Blenheim Dug Up In Somerset (Merged)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

:) You can find the exclusive story and picture's of the recovery of Bristol Blenheim R3912 TODAY the 15/07/07 here http://www.spitfirespares.com/
ENJOY

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Ahh, the hard work. Nice recovery, makes my fingers itch to dig in.
Have to wait a few weeks though

Cheers

Cees

Member for

20 years 8 months

Much fine work was done that day it seems. Now for the laborious task of cleaning and cataloguing. It will be a labour of love I'm sure. Well done.

Member for

17 years 3 months

I have to say it was great fun. Watching all that history emerging was awesome. I dug a Spitfire PRU a few years ago and after a load of work and expence we ended up with a bucket full. 67 MU did a real job on it because it crashed due to engine failiure and the Pilot bailed out. That sort of put me off and with all the other things i have going on, its something i didnt pursue. This had really given me the bug and i am hoping for get a few more invites. Will be updating the site with pictures of the wreckage cleaned up.
Recovery is not really represented on my site and its something I am keen to expand so if anyone pictures etc of crash sites that have excavated and want to share I'll upload them.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well, be sure to give us a heads up on here when you post the post clean up pics please.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Will it be at....

oh sorry. ;)

Member for

17 years 3 months

Will it be at....

oh sorry. ;)

yes LOL i'll post a link, will have another recovery to report in a couple of weeks, twin Merlins:D , rest is classified for now. :cool:

Member for

17 years

R3912

:dev2: Dear all, plus graham!! as already mentioned, Somerset Aviation Enthusiasts recovered Blenheim R3912 on Saturday. I would like to thank all who came to help me on the day, also to use the forum to post special thanks to the following people who have helped bring this 10 year project to fruition. Mark Evans, Squadron Leader Alan Swann (EOD) Sue Raftree, Deborah Morgan, all at English Nature, the Welsh Boys + John C. As already mentioned in a previoue thread, SS will be posting more picures as will Simon Parrys Aviation Archoligy web page.

It was a great dig with much material to sort through, i have sore hands and back ache already!!

Member for

18 years 2 months

yes LOL i'll post a link, will have another recovery to report in a couple of weeks, twin Merlins:D , rest is classified for now. :cool:

MMMMMMMmmmmmm let me guess a mossi, i better get me shovel polished up and a screwdriver for that shiny Rolls Royce Merlin 25 label:D

Member for

17 years 7 months

Blenheim Dug Up In Somerset

Saw this on this morning's habitual catch up with the news on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6927391.stm. Although it it difficult to say, given the poor quality of the caption photo there looks to to be quite a large piece of wreckage. Does anyone have any more info?

Member for

17 years 4 months

Info like this?

from http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1560408.mostviewed.war_plane_recovered_at_pawlett_after_65_years.php

ALMOST exactly 65 years after a World War Two plane crashed at Pawlett, killing its crew, the aircraft has been recovered - thanks to a ten-year labour of love by a Somerset man.

Plane enthusiast Tim Hake confesses to being "obsessed" with aviation archaeology, finding, researching and sometimes recovering aircraft from war-time crash sites.

He is part of a group called Somerset Aviation Enthusiasts, and in 1996 he and Highbridge historian Colin Parish set out to locate and recover a Bristol Blenheim bomber thought to have crashed at Pawlett Hams.

Tim told the Mercury: "Luckily, Colin's father knew exactly where the location was and it was duly logged.

"We located the joint landowners living not far from me, so permission was asked to do a dig.

"To cut a long story short, there then followed 10 years of research - blood, sweat and tears - until last Saturday when the recovery took place."

Tim's research has provided him with a full history of the aircraft, the crash report, and pictures of the crew who perished when the plane went down on July 5, 1942.

Tim said: "It was as close to the 65th anniversary as we could manage. The recovery involved friends from Germany and all around the UK.

"Much material was recovered from a very large hole. We are now starting to clean and catalogue parts. It is hoped that some material can be exhibited in a local museum.

"It is also hoped that some form of memorial can be placed near the site. It would be a fitting tribute to three young men who gave their all, only to die in tragic circumstances in our county."

You can see details of the tragic crew and the plane's final journey in Tuesday's Mercury.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Saw this on this morning's habitual catch up with the news on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6927391.stm. Although it it difficult to say, given the poor quality of the caption photo there looks to to be quite a large piece of wreckage. Does anyone have any more info?

