NX611

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

Regarding this extremely lucky aircraft(lucky that the Pantons rescued her) now she has returned to active life merlins roaring performing fast taxi runs,and looking terrific, tail up and almost off ,however, and this is purley speculative should NX611s mainspar be replaced (with luck )and she recieves her C.of A. would the Air Certification Board limit flying hours more than PA474s, or would the RAF take the opportunity to give their charge a thorough overhaul (with no time restrictions ) not withstanding the fact she is meticulously maintained.giving NX611 free reign or is there only room for one flying lancaster in this country,conversley should NX611 remain in her present condition thereby alleviating the risk of an air accident (as befell the Bolinbroke) ,for myself i feel airworthy classic airframes should be in their natural environment flown by (obviously) competent aircrews,however there are some who argue (and quite rightlyto some degree) its better to see classic airframes grounded and "safe"rather than risking all as it were.the same rule applies to classic racing cars to a degree:cool: :cool:

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The BBMF operated Lancaster is operated in accordance with Mod guidelines.
How much she is operated is entirely up to the RAF - using the fatigue factors they calculate.They work to set hours to prolong her life and obviously work to a budget. I cannot see why the RAF would consider itself
in competition with any other Lancaster which joined the airshow circuit.
The Panton machine would require far more than a spar change. She would need to be totally stripped down and start again. This would cost multiple millions of pounds . Whilst all this was underway there would be no
attraction to the numerous visitors who beat a path to see her.
She serves a very real purpose as a 'living' memorial - if you wish to see a flying Lancaster visit any number of the displays which PA474 attends.
The sight of the Panton Lancaster would be essentially the same.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Just Jane allows pax for taxi runs, this is the ultimate for the Merlin fan, but I would assume (Rightly or wrongly) the Pantons would allow Jane to be made airworthy if something awful happened to City of Lincoln. Bex

Member for

16 years 7 months

For the time being I feel the PA474/NX611 status quo should be left as it is.

Admittedly part of me says put both in the air,but we very lucky to have a unique situation were we are the only country to have the both flyable and fully taxiable Lancasters.

To put both in the air would immediatly double the risk of losing one in an accident,whilst cost aside, because of the amount of work put into Just Jane's retsoration and current state we have the potential for a future swap as airframe hours for PA474 inevitably run out.

Personally, I would whole-heartedly support a move to put NX611 back in the air if only the Lanc was still available in numbers prserved similar to that of types shuch as B17's,Mustangs,Spitfires etc.

Lets "keep (one of) 'em flying",as long as we can.:)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Aircraft that can taxi is a great sight and also a huge attraction for museums like East Kirkby. For most the taking off is the most enjoyable part of a flight (the rest is boring to look at :diablo: ) . For a taxying aircraft less original parts need to be replaced as opposed to a flying restoration. This is a perfect situation, let's keep it that way and increase some of it with a Bolingbroke or any other suibable aircraft type. it's a sure crowd puller, and good for income.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

16 years 7 months

And I suppose the other factor is where else can you actually win a chance to have a taxi ina Lancaster Bomber?
It's pretty unique, and that would most deffinatly have to stop is she were restored to fly.

I'd love to see her fly but I can't see it happening in the short term to be honest. they have a great set up there, I love going to east Kirkby.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Flying and taxiable lancasters

we are the only country to have the both flyable and fully taxiable Lancasters.

Not for long!;)

Member for

16 years 7 months

That would be fantastic to see Peter,do you have any ideas when?

keep at it,looking forward to it,(keep 'em,flying,taxiing,or restored & looking etc,etc), :D

Member for

16 years 7 months

NX611

thankyou all for the responses.is there a current airframe status report for NX611 available to view?,prior to undergoing any work I assume she will have been inspected etc, and is there a greater stress placed on an airframe when fast taxing/tail up on grass (as opposed to concrete )undulating surface etc if so NX611 cannot be in bad fettle to carry out these manouvres as ive seen on the numerous videos available,,as to finance well if a fund were put into operation for her restoration to flying status the cash would come in from many sources (and possibly not the UK).ive seen PA474 many times over the years, some before her mid upper was fitted she gives me great pleasure, Nx611 flying would ease up her load and prolong her flying hours ,i see no competion factor at all the very opposite in fact each live quite close so liason would be much easier, if government can waste precious funds on millenium domes NX611s finances are a drop in the ocean, why then whitehall could put its hand in its pocket? why not! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Member for

19 years

..... i see no competion factor at all ....

