all magnetometer users look here

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi,all
just wondered if agroupof us (who have information) could pool together a group who research the airfield and factory dumps of ww2,from aircraft parts a engines to military dumped tanks etc,with our machines and following up the leads we could find a few of these and there would be plenty for everyone including museums etc ,lets find them before its too late,
by pooling all our knowledge together there could be a very impressive group, and doing the aviation world a favour by finding these places,i know of quite a few rumours over the years ,and one eyewitness definate .also they dont need licensing by the MOD as they are not crash sites,no rules cover the berial of what was then rubbish,any one up for the challenge,
??????
PM me if interested

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hi,all
we could find a few of these and there would be plenty for everyone including museums etc ,lets find them before its too late,
by pooling all our knowledge together there could be a very impressive group, and doing the aviation world a favour by finding these places,i know of quite a few rumours over the years ,and one eyewitness definate .also they dont need licensing by the MOD as they are not crash sites,no rules cover the berial of what was then rubbish,any one up for the challenge

Thanks, but no thanks. I think the HAMG will keep poking about finding the odd bits and pieces ourselves. You lot would take the fun out of it:p

Member for

18 years 3 months

crikey

cripes !! ,it was only a suggestion, and searching with a mag is just as hard as with a detector,but if people dont act soon, it will be lost as the eyewitnesses are all dying off, !!
thats all i was implying

Member for

19 years

Don't worry Merkle, just think of ostriches!:D

Member for

20 years 1 month

cripes !! ,it was only a suggestion, and searching with a mag is just as hard as with a detector,but if people dont act soon, it will be lost as the eyewitnesses are all dying off, !!
thats all i was implying

And I was not intending to pee on your parade merkle, just that for some airfield research groups, the finding of, and excavation of, an airfield dump is top on their list. We would not be happy having another group approaching the landowner, digging up and taking away artifacts we have been searching ages for.
It is how you worded it that comes across as being..well...greedy...to me at least!, and I did put a smiley thingy in the post to show it was meant in lightheartedness:) just like that!

Member for

18 years 3 months

yes i see your point

but ,if you knew me i am one of the most modest,un greedy kind of man,I am just so frustrated after spending on and off since the age of 14 years old (now 36Y/O) researching franticly in my hobby of aviation archaeology to find just 1 ,only 1 engine as my dream is to do one up to running standard, doesnt have to be a merlin, a radial would have been nice ,but i must be the biggest loser in the game as all these years i have nothing to show for all the hard work i have put in, purely for the love of it,so the last thing i am is greedy,just frustrated, and now own a new magnetometer ,so trying to improve my chances,I believe that items found in a certain area (Belong) in that area as it is History from the area they are found,all i am after is a engine to rstore I cant afford to buy such a beast so i have to hunt for them, even if they exist,would love a wright cyclone more than anything, old herc engine to big a thirsty and complicated,thats all dennis,so if by helping groups who are searching for a big cache of parts a engines and i got one i would be over the moon,even if it was 50 of them, etc, sorry t sound greedy ,but just drasticly clinging on to my dream, which the way its going will never happen ,but cant be put down for trying
all the best
Chris C:D

Member for

18 years 3 months

And I was not intending to pee on your parade merkle, just that for some airfield research groups, the finding of, and excavation of, an airfield dump is top on their list. We would not be happy having another group approaching the landowner, digging up and taking away artifacts we have been searching ages for.
It is how you worded it that comes across as being..well...greedy...to me at least!, and I did put a smiley thingy in the post to show it was meant in lightheartedness:) just like that!

Well chris, seems like they have the view on insitue archeology, leave it all rusting away for someone else to find!! Get that magnetometer out there may be gold buried in the hills:D

These old dumps arnt that hard to find given the correct kit and aerial photos, if you want to dig one chris have a calilier attitude:diablo: , i will clean the spade off as a nice 50cal would look nice on the jeep

Member for

20 years 1 month

Well chris, seems like they have the view on insitue archeology, leave it all rusting away for someone else to find!!

No, not what I said fighterace. In theory, We would not be happy if the area we were interested in was dug by another group. Especially if that group found items and removed them and would not display the parts locally in context with the airfield they were found on.

if you want to dig one chris have a calilier attitude

I take it you meant 'have a cavalier attitude' I too have been involved with Aviation archaeology for the last thirty years. The last thing the Aviation Archaeology movement needs is a 'cavalier attitude' A wrong choice of words on your count Sir!

Member for

18 years 3 months

oops

hey i never wanted to start a fight, and i would help anyone,:eek:
Calm down its only a comercail,:D
right where was that dump,Ahh there it is
Now wheres me spade, ;)

Member for

18 years 10 months

1 engine as my dream is to do one up to running standard, doesnt have to be a merlin, a radial would have been nice ,but i must be the biggest loser in the game as all these years i have nothing to show for all the hard work i have put in, purely for the love of it...

Ever consider just going to a salvage yard & buying one?;)

Member for

18 years 3 months

No, not what I said fighterace. In theory, We would not be happy if the area we were interested in was dug by another group. Especially if that group found items and removed them and would not display the parts locally in context with the airfield they were found on.

I take it you meant 'have a cavalier attitude' I too have been involved with Aviation archaeology for the last thirty years. The last thing the Aviation Archaeology movement needs is a 'cavalier attitude' A wrong choice of words on your count Sir!

