase for the aircraft with less endurance and some with the need to keep flying hours down.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Its always Blackpool, no need to think it wont be this time.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just ordered my tickets from the web and it seems that the John Lennon Airport will be the groundbase for the aircraft with less endurance and some with the need to keep flying hours down.

Blackpool to Southport 7.6 Nm
Liverpool Speke (:)) to Southport 24.3 Nm

:confused:

Moggy

Member for

20 years 2 months

It's even further from Liverpool-John Lennon/beatles/Scouser/Toxteth O'Grady international to the aircrew hotels.......

It's Blackpool as it always has been, although a few aircraft have been known to operate from RAF Woodvale.

Member for

17 years 2 months

depending on wind direction i recommend standing on top or the sand dunes
opposite butlins entrance you get a superb view of aircraft movements
and its inline with the active runway

on a side note just noticed the antonov an 2 has moved it must have been in the same place for at least two years anyone know whats happening to it ??

Member for

20 years 2 months

depending on wind direction i recommend standing on top or the sand dunes
opposite butlins entrance you get a superb view of aircraft movements
and its inline with the active runway

on a side note just noticed the antonov an 2 has moved it must have been in the same place for at least two years anyone know whats happening to it ??

Pontins,Not Butlins

Member for

18 years 2 months

Um, pardon my ignorance, but (it has been a few years since I've been in the area - the ex-wife's family was in Ainsdale).... wouldn't Woodvale be a more appropriate 'base' for the Southport show? Or has it been completely shut down and dug up... last I saw, Liverpool UAS was still using it and there was still a red-tailed Phantom out front.

JJ

Member for

17 years 4 months

Woodvale is still open and active as an RAF station, with the Manchester/Salford and Liverpool UAS there.

Re. Woodvale & Southport airshow - Woodvale was used in the early days of the airshow as a base for the helicopters and light piston types, but in recent years most things have been centralised at Blackpool for logistical reasons. Woodvale is also too small to handle the number of types now present at the show, and of course it's unsuitable for jets.

Re. the airshow and Liverpool John Lennon Airport. The tie-up is purely sponsorship as far as I understand.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Jeff 998,
The An2 has gone to Little Gransden it will back in a bit, its only been based at Blackpool for about a year ,and has only been in that spot for about 8 months.
If you ever get chance to go and have a look in it, do so , shes immaculate leather interior.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Thanks folks, I will be booking in to a hotel near the airport for the Sunday activity.