This one discussed here recently perhaps ?.........

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72334

Member for

17 years 7 months

Thanks lads - yes I had forgotten seeing the previous thread. Does anyone have any pictures?

Member for

17 years

R3912

Thanks to all reading the forum. The BBC points west carried the story in the TV news tonight, also Radio Bristol this morning. I must admit i am a bit overawed at the response from all the media coverage. It was never my intention to attract publicity, but i am eternally glad that my efforts have given 3 young aircrew some recognition for the sacrfice the made for us. As you can imagine there is still much work to do cleaning and identifying parts. Bristol aero heritage are comming to visit me on Sunday to veiw the wreckage, it is hoped that they will exhibit some of the parts at Kemble as part of a Bleheim exhibition so that they can be enjoyed by all.

Just as an aside could any forum readers continue to help??? R3912 appears to have had battle damage repairs carried out at some point? would any body be able to point me in the right direction to find a photo of this Aircraft either with 13 OTU or with other squadrons since its issue, as you can imagine this would be the "icing " on the cake. I am hoping to get some more pictures posted on the Spitfire spares site ASAP.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Thanks to all reading the forum. The BBC points west carried the story in the TV news tonight, also Radio Bristol this morning. I must admit i am a bit overawed at the response from all the media coverage. It was never my intention to attract publicity, but i am eternally glad that my efforts have given 3 young aircrew some recognition for the sacrfice the made for us. As you can imagine there is still much work to do cleaning and identifying parts. Bristol aero heritage are comming to visit me on Sunday to veiw the wreckage, it is hoped that they will exhibit some of the parts at Kemble as part of a Bleheim exhibition so that they can be enjoyed by all.

Just as an aside could any forum readers continue to help??? R3912 appears to have had battle damage repairs carried out at some point? would any body be able to point me in the right direction to find a photo of this Aircraft either with 13 OTU or with other squadrons since its issue, as you can imagine this would be the "icing " on the cake. I am hoping to get some more pictures posted on the Spitfire spares site ASAP.

This story relates to my previous post on the day of the dig here is the link to those pictures, just follow the link once on the site. We are excavating a mossie tomorrow and with permission I will be posting pics of that dig. Will post a link when its done. Hoping to visit Archy Boy this weekend to help claen up the Blenheim and will add pictures of it when its been cleaned up.
ENJOY:) http://www.spitfirespares.com/

Member for

17 years 7 months

This story relates to my previous post on the day of the dig here is the link to those pictures, just follow the link once on the site. We are excavating a mossie tomorrow and with permission I will be posting pics of that dig. Will post a link when its done. Hoping to visit Archy Boy this weekend to help claen up the Blenheim and will add pictures of it when its been cleaned up.
ENJOY:) http://www.spitfirespares.com/

Thanks Graham! Look forward to seeing the cleaned up pics and the Mossie ones - although I suppose that interest in aircraft wreckage is a bit macabre of me really.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Merged thread

To make it easier, I have Merged both threads for the Blenheim

Member for

17 years 3 months

although I suppose that interest in aircraft wreckage is a bit macabre of me really.

Not in the slightest and if it is there are quite a few people like you:cool:

Member for

17 years

R3912

I see the Sun ran a short piece today, i guess both parties have an interset in Big Bristols!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

17 years

Blenheim R3912 April 08 update

Dear Blenheim fans, just thought i would keep you updated on progress from the above project.

This week volunteers from the Kembal based Bristol Aero collection came down to Somerset to pick up various large pieces of R3912 which included: One complete undercarrage assembly, crankcase with Pistons, a complete engine cylnder assembly, outer spar attatchment booms, prop hub and blade.
These parts will be made into a memorial display for R3912 and all Blenheim crews who lost their lives whilst flying these machines.

Today, "Blenheim Bill" Morgan and collegue Dave have been sifting through all the remaining wreckage searching for parts and brackets which either will fit with restoration or will provide patterns for the reconstruction of their Bollingbroke project also with the BAC at Kembal.
We recently had some mail from a relative of SGT Gilbert McBoyle who sadly perished on R3912, she was researching her family tree and came across her relatives name on a Google search. She was very pleased to learn via Simon Parrys website the full story of what had happened, apparently the family new very little. Another thanks to the team who helped a family unravel their sad loss. This recovery is also carried on the new Rememberance Society website: Melvin you still owe me Money!!!!!!