Dont you just love the forum, its just like the predictive text on my phone. You can really get some people going. Wish i had as many bits when i go fishing!!!:D

Member for

18 years 3 months

ok just pop down argos ??

thanks ever so much for that, i just didnt think to go to that scrap yard called "Merlins are us "":D :confused:

cor whilst i am, at it can i buy a complete He111 fora quid, heard they are going cheep in the costa del sol, and merlins and all this wartime junk ,people just cant seem to shift it, bloody inundated with all this spitfire rubbish,:diablo: :D :p
just as if :rolleyes: :confused:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Yes that true enough, personally i have recovered some excellent finds deeply buried from complete hurricane control columns to almost undamaged merlins that would run again with a lot of money spent and to be fare they have granted ownership.

There you go merkle, he's got one or two lying about according to an earlier post on another topic. Make him an offer:)

Member for

17 years 3 months

but ,if you knew me i am one of the most modest,un greedy kind of man,I am just so frustrated after spending on and off since the age of 14 years old (now 36Y/O) researching franticly in my hobby of aviation archaeology to find just 1 ,only 1 engine as my dream is to do one up to running standard, doesnt have to be a merlin, a radial would have been nice ,but i must be the biggest loser in the game as all these years i have nothing to show for all the hard work i have put in, purely for the love of it,so the last thing i am is greedy,just frustrated, and now own a new magnetometer ,so trying to improve my chances,I believe that items found in a certain area (Belong) in that area as it is History from the area they are found,all i am after is a engine to rstore I cant afford to buy such a beast so i have to hunt for them, even if they exist,would love a wright cyclone more than anything, old herc engine to big a thirsty and complicated,thats all dennis,so if by helping groups who are searching for a big cache of parts a engines and i got one i would be over the moon,even if it was 50 of them, etc, sorry t sound greedy ,but just drasticly clinging on to my dream, which the way its going will never happen ,but cant be put down for trying
all the best

Hello Chris I agree you must be very unlucky to search for so long and find nothing. When i spoke to you the other day I thought you were already onto a good dump? and several aircraft. If you need a good digger driver i can recomend Fighter Ace i have seen him in action and he's a Pro, good luck searching.

Member for

17 years 3 months

thanks ever so much for that, i just didnt think to go to that scrap yard called "Merlins are us "":D :confused:

cor whilst i am, at it can i buy a complete He111 fora quid, heard they are going cheep in the costa del sol, and merlins and all this wartime junk ,people just cant seem to shift it, bloody inundated with all this spitfire rubbish,:diablo: :D :p

You would surprised what can be picked up from scrap dealers, some engines are not expensive especialy radials, I have seen several running examples for under £1000. I once imported 15 meteors from the Netherlands for under £500each.

Member for

17 years 3 months

There you go merkle, he's got one or two lying about according to an earlier post on another topic. Make him an offer:)

I have seen them :)

Member for

17 years 3 months

Dont you just love the forum, its just like the predictive text on my phone. You can really get some people going. Wish i had as many bits when i go fishing!!!:D

Figher Ace if you were as good at fishing as you are at recovering aircraft you would hold the British record for the biggest fish LOL:diablo:

Member for

18 years 3 months

here here

yep, i agree graham,
its his "wont take No for a answer" aptitude,
Ive seen him in action,bloody boy wonder,lol:D
makes steve vizzard and the famous mob look like amatuers ,
and he is SOOOO secretive on the ways of the Forster,
the Forster is STRONG in this one Master skywalker"LOL;)

Looks like ive got my engine anyways ,might go and be certain on satday
A Wright Cyclone just need a set of props a hub from a DC3/C47 now
oh and push rods ,and dials etc etc ,
cant wait to get it a one day be at duxford with the others with me B17 engine ,
well from a chopper actually,but its still same engine as a 17,only thing is i am hoping it is the same crank etc so i can fit a nice 3 blader on it :eek:

Member for

18 years 10 months

I take it thats a "no" then?:rolleyes: As recently as 10 years back Pounds Yard in Pompey had Napier (sea)Lions laying about. Place near me has at least 6 9cyl radials laying in the weeds, some with mounts etc still attached... & a complete, but chopped up, S2(?) Tracker filling a hole in his fence.
Another place across town has a complete R4360 stuck in a ditch at the side of the road.. & just up the road from that is a pub with half a Cessna embedded in the roof...& about 15 miles away is a B25 wedged into a canyon...& the engines are just laying there....

So instead of just blowing off my original question with a *(un)witty comeback* you might want to actually look ABOVE ground....... At least from your attitude I can see why you didn't even THINK about asking your local salvage yards....

Member for

18 years 3 months

Sorry to dissapoint you this little beauty is not for sale, there are plenty buried if you know where to look but finding a good one, well that another matter.

Wonder if merlin pete got any room in that old conservetry:D

Attachments

Member for

18 years 3 months

sorry for the sarcasm ,but !

Another place across town has a complete R4360 stuck in a ditch at the side of the road.. & just up the road from that is a pub with half a Cessna embedded in the roof...& about 15 miles away is a B25 wedged into a canyon...& the engines are just laying there....

So instead of just blowing off my original question with a *(un)witty comeback* you might want to actually look ABOVE ground....... At least from your attitude I can see why you didn't even THINK about asking your local salvage yards....[/QUOTE]

Ahh now i understand,you are obviously in the united states,that says it all,
over here in the UK, there is not much left of anything (above ground)and the same with german crashsites,the are only a few yards here in the uk,
I know it would be different in the USA as there is a abundance of stuff and various yards.but honestly here in the uk there is very little in the way of ww2 stuff,or piston,also over here any wreck crashsite cannot be touched without a licence from the defence department,tampering with a wreck site can cost you £5000 fine ($10000) or imprisonment, so its not as easy here in the uk, if you have only a little money,and the cost of shipping a engine would be as dear as it was to buy the engine if i was to ship one from the usa.
sorry if i come across nasty, but i really thought you were being sarcastic to me about going to a yard,i never realised you were from another country,please dont take any offence:D :D :)