Am I right in thinking that the BBMF do not charge for appearances of the Lancaster (although I believe there are specific insurance requirements)?

If I am right then it would surely be difficult for a privately-operated Lancaster (such as NX611) to operate as they would have to charge for appearances - unless, of course, a sponsor was found.

Roger Smith.

Member for

24 years 2 months

thankyou all for the responses.is there a current airframe status report for NX611 available to view?,...................etc:

Hi there victor45
Have you read your other Forum thread (John Roast etc) - I've sent you some details - just wondered if you've had chance to view. I'm interested to read your response.

Regards

Richard

Member for

16 years 7 months

john roast

sorry no ill have a look now many thanks :cool: :cool:

Member for

24 years 2 months

We do the whole 'Will/should/when/whatever NX611 fly?' topic about once a year on here, don't we? :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Victor - The Panton Lancaster is privately owned. Therefore government funding to get her in the air would be extremely unlikely. Secondly what would be gained by having an empty hangar at East Kirkby when she is away flying? Would that be much of an attraction to the public . Lastly if the Panton Lancaster was flying - how would it be funded and what justification would there be to keep PA474 in the air when the bean counters could see a privately operated machine flying at air displays at no cost to the Mod .

Member for

24 years 2 months

...what justification would there be to keep PA474 in the air when the bean counters could see a privately operated machine flying at air displays at no cost to the Mod .

I think this is going a bit far, David. After all, the BBMF has been expanded over the years - the Dakota, the Spitfire IX and soon the Spitfire XVI. All of these types are represented in the civillian warbird sector, but they have still been added to the flight. I don't see that another Lancaster operating in the UK would lead to the grounding of PA474. That said, the only way I could imagine a Lancaster flying in civvy hands would be if someone with very deep pockets paid for it and its operation.

Member for

16 years 7 months

We do the whole 'Will/should/when/whatever NX611 fly?' topic about once a year on here, don't we? :rolleyes:

thats what this forum is about isnt it?:mad: :mad:

Member for

21 years

Nx611 flying would ease up her load and prolong her flying hours

Don't think there's much of an issue with '474's flying hours.

IIRC, the 'official' view after BAe did the re-spar, was that at BBMF hours usage she was good for another 50 years easily, and the availability of Avgas was more likely to ground her before she ran out of hours.....

Member for

16 years 7 months

Don't think there's much of an issue with '474's flying hours.

IIRC, the 'official' view after BAe did the re-spar, was that at BBMF hours usage she was good for another 50 years easily, and the availability of Avgas was more likely to ground her before she ran out of hours.....

thats good to know :cool:

Member for

19 years 4 months

Incidentally, nice view of NX611 on Google Earth, but I can't work out how it gets to the runway from the ariel picture, badly phrased, from the hangar to the runway.

Member for

17 years 7 months

Personally I'd rather see the Hampden finished or a composite Wellington at East Kirkby before money was used to put NX611 in the air.

As she is NX611 is a great memorial to the men of Bomber Command and East Kirkby is one of the few places the public can get up close to a "live" WW2 bomber,something which may not be so easy is she was back in the air.

Garry.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Personally I'd rather see the Hampden finished or a composite Wellington at East Kirkby before money was used to put NX611 in the air.

As she is NX611 is a great memorial to the men of Bomber Command and East Kirkby is one of the few places the public can get up close to a "live" WW2 bomber,something which may not be so easy is she was back in the air.

Garry.

And that is how the Pantons wish it to remain. A NX611 is the core of the museum, and they do not wish her to fly, if she could. She certainly is in a good enough condition to technically get off the ground, but will never realistically be fully airworthy.

'Tis a nice thought though.....

DS