Picture's of S S Mk B IV Mosquito Bomber

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

Here is the Mosquito I recently acquired. I was privileged to be offered this Beautiful aircraft and hope we can make her as accessible as possible for all to enjoy for more pictures here is a link, http://www.spitfirespares.com/
Click on the Mosquito icon on the home page. Enjoy :)

Original post

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hey it's the Kemble repro Mosquito/Canberra etc.... :D

Did the guy give up then ? Bruce, what say yee....?

http://www.bc-heritage.org/bch/KMProject.asp

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53503/

Edit: Graham, planning on installing 2x Meteors then ? Now that would be something to see !!

Well rumbled already!!:D Yes it’s the Kemble Mosquito; Dave decided to give her up after storage hassles. I obviously wanted to keep quiet about her ID until the sale went through; it’s been very entertaining seeing the rumour mill get going and the speculation of what she was. Sorry :diablo:

I really do want to complete the Job, meteors would probably be the limit of my pocket although allot more hassle to fit. The experience gained doing our replica Spit could make this a real possibility, but obviously the wings are a very big job. She needs a fair bit done to the Cockpit there are allot of non original parts and there is allot to add, hoping I will be getting visits from some of the Mossy experts "Bruce?" I really think getting all the various controls and equipment right and original is important.
Saying that I feel really privileged to own her, Dave did a superb job over the last eleven years and she is a real credit to his determination and skill.

Member for

24 years 3 months

When you first hinted at a Mosquito, I thought it must be this one.

Its nice to see what has been done finally. However, for someone to have gone to so much trouble to build a Mosquito, and to make so many fundamental errors in shape, it is a little disappointing.

I am unsure how you will attach a wing, owing to the fact that the fuselage is built without provision for it - there should be a large 'U' shaped hole where the green painted area is.

I would be happy to come over and offer sone advice, but before I do, would extend an invitation for you to come over to the museum, and have a look at our aircraft. I am sure you can improve on what is there - and I can probably help with some bits and bobs.

Cheers for now

Bruce

Member for

17 years 3 months

When you first hinted at a Mosquito, I thought it must be this one.

Its nice to see what has been done finally. However, for someone to have gone to so much trouble to build a Mosquito, and to make so many fundamental errors in shape, it is a little disappointing.

I am unsure how you will attach a wing, owing to the fact that the fuselage is built without provision for it - there should be a large 'U' shaped hole where the green painted area is.

I would be happy to come over and offer sone advice, but before I do, would extend an invitation for you to come over to the museum, and have a look at our aircraft. I am sure you can improve on what is there - and I can probably help with some bits and bobs.

Cheers for now

Bruce

Bruce

Thanks for the offer, will try to visit soon can you PM the address?
Whats wrong with the shape? are you goiung from the pictures or have you seen it in the flesh? It could be the picture's not giving the true dimmensions. I cannot Dave belive built this without a plan, would have thought it almost impossible without them.
Fitting the wing is a long way off although its something Dave had given some thought too and passed the info on. There are a few instruments and controls I don't like and am going to replace them with correctly dated. Still overal its a superb find for me, just need a Lanc to complete the set LOL I wish:D

Member for

19 years 1 month

..... just need a Lanc to complete the set LOL I wish:D

Better give Mr. Jackson a ring :diablo: :diablo:

Roger Smith.

Member for

17 years 5 months

just need a Lanc to complete the set LOL I wish:D

Not quite Graham, need a Hurricane then your set will be complete :p However, once you have said Hurricane, then gimme a call, and Id love to help u look after it.......... D'oh my secrets out, Cranberrys aint my only vice ;)

Bex

Member for

17 years 3 months

Not quite Graham, need a Hurricane then your set will be complete :p However, once you have said Hurricane, then gimme a call, and Id love to help u look after it.......... D'oh my secrets out, Cranberrys aint my only vice ;)

Bex

Bex

Got the Hurricane unfortunately all in bits, to many projects so little time!

http://www.spitfirespares.com/SpitfireSpares.com/Pages/Hurricane%20restoration.html

Member for

17 years 3 months

Better give Mr. Jackson a ring :diablo: :diablo:

Roger Smith.

Those replica Lancs will have to end up somewhere after the film!!!!!!!! It won't be in my unit its full, need a lottery win and big new shiny hangar, maybe one day:)

Member for

17 years 5 months

WOW

Graham, thanks for the link, all I can say is WOW!!! Oh & good luck too :D Bex

Member for

24 years 3 months

Graham,

If you go to the following site:

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/

You will find directions to the museum. I am around 3 weekends out of 4 or so. Let me know before you come.

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's certainly a magnificent achievement and shows what can be done with determination and passion.

Not having seen it in the flesh, I don't what Bruce is referring to to in particular regarding shape but the canopy looks a mile out to me.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Canopy and more pics

Have had a discussion with Bruce about the canopy and he thinks it can be put right:) . Have added some more pics of the whole thing follow the link.
http://www.spitfirespares.com/

Member for

17 years 7 months

Bruce is right,

If a Mosquito canopy can be found the whole thing is transformed. The current canopy looks like a cartoon.
That doesn't mean this isn't a great achievement. It deserves to be completed, only to do justice to the man who started it.

Tried to find pics of Lincoln Nietszche's (spelling?) mossie fuselage reconstruction but came up nought. But he had the opportunity to find any Mosquito bits apart from the wood (which had rotted away). In Oz and New Zealand there must be more Mosquito bits lurking.

Cheers
Cees

Member for

17 years 3 months

Bruce is right,

If a Mosquito canopy can be found the whole thing is transformed. The current canopy looks like a cartoon.
That doesn't mean this isn't a great achievement. It deserves to be completed, only to do justice to the man who started it.

Tried to find pics of Lincoln Nietszche's (spelling?) mossie fuselage reconstruction but came up nought. But he had the opportunity to find any Mosquito bits apart from the wood (which had rotted away). In Oz and New Zealand there must be more Mosquito bits lurking.

Cheers
Cees

Cees

You may think it looks like a cartoon, but you would'nt say that if you saw it for real, the canopy is a heck of a thing to make some windows are hinged and all the glass has been hand molded to fit, the entire frame was fabricated, it may not be right but its no cartoon, there arent many people around that can make a thing like this from scratch. It may be that he reached His limitations in reproducing it exactly. To be honest its only die hard Mosquito fans that would notice. I certainly didnt have a clue it wasnt right when i saw it, to be honest it took my breath away. How often do any of us see a Mosquito?? a complete replacement canopy practically impossible to find. If someone like Hawker restoration had to make one you would be looking at tens of thousands of £s to make.
If its within my capabilities i hope to improve it but the Spit still has to finished and thats the main priority.
To described it as a cartoon is rubbish:confused:

Member for

18 years 2 months

Describing it as a cartoon is taking it too far. The canopy is just a little too tall from what I can tell from the pics Ive seen from it. Cant see anything more wrong than that.

Besides, I wouldnt know how to build a Mosquito in a million years so Ill keep my mouth shut :D

Member for

17 years 5 months

Cheers
Cees

Cees,

It's a tricky one, but it's spelt Lincoln Nitschke, and you can see his museum here.....

Lincoln Nitschke Collection

He sent me some photo's of his amazing cockpit reproduction scaled from r/c model plans, then he did indeed stumble across the metalwork from the real thing, so promptly built himself a fuselage for that.

I'm sure our friends downunder (Battle, Stormbird etc....) will elaborate further.

Cheers....

Member for

17 years 3 months

I'll make it easy, here are a Real Mossie and my Replica together, bearing in mind the picture of mine is not exactly side on.

Member for

24 years 3 months

My immediate reaction was too high, too vertical and too short. Having now seen the two side by side, it may just be too vertical but I wouldn't take bets on it.

I thought twice about posting my original comments as this Mossie is far more than I've ever done and a magnificent job.

However, if you're building something that purports to be a replica, and real ones exist to check with, it shouldn't be any harder to build something about right than wrong.

In similar vein, there was a gas turbine powered R/C Vulcan around a year or two back. Obviously again a labour of love and cost innumerable man-hours and thousands of pounds. The cockpit canopy was far too large and it stuck out like a sore thumb. The rest of the airframe may well have been perfect but such a glaring error detracted from the whole thing.

Member for

18 years 3 months

well does look a little different but would think this was like it is due to cost of molding the perspex, i guess that he may have found a window similar as not everyone has deep pockets. looks good enough to me graham wish he was in my shed!!.

If all the rivit counters put as much time helping out than slagging off other peoples projects, you may get it near perfect. we are not trying to re-invent the wheel again here

Member for

17 years 7 months

well does look a little different but would think this was like it is due to cost of molding the perspex, i guess that he may have found a window similar as not everyone has deep pockets. looks good enough to me graham wish he was in my shed!!.

If all the rivit counters put as much time helping out than slagging off other peoples projects, you may get it near perfect. we are not trying to re-invent the wheel again here

Graham and Ace,

Hmmm, I could have expected this, is my English that bad? :dev2: :)

I'm not slagging off other peoples projects (read my post carefully).
I know exactly what a Mosquito canopy looks like, as opposed to you I think.

About being a rivet counter. Yes, indeed I am. Recently I counted 15 rivets on either side of upper skin of the throttle controls duct on my Halifax pilots chassis. You yeed to count otherwise it's not according to drawings:p

Do not turn this into a flaming war. We all have opinions don't we?

Peace peace:)

Cees